Best LC Diabetes Info I have found

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I know we have multiple threads about diabetes here. Going link to link is how I actually found this one. I think it is great because it really lays out 12 great points about why LC should be the first treatment option for T2D as well as the primary treatment along with pharmacology for T1D by using many studies done over an extended period of time. It saves a lot of time because you don't have to read dozens of studies because the data and summaries are used in this.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext

Warning: this does get a bit technical at times, but just looking at the figures is enough for those of you who may not be as nerdy as me.

One of the things that really struck me as relevant is when they state that patients seem to instinctively assume moving to LC is the proper move and it is the "medical professionals" pushing LF instead. This is one of those situations where the patient clearly knows better. I looked through it again and haven't found the exact quote, but I think I got the main point across.

This will allow you to download it as a PDF as well as pull up all the graphs and such as PowerPoint slides. I am planning on printing this up to take to my next PC Dr appointment in November and my next Endo appt in March. Both of them seem surprised I was only briefly on meds for diabetes before getting it under control through diet (LC).

Replies

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I am not diabetic but was very close to being dxd. My fbs was 147 and A1c 6.5. Since I had been on steroids somewhat recent to those tests (8 weeks prior), they were repeated at 6 months. I buckled down to lose some weight and got my A1c down to 5.8. What I absolutely DON'T want to happen is to get an actual diabetes dx on my medical record (or for my health's sake).

I don't know your circumstances, but it is pretty *kitten* easy to hypothesize compelling reasons for declaring a private war on your A1c without the intermeddling of an insurance co or the watchful eye of an employer....

If you've worked it down from 6.5 to 5.8, you're doing pretty well (assuming the steroids from 2 months before the higher reading didn't really play a role). You can get home A1c tests if you really want to play it close to the vest, but I'm guessing your next one may actually be down in sub-prediabetes range (maybe 5.2 or below?).

Good luck!

• RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I know we have multiple threads about diabetes here. Going link to link is how I actually found this one. I think it is great because it really lays out 12 great points about why LC should be the first treatment option for T2D as well as the primary treatment along with pharmacology for T1D by using many studies done over an extended period of time. It saves a lot of time because you don't have to read dozens of studies because the data and summaries are used in this.

Home run! This is a gold mine. Thanks for posting.

@baconslave - a tidbit for the Launch Pad?
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

::flowerforyou::

Edit: great, I changed my name and now have no previous posts and no bookmarks!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Mayhaps.
    I have it bookmarked for tomorrow. :smile:

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    I am not diabetic but was very close to being dxd. My fbs was 147 and A1c 6.5. Since I had been on steroids somewhat recent to those tests (8 weeks prior), they were repeated at 6 months. I buckled down to lose some weight and got my A1c down to 5.8. What I absolutely DON'T want to happen is to get an actual diabetes dx on my medical record (or for my health's sake).

You can get home A1c tests if you really want to play it close to the vest (...)

What are those home kits called? any links? I'm interested. Ty in advance:)
  • RalfLott
    Options
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Mayhaps.
    I have it bookmarked for tomorrow. :smile:

Done. Under Recommended Resources: Books, Articles, Videos, Movies, and Podcasts.
    Academic Resources
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @RalfLott, you deserve some credit for finding this site. I actually started on a site that you posted and followed a link to a link to a link to get to this one. It's amazing what you can find if you have the time to go down the rabbit hole.

I don't have high BP now, but I think if I keep finding more and more evidence the government and "medical" organizations like the ADA and AMA are essentially telling us to do things that are detrimental to our health and not to do those things proven to be beneficial for our health, I may end up with high BP!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott, you deserve some credit for finding this site. I actually started on a site that you posted and followed a link to a link to a link to get to this one. It's amazing what you can find if you have the time to go down the rabbit hole.

I don't have high BP now, but I think if I keep finding more and more evidence the government and "medical" organizations like the ADA and AMA are essentially telling us to do things that are detrimental to our health and not to do those things proven to be beneficial for our health, I may end up with high BP!

Even if I pointed you in the general direction of the rabbit hole, it was you who dug up the truffle!

It would be really nice if, while you're rooting around down there, if you could find some really solid, recent article that soberly lays out the lipid scenario for diabetics. There's an awful lot of "Statins: boo!" and plenty of "LDL & triglycerides:boo!" - but the reality of what goes into the production of enough plaque to cause a serious medical episode just can't be that simple.

Some of these professional organizations are a mystery to me. They can't be run by boards of directors whose members all genuinely lack interest in better public health outcomes and knowledge in their field. It's baffling.

I don't know if the dinosaur speed at which they update their recommendations arises from:
    • organizational cultures of "baby steps" - meaning let's take a few generations to gradually modify the old low-fat dietary recommendations, due to the orgs' embedded conviction that the public simply can't/won't accept dramatic dietary changes;
    • a more conscious belief that the public is stupid and lazy; or
    • capture by the medical, pharmaceutical, and food industries.
    (It sure would be nice if they'd just tell us!)
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If they turned around and changed what they've been telling the public all this time the big businesses would pull their funding while at the same time the sudden onslaught of lawsuits would be insane! What would happen then?
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Potential lawsuits certainly have to be considered.

Something else is not just the pharma companies but food producers. Think of all the money involved in the development, marketing and distribution of the "low fat" and "light" products out there.

With a partially informed public, a partially semi-informed public and a majority uninformed public, the food manufacturers get the best of all worlds. They can push low fat options on one, LC options that are packed with crap you should never be ingesting at the levels they use (i.e. sugar alcohols and chemicals no mere mortal could pronounce) and true LC foods on the other.

Funny thing is the best foods in the last category require very little extra work on the part of the food manufacturer. It is all the stuff on the outside walls of the grocery store - meat, cheese, fresh produce (spinach, cauliflower, kale, etc.). If they focus on that, it takes away the advantage the big companies have over the small companies because any mom and pop can supply unaltered food.

Then you have to think about how all governments work in terms of lobbies. Who lobbies congress in the US, or parliament in Canada or the UK? Big companies with deep pockets.

The only way the truth gets out is if the same group that started the low fat myth busts it. That would go back to the US congress after Eisenhower had his heart attack and their hearings begat the stupid food pyramid.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh @RalfLott thx for the links! much appreciated :)
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @neohdiver, you are my hero. I had so much success the first 4 months or so doing LC on my own just because it made sense in my head without any knowledge of keto and only a cursory knowledge of Adkins. Then I made the mistake of trusting the ADA and lost about half of my gains in terms of A1c. Sounds like we were diagnosed about the same time. I'm looking forward to my next round of blood work in November based on the dramatically improved BG readings - both fasting and postprandial.