2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
26299294340_577a39a67a_o.jpg

For those of you who didn't join in with last years challenge, what I propose is that as a team of 9 riders we try and ride between us a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Grand Tours (The Giro d'Italia, Tour De France and La Vuelta Espana). The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Leaders Jersey, the person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Sprinters jersey and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets King of the Mountains jersey.

To verify the distances/speeds/ascents rides would ideally need to be logged via some form of GPS (or GPS Enabled Smartphone) and posted to Strava. As I’d be looking at average speeds and climbs, I think that it’s only appropriate to restrict this challenge to outdoor mileage only.

So – anyone up for a challenge ??

Hopefully I've given enough time for people to see this, and sign up - who knows - we might even have enough people for more than one team despite the fact that MFP have done their level best to make a complete and utter bollocks of the communities on here, and pretty much ruined the whole group thing we had going for the last couple of years...

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage Itinerary and Distances...

nclmxlh0s4lp.png
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Ideally, we'd have the same format as last year - hopefully without the accidents/illnesses and other nightmares that marred the 2015 experience somewhat...

So - up to 4 teams of 9 riders - at the moment, with manual logging, I think that this is probably the practical limit of this challenge - maybe eventually Jas will roll the logic of this challenge into his CycLeagues work, and we could have up to 22 teams just like the real thing... But for now, even though we "may" be running an automated version in parallel with the manual one, you'll need to commit to logging your rides, in the prescribed format (and the regulars will realise what an obsessive little sod that I am about that...)

currently, we have 4 teams...

Pastana, Team Pie, Twinkie Scoff, and Lotta Jumbos...

z2hca1zet2gd.jpg
    grz9za0adzfl.jpg
    9dnyz3f3606k.jpg
    iguzbqthfhpa.jpg

However, I'm open to suggestions (with a pre-prepared team logo - i'm not going to design ones for you... if you want a different team name, "roll your own" logo... all I ask is that the name be loosely "based" upon an existing World Tour team, or at least a team that regularly ride the Grand Tours.)

There MUST be some play on words with Trek Segafredo... hmmm - semi-freddo...

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm in .... of course :)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be out 'til early June (worse case scenario), so the Giro is out... Anything after that is fair game.

I'd like to retain my number though please; I've grown rather attached to it ;)
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Of course I am in, upside down and all
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm in...please...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - Here we go then...

@Jakess1971
    @Kupe
    @TDSeest
    @TheBigYin

that's a good start in under a hour...
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I'm going to be out 'til early June (worse case scenario), so the Giro is out... Anything after that is fair game.

I'd like to retain my number though please; I've grown rather attached to it ;)

Yeah, i'd sort of guessed Clive... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery, and 303's got you're name on it whenever you want to return mate...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    oh - for people who've either not ridden the challenges before, or who have either stepped up or down their distance expectations from prior years, I think it would be a good idea if you could give a rough idea of your "hopes" distance wise... this may well help me to "balance" the teams a little.

for example, in the past, I've been one of the regulars, pretty much riding every day of the 21 day challenges and averaging around 800-1000km per event. Owing to medical problems at the end of last season, I'm highly unlikely to be riding anything more than 3 days in a row - and i've been averaging around 30km per ride - so i'd be looking at best at 540kms, probably less in the Giro as we've historically had some terrible weather conditions, and under doctors orders, I'm not allowed out in the rain...

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As a standard minimum I'll be looking at 312km per week, if it goes well I'll be looking at 400-500km per week but I've still yet to find my mojo due to issues, I'd like to do more but I'm not as fit as I was lest year and see this more as a warm up month for me, 20th I may well be having another tooth out and if that happens I won't be doing any riding for 2-3 days.

Would like to go for the win but unlikely this year.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

Count me in! Getting excited for the Giro! I'll be gunning for the sprinters jersey.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yo! in. i'm looking at around 45 hours during this time @ 16 avg over the past 4 weeks that's 720 miles or 1158 km total. So around 386km a week.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ahh yeah that time of year again! Love it!! Stick me down please, I'm good for about 160km a week.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Mark, forgot to mention I should be good for over 300km a week. Hopefully more.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm out for the Giro; will be out of town traveling sans' bike for a good 10 days smack dab in middle of the challenge. Don't want to leave a team hanging. Y'all have fun though!
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in and appx 250 -300 kilometers
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Mark - could you please sign me up for the challenge? I am hoping 150km per week.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am in. It's hard to figure out what I can produce, but as my intention is to ride every stage I will say roughly 20 KM per day. That may change depending how I feel. I am still getting physio on my back/neck from last year...But somewhere around there.
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Hell Yeah I'm in!!!!!
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rosie and I are in - hopefully our riding will be a little more hit than miss as has been the case most of the spring. We should be good for around 150 - 200 kilometers each.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,194 Member
    Options
    Hey Mark, I'm in. After getting picked off by the car I'm not expecting to ride every day, but I'm planning on at least 100km per week. Sometimes my elbows just get sore so I give them a break.