LCHF for "Dummies"

Options
deansdad101
deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Sorry about the "dummies" crack but if it got your attention and you can get past the implications......

Anyway, stumbled across a name I wasn't familiar with thanks to an indirect link in a GaleHawkins post where he referenced some historical data charts and graphs (thanks GH).

One of the charts used the name Skaldeman to identify one result and not being familiar with the term I hit up the googlemachine.

Turns out he's a Swedish (I think) guy, not an MD, but "just" a guy who had tried every diet known to man and finally, in a last ditch effort, went against everything his doc advised and went LCHF. From a starting weight >300# obese, pre T2D, and with the highest blood pressure ever measured by the doc who advised him he had "6 months to live" - he lost >150#'s, improved ALL his markers and is still alive and kicking.

He started LCHF to lose weight but quickly realized that the "real" benefits were health related and, in his case at least, truly a matter of "life and death".

He truly was a "pioneer" in the LCHF movement, particularly in what is known as the Scandinavian Diet which is basically LCHF but remained relatively unknown outside of Scandinavia since much of it was never translated to English.

I've been unable to find much on the interwebs that is in English although his book was finally translated and is now available on kindle.

I'm only about half way through it but so far VERY impressed - not because there's much "new" from what is available elsewhere, EXCEPT that he's presenting the info in a way that is truly "easy" and "understandable" for those that don't wish to become entangled in all the science "jargon".

Not only does he provide a wealth of simple to follow meal recipes but perhaps even more importantly for those unwilling or unable to deal with all the "math" involved in calculating macro ratios and whether total "cals-in" matters or not, his method really does put it at an easy to understand, and implement level. And all with very "basic" (as in 5th grade) "math".

In a nutshell he deals ONLY with fat, carbs, and protein levels in grams (weight) with NO need to convert to cals and with info that is available directly on the nutrition labels.

The ONLY "math" involved is adding protein and fat grams (from the label) dividing fat grams by the sum to arrive at what he calls the "fat burning ratio".

So, if the item has 100g fat, 80g protein, and 20g carbs (just for example) the calculation would be:
100g F / (80g P + 20g C)
100/100 = 1.0

Anything above 1.0 is "good",
and HIGHER is BETTER (so 1.25 "better", 1.5 even "more better")

He then advises that one assigns themselves to one of three "groups" or levels depending on their current circumstances and goals. Each "group" being successively more stringent and requiring a higher "fat burning quotient".

As one progresses toward their goals (weight wise) they "may" elect to move down the ladder to the next (less stringent) group.

There are specific diet (meal) recipes for each group as well as a number of "general" ideas for things like sauces and gravies.

The (free) kindle "preview" is available here;
tinyurl.com/mho3ssc
and the ebook is less than $10 bucks.

If you do nothing else I can't urge you strongly enough to at least read the preview and decide for yourself but I really do believe it's a worthwhile purchase for pretty much anyone interested in LCHF and the only "dummies" would be those that don't at least take a look.

Enjoy

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    SO, if I find other calculations work for me why would I need this? Curiosity...
  • deansdad101
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    SO, if I find other calculations work for me why would I need this? Curiosity...
    Cindy;

Short answer.....you wouldn't ("need this"),
    although you "might" still find it interesting.

I guess I wasn't able to convey my intent that it's primarily meant for those who have "issues" with "other calculations" and for whom they don't "work" - sorry, my bad.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's interesting. It would make many of my cheeses bad (8g fat / (8g protein + trace-g carb) ... is less than 1. Of course, it's probably close enough to 1 for most purposes. That said, cheese is probably one of my weaknesses and one way to stop weight loss for me. Not that I worry too much about it since I am only trying to maintain these days.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thank you Deansdad101 for the good review and urge to have a look see. I just bought the book and I will start reading it tonight. LOVE the kindle for the instant gratification. It has been years since I have read Atkins and I am sure there is a lot I have forgotten and maybe a new perspective is a good thing.
    Adding I am clueless with macros. All new since I was LCHF before. So for me this might be really good.

Chris
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have not gone wrong with http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ That is why I asked. I know different strokes for different folks...just wondering if it was anything new and fantabulous!
  • deansdad101
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    It's interesting. It would make many of my cheeses bad (8g fat / (8g protein + trace-g carb) ... is less than 1. Of course, it's probably close enough to 1 for most purposes. That said, cheese is probably one of my weaknesses and one way to stop weight loss for me. Not that I worry too much about it since I am only trying to maintain these days.
    Frob;

Not necessarily.
    Cheeses are a "weakness" of ours as well and we consume them almost daily in one form or another.

We're "lucky" though in that they don't seem to impede weight loss (although to be honest, never really tried eliminating to see if it would have an effect).

In any case, I don't think it's in the preview, but further on in the book he incorporates cheese in a number of recipes including sauces and in combo with ground meats (which we have done for years).

The sauces and gravy sections alone are worth the price of admission (IMO).

• deansdad101
    Options
    Thank you Deansdad101 for the good review and urge to have a look see. I just bought the book and I will start reading it tonight. LOVE the kindle for the instant gratification. It has been years since I have read Atkins and I am sure there is a lot I have forgotten and maybe a new perspective is a good thing.
    Adding I am clueless with macros. All new since I was LCHF before. So for me this might be really good.

Chris
    Chris;

You are more than welcome.

Even "A" has changed over the years and you are correct that LCHF isn't the same - they do have much in common but differences as well.

His approach to macros makes it much easier to both "calculate" and to "comprehend" and provides an easy to understand explanation of the "why" it matters.

I think (and hope) you will, enjoy it.

As I said in another post, just the meal/recipe suggestions are worth it for me.

One additional point that has become clear the further I get into it, especially for those in the US, is that some of the references will be somewhat "foreign" to us.

The units of measurement (metric) of course since we've only been "converting" to (or at least "learning") that system since about 1974 if I remember correctly <vbg>, but he has made the conversions for many of them.

The other thing is a number of terms that are familiar to those on the other side of the pond probably are not here.

Who knew that creme fraiche didn't contain strawberries, that minced meat = ground beef/pork, or that stinging nettles are actually one of the most nutrient rich "greens" one can eat!

The googlemachine is your friend though and solves many "riddles".

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey DD,

Thanks for letting us know about the book.

Quick question - Do the sauce and gravy recipes use sweeteners?

Thanks. ;)
  • Sajyana
    Options
    There is also a book containing just his recipes:

amazon.com/The-Low-Carb-High-Cookbook/dp/162087783X

• deansdad101
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    There is also a book containing just his recipes:

amazon.com/The-Low-Carb-High-Cookbook/dp/162087783X
    Saj;

Looks like that's only available in hardcover and about twice the price but for those who want hardcover it'll work (no more room on our bookshelves for more cookbooks <g>).

It's weird though since the preview says "this is preview of the kindle version....", but when you click on the kindle version it goes to a dead link so......

The summary says "contains 100 recipes" and while I haven't counted the number in the other one it seems like at least 100 to me. Might be different ones, not sure and probably can't tell without buying them both.

My "guess" would be you get most, if not all in the ebook.

As far as your question about sweeteners, if by that you mean artificials (SA's), he's not big on them and I only recall one mention in one recipe so far. Stevia, I think, so generally speaking, no.

Lots of butter, cream, cheeses, eggs (or just yolks), in the sauces and pan drippings, cream, etc in the gravies.

edit; Take a look at the "reviews" for the hardcover if you haven't already. One big difference is the pictures which a couple have described as "beautiful" and "more like a coffee table book" if that appeals to you.

One comment about "lots of potatoes and starches" which definitely isn't true in the one I have and sounds like a crackpot.

I think I'd try the ebook first and if the hardcover appeals to you, maybe take a look at one in a bookstore before buying.
  • Sajyana
    Options
    Thank you for all the information. If it appears that most of the recipes are included in the original book then that would be the preferred option both for convenience and the additional information.

I asked about the SA's because I don't like the taste of them and I'm wary about using them in family recipes as my kids can have adverse reactions to flavourings and preservatives so I don't like to take the chance of making them ill. That does have it's positives though. We've been avoiding processed foods for so many years that I didn't have to give them up. :)
  • deansdad101
    Options

Chris
    Chris;

If you (or anyone else who reads the book) would take a few minutes after you read it and post your impressions, I'd appreciate it and it might help others decide if it's "right" for them or not.

Positive or negative, it matters not (I have no vested interested and I'm certainly not "bias-free") - plus I'm pretty thick-skinned so no worries there <g>.

Thanks in advance.

• shadesofidaho
    Options
    Deansdad, I am only 12% through the book. I have chores to deal with but hope to get some more reading in later today. Anxious to get the the recipes because we might be making a trip to town and always good to stock up.

And just as I am typing this my hubby found the post driver I have been looking for for 2 days. PHEW Now I have more chores finishing up the fence I was repairing. If the snow permits.

Catch you on the flip side of this day.

Chris
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Well the day changed. The road was cleared so off to town to get more fencing but could not stop at grocery. Long load small parking lot.

Deansdad. If you could help me knock this into my head. As simple as it should be it is confusing me. My brain feels on overload.

I think my Food is visible to all. I will check. Yesterday I just ran a total on my foods to keep it simple. My Fats were 72 and my carbs 19 and Protein were 48 = 67. If I am doing this correctly 72 minus 67 =5. So I am a 5.0 ?? And this is good?

I am heading back outside to work.

Thank you for the help.
  • deansdad101
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well the day changed. The road was cleared so off to town to get more fencing but could not stop at grocery. Long load small parking lot.

Deansdad. If you could help me knock this into my head. As simple as it should be it is confusing me. My brain feels on overload.

I think my Food is visible to all. I will check. Yesterday I just ran a total on my foods to keep it simple. My Fats were 72 and my carbs 19 and Protein were 48 = 67. If I am doing this correctly 72 minus 67 =5. So I am a 5.0 ?? And this is good?

I am heading back outside to work.

Thank you for the help.
    Chris;

Close (and 5.0 would be spectacular.....), but....

Your example would actually be 1.07
    F/(P+C)
    72/(19+48)
    72/67 = 1.07
    or, for today (so far, w/o dinner), and yes, your diary is visible....
    65F / (33P + 9C)
    65/42 = 1.55

Both numbers are "good" (just not quite as good as 5.0 <g>)

But remember, it's just a "guide" not hard and fast.

As you get into the book you'll see how he uses the "fat burning ratio" on a meal by meal basis and it's perfectly acceptable to have one meal <1.0 and another >2.0.

He also ties it into the three "groups" which he calls 2+, 4+, and 8+ (still haven't figured out where those names come from).

The groups are roughly comparable to the concept "A" (and other LCHF programs) endorse.

For each group, he advises a strict, per meal (or per day) TOTAL carb limit (similar to the <20 carb "induction" phase).

He also suggests that as users "progress" on their dietary journey that they move from the first level (8+ for those with a large amount of weight to lose), to 4+ and then to 2+.

Again, similar to what a significant portion (if not the vast majority) of current proponents of "most" LCHF programs endorse.

He (and I believe the Scandinavian plan in general) is, however, more specific (and more stringent) on both the absolute numbers and individual issues like "cheats" and "net" carbs.

When you get to the individual menu items, you'll see that he provides "fat burning index" numbers for many of them. (and some will likely surprise you, they did me).

• shadesofidaho
    Options
    Thank you Deansdad,

I knew some thing was off. It is divided not subtracted. I will read more of the book and excited for the recipes. I took the book to town with us and read on the way down. Hubby was chatty on the way back. It looks like it will be much later tonight before I can do much more reading. Need to make dinner and I am going to quickly look for one of his sauces for some thing for me because hubby is having lasagna. A no no for me. He said it was good.

I guess I am an 8+ because I need to loose 60 pounds then more if I am up to it. I can not face more then the thought of 60. Only 18 down. But it goes so slow for me.

Thanks again. I will try to be more careful with each meal. I figured over all would be good enough. Guess not.
    Chris
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I think I have it!! So I did okay with dinner except I realized I forgot to use a meat. I might have to add a hard boiled egg. His sauce was very good. It was Alfredo. I did not make as much as he said to make. I just made enough for this one meal.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    I think I have it!! So I did okay with dinner except I realized I forgot to use a meat. I might have to add a hard boiled egg. His sauce was very good. It was Alfredo. I did not make as much as he said to make. I just made enough for this one meal.
    Chris;

18# is nothing to sneeze at - you're off to a good start and more importantly approaching it with an attitude that will serve you well.

Glad you liked the sauce but too bad you didn't make more (it would have been great on a nice bacon, mushroom, spinach, and cheese omelette in the morning <g>.

Part of what I like about his recipes (and his approach) is that much of it goes along pretty well with what we have always done. (not so much the macros until recently but rather the "use whatever you have on hand" and "a little of this, little of that 'til it tastes good" cooking technique.

Even before we retired "leftovers" were a mainstay and he shares this approach too - "always make twice what you need and stick the rest in the frig for tomorrow" - works for us.

His stuffed, rolled, minute steaks for breakfast are on our "short list".

18+ is strict and you "might" want to ease into it but I have no doubt you'll do fine when you're ready and decide to jump in with both feet.

• shadesofidaho
    Options
    For now I am going to have to keep with what I know with a grain of what he is teaching until I can get into the swing of it. And LOTS of his recipes. I am going on what I remember from Atkins years ago and what I am learning here and another LCHF forum.

I would have made more sauce, tonight I was just too tired so broke it down to one portion for tonight. I do like to make meals to have left overs. Joe will be eating his lasagna for two more meals plus two meals in the freezer. Next time I do a lasagna for him I am going to do one for me with ingredients and sauce I can eat. I might do that soon as his looked so good. It was done in the crock pot. A FB recipe.
  • Sajyana
    Options
    I bought the book. I skimmed through it, read the section on 8+ (having more than 8 stone to lose) as it relates to me and then I skipped to the recipes. There is a list of recipes with links to the pages at the end of the book. You can link to the recipes from the Contents.

This is what I've been looking for. Simple, easy to follow recipes. Especially the sauces. I've had trouble adding fats and sauces are the answer. I made a sauce to have with steak last night and am making the hollandaise to have with bacon, eggs and spinach for breakfasts.

You are right that the book is book is written in an easy to follow and understand manner. I may one day go back and read the entire book but for now I have the information I was searching for.

Thanks DD.