11 months ago yesterday I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes - today I hit my weight goal.

Options

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Wow - kudos to you! Your determination in the face of adversity is amazing. No doubt that you'll beat T2D as well!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Wow - looks like you're all legs! (Leg?)

Congrats - no mean feat kicking all that weight to the curb for someone working 2 jobs and battling 3 serious medical conditions!

Thanks! I've been rather pleased that it didn't take much to restart the Blood Sugar Diet. Getting started is always half the battle for me.

I was rather pleased that I used a grand total of 4 days of sick leave for my cancer treatment. Had I not been trying to be overly cautious, I could have cut it to 2. I did drop back to around 60 hours in order to accommodate medical visits & surgery for May & August. :)

Have you figured out how to compress 8 hours of sleep into 2?
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Have you figured out how to compress 8 hours of sleep into 2?

Nope. Just chronically short on sleep.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Way to go!
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring. Thank you for posting.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You did it. May you have many more years of keto ahead!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Amazing and inspiring. You have such a strong spirit, you'll accomplish everything you wish for. Congratulations on so many awesome victories!

::flowerforyou::
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You are an inspire in so many ways! Congratulations on conquering your journey thus far! I wish you strength through your maintenance journey!

To add: I don't care for "globs of fat" either. I try to spread my fat consumption throughout the day; hwc in morning coffee, cook eggs in butter, add mayo to ham and cheese roll ups, and have fatty meat for supper. Keeps me from having to have it all at once! Hope you find the balance that works for you, and you don't have to eat "globs". Hugs dear!
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!
    I'm placing you up on my when I grow up board!!..... Cause one day I wanna be I. Those shoes of yours saying I met goal and conquered my major medical hurdles!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! What an incredible 11 months for you, and now you are on the other side!
  • neohdiver
    Options
    That's so great! Way to go!
    This is so inspiring. Thank you for posting.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm quite certain you have the sense and fortitude needed to accomplish your goal/s. Hi-5!
    Wow! I loved reading your post. Your journey and results are inspirational. Hope you will post an update at some point.
    bametels wrote: »
    Wow - kudos to you! Your determination in the face of adversity is amazing. No doubt that you'll beat T2D as well!
    camtosh wrote: »
    Congratulations! You did it. May you have many more years of keto ahead!

Thanks all!
    Karlottap wrote: »
    You are an inspire in so many ways! Congratulations on conquering your journey thus far! I wish you strength through your maintenance journey!

To add: I don't care for "globs of fat" either. I try to spread my fat consumption throughout the day; hwc in morning coffee, cook eggs in butter, add mayo to ham and cheese roll ups, and have fatty meat for supper. Keeps me from having to have it all at once! Hope you find the balance that works for you, and you don't have to eat "globs". Hugs dear!

Thanks! As for the fat - all of the things you mentioned, except cooking eggs in butter, fall in to the gobs of fat category for me - I'm just not fond of fatty food, unless the fat is combined with carbs (either bread or sugar). I see lots of cheese, full fat yogurt, nuts, and nut butters in my future - unless I can get diabetes into remission and increase carbs as part of increasing calories. I'd still plan to eay way lower than a standard American diet, and primarily whole grain carbs or pulses, but that would be a much more maintainable diet for me.

Amazing!!
    I'm placing you up on my when I grow up board!!..... Cause one day I wanna be I. Those shoes of yours saying I met goal and conquered my major medical hurdles!!
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Amazing job! What an incredible 11 months for you, and now you are on the other side!

Thanks!

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaping in on all the hard work you've invested in your health this year. You've certainly earned it having the courage diving into experimental protocols like the Blood Sugar Diet.

If it is of interest to you, the new channel by Dom D'Agostino Epigenix Foundation has lectures with all the latest within keto and cancer research. It's interesting to me that the researchers more and more talk about not just keto but also calorie restriction as part of the protocols being tested.

There's several videos on his channel, below is only one of those I found very enlightening.
    https://youtu.be/gIKVsHbW1yQ

Good luck on the maintenance part, it's a game of seesaw, IMO.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    If it is of interest to you, the new channel by Dom D'Agostino Epigenix Foundation has lectures with all the latest within keto and cancer research. It's interesting to me that the researchers more and more talk about not just keto but also calorie restriction as part of the protocols being tested.

Thanks! My daughter's disease carries a risk of quite a few cancers (liver, gall bladder, bile duct, and colon are the biggies). When we went to the international summit for her disease this year, the researcher who presented at the cholangiocarcinoma (bile duce cancer) session, mentioned keto in connection with cancer. Since it was shortly after I'd been diagnosed I took the opportunity to talk with her afterword about keto and breast cancer - and the fact that my doctors all insisted I needed to stop eating at a calorie deficit during treatment. She said that she wouldn't worry about it, as long as the calorie deficit was also ketogenic because of the anti-cancer effects they are discovering in connection with keto. At that point I was coming from the busiest quarter of the year (when I was diagnosed and saw 3 different treatment teams while working 80 hours a week), heading into surgery, followed by the second busiest quarter of the year, followed by radiation (during what should have been my break month). I didn't have time to follow up - or even do my normal advance research to see if radiation was my best option.

But this is a good reminder to pick that dropped thread back up again.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FYI, you may have seen these, but here are a couple cancer/keto vids w Dr. D'Agostino.

https://youtu.be/4b7_e7i0pRk
    https://youtu.be/sgsLx9IG40o
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just Wow! If you can handle the last year (decade), you can handle anything!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Foamroller wrote: »

Thanks! My daughter's disease carries a risk of quite a few cancers (liver, gall bladder, bile duct, and colon are the biggies). When we went to the international summit for her disease this year, the researcher who presented at the cholangiocarcinoma (bile duce cancer) session, mentioned keto in connection with cancer. Since it was shortly after I'd been diagnosed I took the opportunity to talk with her afterword about keto and breast cancer - and the fact that my doctors all insisted I needed to stop eating at a calorie deficit during treatment. She said that she wouldn't worry about it, as long as the calorie deficit was also ketogenic because of the anti-cancer effects they are discovering in connection with keto. At that point I was coming from the busiest quarter of the year (when I was diagnosed and saw 3 different treatment teams while working 80 hours a week), heading into surgery, followed by the second busiest quarter of the year, followed by radiation (during what should have been my break month). I didn't have time to follow up - or even do my normal advance research to see if radiation was my best option.

But this is a good reminder to pick that dropped thread back up again.

From my understanding, some cancer types are so devious they not only feed on glucose, but can also shift their metabolism to feed off of glutamine and lactic acid (?). Which could possibly be why keto alone is not enough vs very resistant cancer cells. A caloric restriction is needed on top of Keto for those instances. Possibly it's only the protein that needs to be limited. Starve the cancer, so to speak. BUT, Ofc if someone is already very slim the CR needs to be carefully monitored.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Refresh(ing)>
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Wow!! What a year, and to have persevered this much and taken such care of yourself despite so many challenges is incredible.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Incredible!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @neohdiver, you're a rock star!