How much is TOO Sodium on Low Carb Diet?

Options
...my diary is open so you can check it.

One day I ate a HIGH protein seafood meal in a restaurant...though high protein...I think it may have had a bit too much sodium. At restaurants you never know just how much??

Any advice would be welcomed!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    when i know i'm eating something uber salty (pastrami is my current fave) i just make sure i drink HEAPS of water to help flush it out.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake is not related to your carb intake, so low-carb or high-carb, you still don't want too much sodium. You also don't want too little.

The important thing in balancing out sodium intake, besides staying well-hydrated, is to make sure you're getting enough potassium. Potassium is available in almost every kind of food, but your best bets for higher levels are vegetables and dark green leafy things. http://www.essortment.com/food-high-potassium-36046.html

All that said, one day of high sodium isn't going to kill you. It might make you retain some excess water, so you might want to hold off on weighing yourself for a couple of days until it flushes out of your system. Just dont' make a habit of letting your sodium intake go sky-high, and you'll be fine.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    thanks! I ate in a restaurant and the protein (meat/fish) was delicious. When foods are delicious it usually means (in my taste buds) too much salt and/or fat. the FAT is OK...salt not!

:-)
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Why isn't salt ok for you? It doesn't affect health much (not even blood pressure) unless you are one of the few extremely sensitive people or you have too much salt and throw off your potassium/sodium ratio or enough to feel crappy. For me, too much is like 4000mg where I feel like I've had too much, but I naturally stay around 1500mg naturally just eating unprocessed food.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    <
    Average 3k sodium daily. No problem.
  • IselaCB
    IselaCB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about sodium. Once you kick out all processed food, most of that sodium is gone. Because of this, don't be afraid of salt! It makes food delicious! Salt your food!! It's the processed stuff that will do the damage.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284/

Your kidneys naturally balance the amount of sodium stored in your body for optimal health. When your sodium levels are low, your kidneys essentially hold on to the sodium. When sodium levels are high, your kidneys excrete the excess in urine.
    But if for some reason your kidneys can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, which increases pressure in your arteries.

I try to limit my sodium to <1500mg, otherwise it sets off my Atrial Fibrillation.