Fried Radishes?

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    SOOZIE429 wrote: »
    I quartered and roasted my radishes with some chicken thighs and they came out delicious. Not bitter or spicy taste like raw radishes have.

Hi Soozie, I am glad you like d them! Its amazing how they don't taste like radishes at all...

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I got some Daikon radishes from the farm last weekend...i'm sure i'll get more this weekend. I'm going to toss them with some truffle oil and roast 'em!
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh rutabagas, I love them but have to budget them in, 1g net carbs per oz.

I peel and cube them, and either
    - toss in oil, lightly salt, and roast for an hour in the oven, or
    - simmer in water until fork tender then mash with butter.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Oh rutabagas, I love them but have to budget them in, 1g net carbs per oz.

I peel and cube them, and either
    - toss in oil, lightly salt, and roast for an hour in the oven, or
    - simmer in water until fork tender then mash with butter.

I'm going to try them tomorrow. It does look like they're a little highish on carbs. I just looked, they're dead even with carrots. I also bought some parsnips.... that was a mistake. They're about 85% of potatoes. May have to give those to the neighborhood rabbits....

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have a large bag of Daikon radish seeds. I will be planting a few each week through spring and summer. They are a hot radish. I wonder if the frying will reduce the heat some.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing this post title, though I hadn't had a chance to read it, so I bought some radishes at Walmart last night (just so I had an excuse to try this recipe!). I look forward to giving this one a test drive. Oils I have at home are coconut (haven't cooked with it yet), vegetable (using it up from pre keto), light tasting olive oil (not good for frying, right?), unsalted butter, and bacon drippings. Which do you recommend I try? I was leaning toward coconut or bacon...maybe butter. I love radishes as they are and was going to try them in a salad, but I was looking forward to them too much fried! LOL
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I tried them with bacon grease -- They were really good!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bacon if you have it or butter if you do not. Anxious to get some to try. We do not go to town until the end of this week.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    OH I was going to say TYVM Dan!! I really dislike radishes but we tried this last night with butter and they were AH-MAY-ZING! Hubby had to go to town again today so he picked up a couple more bags or radishes to try with bacon fat this time.

But wanted to give a big old Thank You to Dan the Man from Michigan the Frozen Land for this recipe.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    OH I was going to say TYVM Dan!! I really dislike radishes but we tried this last night with butter and they were AH-MAY-ZING! Hubby had to go to town again today so he picked up a couple more bags or radishes to try with bacon fat this time.

But wanted to give a big old Thank You to Dan the Man from Michigan the Frozen Land for this recipe.

Lol! It's weird that they taste pretty good and nothing like a radish. And to answer the above questions about the oil to cook in, I tried bacon drippings. Mainly because I had 2 cups AND I put a lot in the pan so I could deep fry them. They cooked faster being surrounded by oil.

I'm glad everyone had fun with them.

Next, I'll try the turnips.

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just as many others have said, Thanks Dan for posting this! I've seen keto recipes around for deep frying radishes and I thought "ummm.... no". But you've convinced me. I just assumed they'd taste like radishes. Here in Canada they're super cheap as far as veggies go and being lower carb... bring it on. We all know what I'm buy with the next groceries.

As an aside, this is my first post though I've read quite a few in this group (and a few others). Always love your posts Dan. Thanks for being so active here!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Thank you Gsp for the kind words and welcome to Keto. There are many friendly and knowledgeable people here.

As a side note. I am posting more so on the LCD (low carb daily) group now. Stop by there if you have time.

Please let me know what you think of the radishes. I fried some Jicama the other day, (it wasn't pretty, epic failure. LOL! )

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Please let me know what you think of the radishes. I fried some Jicama the other day, (it wasn't pretty, epic failure. LOL! )

Was it? we got some turnip and rudabaga the other day to try but havent done it yet. Good to know there's no point in trying fried Jicama
  • DittoDan
    Options

Was it? we got some turnip and rudabaga the other day to try but havent done it yet. Good to know there's no point in trying fried Jicama

Kirkor said raw Jicama is good in salads. I googled "jicama recipes" and 90% of them were in salads raw. I haven't given up on it, just on the "fried" version (I was told it was a replacement for french fries ~ NOT!). Unfortunantely, I didn't even try to eat the Jicama when it was raw (just like I wouldn't eat a raw potato).

If you look at the carb count, it is very good. Way lower than below ground veggies.

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I cut up my radishes - I had Daikon radishes and red ones, and also some turnips I had gotten from the farm, tossed them in a pan with some seasonings and coconut oil, and roasted them while i was baking a chicken this past weekend. perfect.!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jicama
    Kirkor said raw Jicama is good in salads.

Technically I just said they were good raw, I think someone else said salad :wink:

I would just peel and eat 'em ... pre-keto of course!

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up on it, just on the "fried" version (I was told it was a replacement for french fries ~ NOT!).

These guys recommend softening it first: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/2zi5pl/missing_fried_potatoes_for_breakfastdinner/cpj6hdd
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Dan, I used to eat at least a few bites of raw potatoes when I was getting them ready to cook. :blush: Nice and CRUNCHY.

I will have to try radishes again, I've only eaten them raw before!
  • lamajam221
    lamajam221 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love fried radishes I have made these for a while now. If you can find them they do come shredded already in a small bag in the produce dept. if you have a Meijer grocery store chain near you. Fry them with bacon grease and add diced mini colored peppers and seasonings and they are fabulous also add mushrooms if you choose.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    lamajam221 wrote: »
    I love fried radishes I have made these for a while now. If you can find them they do come shredded already in a small bag in the produce dept. if you have a Meijer grocery store chain near you. Fry them with bacon grease and add diced mini colored peppers and seasonings and they are fabulous also add mushrooms if you choose.

I'll have to try that... it sounds really good, thank you Lamajam!

My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)