Fried Radishes?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I was bouncing around on the web last night and found a web site (that I can't find right now) that had low carb fried radishes. Basically quarter them and fry in your favorite oil, salt & pepper. Tonight, I picked up some on my way home. So, I broke my fast (only 24 hrs long) which is earlier than normal, because I was dying to try them.

But I hate radishes. I used to grow them in the garden, because they were so easy and fast to grow, but then, about the only thing you could put them in was a salad. I don't like eating them raw, too strong.

But, in the past, people said fried green tomatoes taste good. I didn't even like the thought of eating a green tomato. I didn't try them until I was 54 years old. They were really good! They absolutely didn't have the taste that you imagined. The same with Radishes.

Apparently, heat destroys the chemical in radishes that make them taste the way they do. Do you know why onions taste sweeter after cooking them? Its not because the onion turns into sugar, because the sugar is always present, but its because the sharp tasting sulfur compounds outgas in the heat. With those compounds gone, you taste the sweetness of the onion.

It takes longer to cook the radishes (10-15 minutes) they are done when the white part turns brown and test with a fork to make sure it goes in easily. I drained and put melted butter over the top. They taste really good as simple as that. You could probably fancy it up with parmesan or some other ingredient.

Here is the count:

100 grams of radishes (I have 94 grams shown in the pic below) = 3.7g carbs, 1.6g fiber
That's pretty low. Lower than tomatoes, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli. These veggies are lower than radishes: zucchini, celery, mushrooms and lettuce.

I can't place the taste, its very mild and different than other veggies. I cooked them with the skin on, because it would be too hard to peel them.

If you are like me, and like to experiment with new lo-carb foods, you should give this a try. I used to make an omelet with potatoes (pre-keto). I think I'm going to try making an omelet with them this weekend.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

cc0rur27arl3.jpg

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    I love radishes, definitely goin to try this!
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Dan, those look awesome. Will definitely try! My favorite way to eat radishes currently has been to slice thin and sprinkle liberally w/ garlic salt. Seems to cut down that "bite-y" taste they can have. But these look like a winner, too!
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They do look awesome! I have baked but never fried.
    tru2one wrote: »
    Dan, those look awesome. Will definitely try! My favorite way to eat radishes currently has been to slice thin and sprinkle liberally w/ garlic salt. Seems to cut down that "bite-y" taste they can have. But these look like a winner, too!

Your 'sliced thin' reply made me think of potato au gratin. Has anyone tried that with radishes? It would probably take right many....
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Wow! Can't wait to make these this weekend!
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've made a recipe similar to this before. To me, they taste like turnips, and I love them with lots of butter.
  • DittoDan
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    I've made a recipe similar to this before. To me, they taste like turnips, and I love them with lots of butter.

Hi Steve,

I have never had Turnips. I think I'll buy some and fry them too. What about Rutabaga's? Or Kohlrabi? Have you had that? Maybe I'll fry them all up. I think they are lo-carb as well, maybe not as good (carb-wise) as radishes though.

I hope this helps,

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    try daikon radishes too! super yum!
  • SteveKroll
    Options
    I have never had Turnips. I think I'll buy some and fry them too. What about Rutabaga's? Or Kohlrabi? Have you had that? Maybe I'll fry them all up. I think they are lo-carb as well, maybe not as good (carb-wise) as radishes though.
    Having a German grandmother, I grew up on all those things. I love turnips. We used to make hash with turnips, potatoes, and leftover pot roast. Kohlrabi is okay. The flavor and texture reminds me of broccoli stems.

Rutabaga is good, too. But I just looked up the carb count and it seems pretty high.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    (*)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    iris8pie wrote: »
    try daikon radishes too! super yum!

Thank you Iris. I didn't know what those were so I google imaged them. I have seen those in one of the several stores I shop in. I will certainly buy some and fry them.

Did you fry them in ??? (oil?) And they look easier to peel.

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yum! I'll have to try this. Thanks, Dan! I've used daikon radish in soup to replace to potato it called for. It was amazing! I peeled mine before I cut it up and added to soup. I was also thinking you could spread the daikon radish and it would almost be rice like.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Made fried radishes according to the OP's recipe. Yum. How did you log them?
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Made fried radishes according to the OP's recipe. Yum. How did you log them?

I just logged them as raw radishes and I think I logged a tsp or tbsp of butter. I guess technically they are lighter since they would loose the water. But calorie-wise they would be the same.

I was going to try the omelet (radish & eggs) but I forgot that I had no eggs. I went and bought some eggs, and I bought some parsnips, turnips and rutabagas. I am going to fry them to see what they taste like. I have never eaten them in my life (that I can remember).

I doubt they taste that good or they would be more popular than they are. But in the Keto kitchen ~ anything is tried... :p

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    A cup of parsnips is 24 carbs. I love them. They are delicious fried slowly in butter or par boiled then sliced and fried in butter. Easier to get them cooked with out burning then the second way.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of radishes either. However, this looks awesome - I will have to give it a go.
  • SteveKroll
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A cup of parsnips is 24 carbs. I love them. They are delicious fried slowly in butter or par boiled then sliced and fried in butter. Easier to get them cooked with out burning then the second way.
    I like parsnips, too, but the carb count is way too high. I try to stay at a max of 20g total carbs per day, and under 15, if possible.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    Yum! I'll have to try this. Thanks, Dan! I've used daikon radish in soup to replace to potato it called for. It was amazing! I peeled mine before I cut it up and added to soup. I was also thinking you could spread the daikon radish and it would almost be rice like.

BTW, I looked for those radishes at Walmart- but didn't see any. Will not give up though.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My fried radishes:

0pr019blgi1h.jpg

They were pretty good, smelled awesome when cooking, just like pan frying potatoes. The texture didn't match the smell, but you can't have everything.

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I quartered and roasted my radishes with some chicken thighs and they came out delicious. Not bitter or spicy taste like raw radishes have.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    My fried radishes:

0pr019blgi1h.jpg

They were pretty good, smelled awesome when cooking, just like pan frying potatoes. The texture didn't match the smell, but you can't have everything.

Those look good Nic. I have yet to try them in an egg omelette...