Let's Talk Salt

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
One thing I really like about the Keto/Lo-carb lifestyle is the ability to eat salt. I am old enough to remember that when the "lo fat" fad diet started, "lo-salt" fad came in with it. They demonized salt with fat. I have always loved salt. I lick it all the time without food (LOL!) I even asked my doctor if there was a disorder that made people crave salt, because I loved it so much.

With that said, I am a collector of seasoned salts. If I go to a store or new store, I always browse the seasoning section. If I see a salt I don't have, I automatically buy it. :) So, I probably have a couple dozen, maybe three, of different rubs and season salts.

You'd think my favorite would be some esoteric rub or salt hand made and purchased from a gourmet food place, but alas its not. Actually the opposite. The number one season salt today is Lawry's Seasoned salt and that's my favorite.

xrg091q4g3yy.png

So, if your tired of just plain salt, try some. I am also interested in hearing your comments on your favorite season salts, how you used them and any other suggestions about salt...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
DittoDan's Keto Blogs
How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP
Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
Need Potassium?
salt.PNG 711.8K

Replies

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My only answer to salt is "yes, please, more." B) And I love that on keto I NEED a lot of salt or my legs and feet start cramping.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Lol, you sound just like me. I have always salted my lunch meat and everything else. People thought I was nuts. And said I would get high blood pressure, god what a myth, that's been so ingrained in people.

My bp is usually around 102/68, any new Dr was always concerned at first.

I prefer kosher sea salt because of the size of the crystals. I'll have to check out that seasoned salt.

Thanks for sharing!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm a pepper guy. We had Mongolian BBQ last night, and I used some hot sauce that was mostly pepper, but it had some salt too. Does that count?

54f94f6948da1_-_sriracha.jpeg
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't add salt onto anything except for steak, burgers and chicken. Other than that, my salt intake is from foods it's naturally occurring in. I have to use caution with salt though, since I retain water if I consume too much more than 1,200mg. 1,500 is generally my limit.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had Red Robin's seasoned salt? It's different from Lowry's, but still really good.

Also, if you have a Gordon Food Service marketplace around you, they carry big containers of Lowry's. ;)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'm a pepper guy. We had Mongolian BBQ last night, and I used some hot sauce that was mostly pepper, but it had some salt too. Does that count?

54f94f6948da1_-_sriracha.jpeg

Hot sauce counts for me!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of finding black salts and white peppers. I tried the Bosari black original seasoned salt- thought it was good. I see that they now have a Citrus flavored and Lavender flavored - that might be interesting!

nz2rjt2dgewb.jpg
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    There is a lemon pepper seasoning I love that is mainly salt. I put it on almost everything.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to try Celtic Grey Sea Salt, but I'm using my Pink Himalayan for the time being. I like seasoning blends, but I like mixing my own combinations, too. My standard combo for anything meat is paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Aldi's has a steak seasoning one that is a grinder with dried herbs in it, too, that I want to try. I am seriously looking forward to having the funds to explore my seasoning habit/addiction.

But @DittoDan, I was raised up on Lawry's, too! :) My dad would call blasphemy at any imitators.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I bought 4 oz of that Sea Salt from Mexico that runs $50 a pound. It was white and tasted like salt but too big for a shaker. When I looked at daily min requirements I realized I was under eating salt on LCHF.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    You have to watch out for sugar and starches in some of those seasoned salts. I really like Herbamare sea salt, which is infused with herbs, and has no carbs. I have all purpose sea salt, and some Celtic sea salt which is much coarser and flaky, and is delicious.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love salt and garlic so Lawry's Garlic Salt is da bomb!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Have you ever had Red Robin's seasoned salt? It's different from Lowry's, but still really good.

Also, if you have a Gordon Food Service marketplace around you, they carry big containers of Lowry's. ;)

Yes and yes. I love Red Robin's! At GFS I bought another Lawry's product that I haven't seen anywhere else, and it is great on microwaved Parmesan. Its called Ranch Flavor:

zayllpss60pa.jpg

And another good one on steaks is Montreal by McKormick:

n9k95ub12lpm.jpg

I hope this helps,

"Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes
    Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
    Need Potassium?
  • DittoDan
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    I went through a phase of finding black salts and white peppers. I tried the Bosari black original seasoned salt- thought it was good. I see that they now have a Citrus flavored and Lavender flavored - that might be interesting!

nz2rjt2dgewb.jpg

I see they have it at Whole Foods. I will get some.

Thank you!

• msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Although I salt food liberally (or so i thought), about 3 months into keto, I started getting frequent palpitations. For about 3 weeks thereafter, i supplemented with a small teaspoon of good quality salt in water every morning. Palpitations duly disappeared. I still salt liberally and anytime my heart even dares to skip a beat, I add an extra smidge of salt & all is well. Thus far, even with the increase in salt I consume, my sodium levels in my blood work has always been near the low range of "normal" as my kidneys excrete excess salt as it is suppose to.
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Montreal Steak is the bomb. I put it on everything. also, not sure it counts as a salt, but Old Bay makes everything better :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Omnivore Salt! Seriously tasty stuff.

I actually like the flavour of the Real Salt. It's distinctively different than standard table salt because of the mineral content.

There are a bunch of regional flavoured salts here in New Zealand that I've never seen before. Chicken Salt is the big one, but there are quite a few. Morroccan Spiced Salt (quite good), something called Fries Sprinkle, which is pretty much a standard seasoning salt, and some others I haven't tried. A weird Barbecue one that seems to be half sugar and half hickory salt.

I am a big fan of smoked salts, alder is hands down my favourite, but mesquite and hickory are good too.

I like rosemary and salt in a grinder.

I have a porcini salt that I can't get any more of and will be sad when it's used up. I use it in any dish where I am trying to accentuate the mushrooms. I can go back to using powdered porcini, but it's quite different than this particular product; in addition to mushroom pieces it has grey salt that is heavily mushroom flavoured.

I have a collection of exotic salts from around the world for my own personal mineral museum, so I'm a bit of an afficionado. :)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder is awesome (and uses porcinis) - http://paleogranny55.blogspot.com/p/magic-mushroom-powder.html
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder is awesome (and uses porcinis) - http://paleogranny55.blogspot.com/p/magic-mushroom-powder.html

YES! I literally use this in/on everything!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I love the Cajun salts, too. Just enough heat to make my food as my guy likes to say "White Girl Spicy." In other words, not really at all! LOL