11 months ago yesterday I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes - today I hit my weight goal.

Options
neohdiver
neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
On October 2, I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes and Hashimoto's hypothyroiditis. I immediately switched to a low carb moderate protein diet, and was able to manage my blood glucose levels within 3 days (I didn't test before then).

I decided that as long as I had to be attentive to what I was eating, I might as well lose the weight I'd been intending to lose anyway. I weighed 197.3 at diagnosis. Today I hit my goal of 130 lbs.

Between then and now, I attempted to put diabetes into remisison via the Blood Sugar Diet, was interrupted by the breast cancer beast - which I have now conquered - and am back working on remission. The BSD is an 8 week, very low calorie diet. (I won't talk about it much here, since that's verbotten, aside from noting that while I am on it my fasting blood glucose ranges from 70 to 85. My diary is open, although posting was intermittent throughout the cancer journey (Early April - through August 24).) I moved from diabetic (on an oral glucose tolerance test, to prediabetes. I'm hoping another 4 weeks will move me to non-diabetic. I don't really want to do 8 weeks, since I don't want to lose as much weight as I would on the BSD. My hope is that since I was interrupted at week 6, with orders to stop eating at a calorie deficit so my body had the energy for cancer treatment, I may not need the full 8 weeks to hit remission.

I didn't take before pictures, but the first picture is me in pants I wore that were as snug in the thigh area on one leg as they are now on both legs.

uj1h2xcveqbq.jpg

The scale this morning:

hbgso51ca4t0.jpg

My favorite pair of skinny pants, that now fit (67.3 lbs later).

gusi5met2vd9.jpg

Because I'm attempting to put diabetes in remission - and was interrupted by cancer - the means to remission will make my weight go a bit lower. I don't have a specific target in mind - since the goal at this point is diabetic remission, not weight loss.

It's been a wild ride this year. I turn 60 in 23 days - I will be very glad to leave this past year (and most of my 50s) in the rear view mirror. (My daughter was also diagnosed, in this time frame, with a life-threating chronic illness for which there is no effective treatment, short of a transplant (and even then, it sometimes recurs) - so the decade kinda sucks - the only bright spot is that I moved to a job I love - albeit I would love 50% of it much more, since I currently work about 80 hours a week).

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats! It took me a second to realize that first pic was both legs in one pant leg!
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The strength and determination you face the trials of this year are inspiring. Congratulation on your success and many good wishes for the challenges that you still face.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Wow - looks like you're all legs! (Leg?)

Congrats - no mean feat kicking all that weight to the curb for someone working 2 jobs and battling 3 serious medical conditions!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    What an incredible accomplishment during such a difficult situation! I wish you and your daughter some brighter times ahead.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    You are a true warrior princess, fighting health issues on every front.

Hero_runs.gif
  • neohdiver
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Oh my gosh @neohdiver , you have had quite a year (decade!). That is amazing that you were able to stick with healthy eating even through battling cancer! Your progress is fantastic and so inspirational.

Congratulations on making it to your goal! (And beating back cancer & diabetes to boot!)

I love your picture with both legs in one pair of pants :lol:

Best of luck with getting diabetes beaten all the way back - I know you can do it!

The events of the decade are largely responsible for being close to 200 lbs - when I'm overwhelmed and there is not an immediate personal health crisis, my willingness to devote energy to eating is the first thing to go. Diabetes is a permanent personal health crisis - that I hope will provide enough of an immediate prompt if I'm tempted to ignore my carb limits!
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Wow! Congrats! It took me a second to realize that first pic was both legs in one pant leg!
    Thanks! The pictures aren't that fantastic, since I don't have a good place to take them. But I wanted a visual - and I was surprised yesterday when I tried the trick that both legs actually fit in one pants leg. I didn't realize my shape had changed that much.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    jassnip wrote: »
    The strength and determination you face the trials of this year are inspiring. Congratulation on your success and many good wishes for the challenges that you still face.

Thanks! The bigger challenge will be maintaining it long term . . .
  • neohdiver
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Wow - looks like you're all legs! (Leg?)

Congrats - no mean feat kicking all that weight to the curb for someone working 2 jobs and battling 3 serious medical conditions!

Thanks! I've been rather pleased that it didn't take much to restart the Blood Sugar Diet. Getting started is always half the battle for me.

I was rather pleased that I used a grand total of 4 days of sick leave for my cancer treatment. Had I not been trying to be overly cautious, I could have cut it to 2. I did drop back to around 60 hours in order to accommodate medical visits & surgery for May & August. :)
  • neohdiver
    Options
    What an incredible accomplishment during such a difficult situation! I wish you and your daughter some brighter times ahead.

Thanks!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    So amazing!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You are a rock star. :) To go through so much... Well, not so much go through it as blast through it on your own terms, is just amazing. Beating two health problems.... Congratulations!!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    One word: Fabulous! Keeping in maintenance mode is new but should prove no problem compared to your past year!!! Keep it up!
  • neohdiver
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    One word: Fabulous! Keeping in maintenance mode is new but should prove no problem compared to your past year!!! Keep it up!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I've been up and down with weight for most of my adult life. The first couple of rounds were connected with PTSD that I wasn't aware of for 20 years. More recently, I struggle to overcome physical habits and tastes that developed over the 20 years before I was aware I had an emotional motivation to be fat. I'm pretty good at maintaining focus with a specific goal in sight - less good, for a variety of reasons - at maintaining.

I'm hoping this time will be different because of the added daily motivation to keep my BG under control - which requires monitoring carbs. Since I don't really feel like eating gobs of fat (the only thing I can safely increase to increase calories to/above maintenance), I hope the added added - immediate - prompt that comes from the immediate BG response, I'll be able to stick to the carb limit. If I can do that, the rest will be a cakewalk!

• neohdiver
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You are a rock star. :) To go through so much... Well, not so much go through it as blast through it on your own terms, is just amazing. Beating two health problems.... Congratulations!!

Thanks! Blasting through it is probably a good way of putting it. It's easier for me to make a dramatic change while I have the will to do it, than make gradual changes that can be just as easily be done without noticing the change.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    So amazing!

Thanks!
  • neohdiver
    Options
    You are a true warrior princess, fighting health issues on every front.

Hero_runs.gif

Thanks! (What I listed barely scratches the surface, unfortunately. We collect medical unicors in our family.) And I don't move quite that fast!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm quite certain you have the sense and fortitude needed to accomplish your goal/s. Hi-5!
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow! I loved reading your post. Your journey and results are inspirational. Hope you will post an update at some point.