Charlie horse/leg cramps?

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
Every now and then I get these bad cramps in my calves. Today is one of those days, it feels like my muscles lock up while I'm walking. I drank some broth today, any other ideas?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hydration and potassium. Especially hydration. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it doesn't return to "flat" instantly, you're dehydrated.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    I drink tons of water....I take a potassium depleting diuretic, I didn't think of that. Do you have any tips for adding potassium while following a low carb diet?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Avocado.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps for me were always magnesium. Once I started taking Magnesium Citrate every night, I stopped having this happen immediately. It can be the other electrolytes, but I instantly associate leg cramps with magnesium.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ditto radiii. almost none since starting Magnesium.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    And drinking a ton of water actually causes hyponatremia ( low sodium) which also affect potassium and magnesium. I supplement all three and can tell when I forget my bullion cubes!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    About a month or so into my WOE i had major cramps in my lower leg/calves area. Per the suggestions of my wife i started taking a glass of Ecodrink daily and have not had one since (going over 18 months now).. Just as long as i take a glass a day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't forget to keep sodium up as well. Sodium deficiency will leach out potassium. Electrolytes are so important. I keep forgetting about them, then feel like achy, tired crap.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Are you taking stating for cholesterol? They caused terrible cramping for me and it took some experimenting to get the right prescription.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. Not taking any statins, but my water pill eliminates potassium, so I guess that along with my diet is what's causing the cramps, I googled some high potassium/ low carb foods that I'm gonna try to eat more of, I'll have to look into magnesium too.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Since starting the keto diet, I've had the most horrible cramps - so bad they sometimes wake me up at night. I've had medically low potassium in the past, so assumed it was due to me taking my usual potassium supplement sources out of my diet (orange and cranberry juice, coconut water, banana).
    I get avocados / guacamole every now and then, and have lite salt on hand (potassium sodium blend). That stuff is naaaasty, though, so I've been trying a cal-mag-pot supplement. I also have chicken broth in the evening warmed up like tea sometimes. I drink lots of water and suspect I'm flushing a lot of electrolytes away, so I've also started salting my food and taking electrolyte products.
    I've used Aminolast which is an amino and electrolyte supplement you add to water for pre and during workout recovery. I also sometimes take those fizzy packets at night before bed. They're like Emergen-C, but without the carbs. The brand I've been using is Oxylent and I get it from the health food store (Sprouts).

To be honest, I've tried ALL of this and still have horrible cramps. Like...I have a picture I took where my foot was all twisted sideways and looked like I had a deformity. Scary. I think the answer is that it really depends on the person. SOMETHING is out of balance. I'm starting to suspect that I am having more calcium which I think conflicts with the absorption of magnesium and potassium. Feel like I have to be a chemist to eat like this sometimes...but on the plus side, I've lost weight. >_>

-T.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Pre-Keto I had really bad jump-out-of-bed leg/calf muscle cramps. So, some fellow keto'er told me about Magnesium Citrate. In September-ish last year, I started out with 400 mg @ day (bedtime) and that lasted 3-4 weeks, and then I had another cramp. I was so disappointed. So I upped it to 2 @ day. Haven't had a cramp since (except when I miss a dose by forgetting) I'll get a weird toe stretching/tightening cramp ~ only when I miss one of my pills.

Pre-magnesium citrate, I dare not "point" my toes (like a ballerina) in the bed before I wake up, that would send me into a leg cramp. Now, that my mag levels are correct, I CAN point my toes. It is so weird doing that, because I haven't pointed my toes since I was in my 20's (I'm 58 now).

My doc checked my blood work a week ago, and my Mag was perfectly in the middle.

Somewhere I read that low mag levels are in 53% of the U.S. population. And that a heart attack is a really bad cramp. (IDK if that's true or not, but it aught to be).

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    Leg cramps for me were always magnesium. Once I started taking Magnesium Citrate every night, I stopped having this happen immediately. It can be the other electrolytes, but I instantly associate leg cramps with magnesium.

Same here.

• AmyH2323
    AmyH2323 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. My son drinks dill pickle juice for leg cramps. His soccer coach told him about it. He says it works.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I woke up Saturday morning with a leg cramp that would not relax (outside of my right lower leg, was attempting to pull my foot along with it). I got up and took a homeopathic treatment for it (not sure how I feel re: homeopathic but I figure hell if a placebo can help..), then took Magnesium with breakfast. But magnesium alone was not enough, nor was one dose in the morning. The extreme cramping faded but I felt that spot all day.

Sunday (yesterday) I took magnesium in the morning, drank broth mid-day, drank more water overall during the day, and had another magnesium before bed. I fared much better.

The ghost of the cramp is back today, so I had extra salt and NoSalt on my eggs this morning, the magnesium, and will have broth with my lunch (which will also have salt and NoSalt on it). Going to work on upping the water, too (even when I drink all day I have a hard time hitting 100oz).

Man I wish the stores' avocados weren't boulders right now...
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I really like the emergen-c electrolyte mix. I take one per day during exercise. I did happen to also eliminate nuts (a huge part of my diet) which I later discovered can block the absorption of some electrolytes. Between these two changes, all of my muscle cramps disappeared.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I woke up Saturday morning with a leg cramp that would not relax (outside of my right lower leg, was attempting to pull my foot along with it). I got up and took a homeopathic treatment for it (not sure how I feel re: homeopathic but I figure hell if a placebo can help..), then took Magnesium with breakfast. But magnesium alone was not enough, nor was one dose in the morning. The extreme cramping faded but I felt that spot all day.

Sunday (yesterday) I took magnesium in the morning, drank broth mid-day, drank more water overall during the day, and had another magnesium before bed. I fared much better.

The ghost of the cramp is back today, so I had extra salt and NoSalt on my eggs this morning, the magnesium, and will have broth with my lunch (which will also have salt and NoSalt on it). Going to work on upping the water, too (even when I drink all day I have a hard time hitting 100oz).

Man I wish the stores' avocados weren't boulders right now...

@octobubbles‌ You can buy the boulder avocados and ripen them naturally in a brown paper bag. Make sure you check them frequently!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice. My toes got stuck today while working out.....not fun! I'm going to try a magnesium supplement tomorrow, and follow up with my Dr. to have my labs drawn to see what I'm lacking.....
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Guess why I'm awake at 1 in the morning? Aaagghh my left calf.....!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Pre-Keto I had really bad jump-out-of-bed leg/calf muscle cramps. So, some fellow keto'er told me about Magnesium Citrate. In September-ish last year, I started out with 400 mg @ day (bedtime) and that lasted 3-4 weeks, and then I had another cramp. I was so disappointed. So I upped it to 2 @ day. Haven't had a cramp since (except when I miss a dose by forgetting) I'll get a weird toe stretching/tightening cramp ~ only when I miss one of my pills.

Pre-magnesium citrate, I dare not "point" my toes (like a ballerina) in the bed before I wake up, that would send me into a leg cramp. Now, that my mag levels are correct, I CAN point my toes. It is so weird doing that, because I haven't pointed my toes since I was in my 20's (I'm 58 now).

My doc checked my blood work a week ago, and my Mag was perfectly in the middle.

Somewhere I read that low mag levels are in 53% of the U.S. population. And that a heart attack is a really bad cramp. (IDK if that's true or not, but it aught to be).

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)

What happens to me, and it's weird, is that I don't cramp during exercise, but after a long run (say 20+ miles) I have to be careful how I flex my foot. If I take off my shoes and socks and need to do some kind of foot maintenance, BAM!, a cramp can strike. But other than that I'm good. I guess it's possible that it's due to the same exact thing. My levels may be closer to normal (since I'm not low carb yet), but exercise may zap the stores and leave me in a state where it can happen. All this to say that this is good information because if true I'm probably more likely to experience this more often as I take up this way of eating. Forewarned is forearmed. :)