Should I push my calories higher?

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Cuts should only be a few weeks.. Some people find anywhere from 3-6 weeks to be plenty for a cut before jumping back up for a week or two and trying again.. The key is to always keep the body fueled so it doesnt start to make your Cut level, your new TDEE level.. Some people try to stretch to 8 weeks and then hold at tdee for 3+ weeks after.. theres no set rule for how long to cut, but you really want to make sure your not sitting there long enough for the body to fully adjust.

After every 5 pounds TDEE does change, but the change is sooo minimal. Just by changing your weight in the calculators by 5 pounds shows TDEE lowers by about 30 cals... So Id go with that as an overall rule.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot and people are uncomfortable with that because I have more body fat than them. In the lunch room at work I sit opposite colleagues eating one tin of tuna, 4 crackers and a banana for lunch, while I pour 4 tins of tuna on a bean salad that would feed 3 of them. But it's not easy to explain because to them, more food = more fat.

Assuming you don't want to just say "mind your own business", would they be receptive to "I *am* losing weight, but I want to do it slowly so that it will stay off"?

Unfortunately, people who've never had to worry about their weight and just have naturally small appetites aren't always the most understanding of those who aren't similarly blessed.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just for some motivation, i'm on the fifth week of cut, first three were 10% i did not see 'any' change so dropped to 15% and this is my 2 week of 15 total five weeks of cut and still no drop in weight or inches, but i'm consistent and i know that first cut would might not show much results, on the other hand i saw some gaines after 2nd week which dropped back to the starting weight!! i'll be going into maintenance week after completing 6 weeks.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I eat a lot and people are uncomfortable with that because I have more body fat than them. In the lunch room at work I sit opposite colleagues eating one tin of tuna, 4 crackers and a banana for lunch, while I pour 4 tins of tuna on a bean salad that would feed 3 of them. But it's not easy to explain because to them, more food = more fat.

I always love the looks people give me when I eat. it takes a while but eventually you just own it and you smile when they look at your plate. A lot of the time my friends will complain and moan about how bloated they feel or how much they ate, yet they ate nothing... I just smile and continue on my way. If someone does dare to ask about my plate, I usually just say "I refuse to diet anymore. Im happier and healthier eating more"
  • ibtmas
    Options
    Wow what an inspiring update!! Did u read that Kiki's article " if u lose inches and the scale does nt move you r golden!!!pure fat loss baby!" Congrats! i did use the scale since i was resetting but after a week or two of my cut when the scale did nt move ive just totally ignored it. there r no inches or scale difference but i can feel some small differences specially in my pics. Also dont forget to take pictures they tell you when the scale and inches dont!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Such an awesome update! Isnt it great when you think nothing is going right and then you find out it is?:)
    Awesome awesome awesome!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There ya go - great!

Remember too, if you thought you were eating at a deficit that last week to a TDEE based on a higher activity level - but you were a lot less active - you likely weren't eating at a deficit at all.

Life lesson - always eat appropriately to your level of activity.
    You do more - eat more.
    You do less - eat less.

In a deficit to lose fat - you eat even a tad less overall, but principle still applies.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    There ya go - great!

Remember too, if you thought you were eating at a deficit that last week to a TDEE based on a higher activity level - but you were a lot less active - you likely weren't eating at a deficit at all

That's such a guessing game, right? Last week was quieter so probably not in deficit. If I had to relive last week again, how do I know how much I should be eating?
    It seems like it is all just best guess, and I'm not so confident to do that as I don't want to ever cut too low again.

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options

HOLY COW I'VE LOST A TOTAL OF 9.5CM FROM ALL OVER. How great is that?!!?

What I've learnt:
    - The mental game in all of this is tougher than I expected. I thought you were all talking about the mental game for just the reset process, and it would be easier by now. I was looking back over that fence to the greener pastures on the low calorie/excessive cardio side of the fence this week - I didn't go there (thankfully) but my brain let me look.

- I need more patience. Eating more works. Trust it.

- The scale is the most useless piece of equipment for measuring my health.

So back to TDEE today and for a few weeks. I'm off to find 400 more calories to fit in today, and to lift heavy things off my garage floor :)

LOVE THIS!
    And oh yes, the mental game keeps on going! Getting on the right side of that will keep you pressing forward when all else seems to be bleak.
    Incredible drop in measurements! You are killing this cut!
    Learning the practice of patience, guess what? Yup! It requires patience! :D
    Keep on going! I cannot wait for the next update!!!!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • Firefly0606
    Options
    Measurements seem to have gone UP and weight has gone UP 2lbs in a week by going back to TDEE. I may not be measuring the same way? Or fluid retention?
    I'm not going to get discouraged by it, just take the blind faith approach and keep doing what I do.

Perhaps I'll just use my children as my measuring posts. My son and I have snuck up on each other to blow raspberries on each others tummies since he was a little tacker. He got me while I was lying on the couch last night... "Mum, your tummy is getting hard!" 'Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" "It's good!" It doesn't look any different to me - but he can see some difference. I did increase my deadlift from 45kg to 60kg this week so it's these two positives that I'll cling to this week.

Life is busy and my only workout is lifting 3 x per week - which I love. If I only get 1 or 2 lifts in a week, this must be affecting my TDEE or deficit, but I have no idea by how much. I don't know whether I need to be adjusting my calorie intake on a weekly basis based on how many lifting sessions I actually do. Seems like tweaking my calorie intake all the time might be counter-productive? Any thoughts on that?
  • Firefly0606
    Options
    Some numbers might help:
    I found my TDEE of 3200 when I lift 3 x per week.
    I'm 175cm tall, 33yo, weight in at 257lbs this morning. This is an increase from 248lbs late last year when I was confident I had found my TDEE.
    I am getting less concerned with the, but still seem to be gradually putting on weight.

Should I go back into 'find my TDEE mode?' How do I find out how many calories a lifting session is worth?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    An easy plan of action if you miss a planned workout - drop 100 calories that day. That's usually easy if a snack was going to go with the workout.
    I always hated the eat the snack prior, then surprise the workout doesn't happen for some reason, and I had to cut that 200 out later.

That 100 is likely less than what it is in reality, but it can still help somewhat not eating in surplus.

And if you make it up another day - eat an extra 100 that day.

If life schedule turns that miss into a regular change, then adjust TDEE, until you can change it back.

Lifting is about 3.5 x BMR level rate of burn for time done. For like heavy sets and reps and rests.
    BMR / 1440 x min of lifting x 3.5 = calories

One way to get an idea if the TDEE is a tad high - is the weight increase expected for the minor difference.
    Obviously 2 lbs in 7 days would imply 1000 cal surplus daily if that was fat gain - and you know that's not the case.
    So not really good numbers to go by yet.
    Need 4 weeks with valid weigh-in on each side to discern something.

Easier though is measure waist at belly button (so always common spot) with tape horizontal, if no increase (most gain fat there first) despite weight - don't worry about it.
  • ibtmas
    Options
    You are right there!! my kids do my measuring too! while i was in reset they used to comment on my double chin and bulging tummy but now they tell me that my tummy is getting harder and firmer and my neck is getting back its shape. My 13yo son came back after a stayover at his aunt for 5 days and noticed some weightloss although i'd gain a kilo!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Keep in mind that a cut doesnt mean your body is instantly going to drop pounds in a linear fashion. Weight loss is not linear and it will still jump up and down and all around.
    Perhaps I'll just use my children as my measuring posts. My son and I have snuck up on each other to blow raspberries on each others tummies since he was a little tacker. He got me while I was lying on the couch last night... "Mum, your tummy is getting hard!" 'Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" "It's good!" It doesn't look any different to me - but he can see some difference. I did increase my deadlift from 45kg to 60kg this week so it's these two positives that I'll cling to this week.

Why are you focusing on the scale as your measurement tool, when these wonderful things are happening? Does it really matter right now if the scale shows a slight upward motion? No. These are the things that matter. When these things are pushed aside and the focus is placed on that stupid piece of equipment, that is when the diet mentality has taken over once again. Don't let it!
    You are winning this. It will happen. Just not in a linear fashion:)

Kelly
    Team Em2WL
  • Firefly0606
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    Why are you focusing on the scale as your measurement tool, when these wonderful things are happening? Does it really matter right now if the scale shows a slight upward motion? No. These are the things that matter. When these things are pushed aside and the focus is placed on that stupid piece of equipment, that is when the diet mentality has taken over once again. Don't let it!
    You are winning this. It will happen. Just not in a linear fashion:)

Kelly
    Team Em2WL

Thanks for putting me back in my corner. You are so, so right.
    I thought I didn't care about the scale anymore but there must be little pieces still there, hanging on.
    You ask does it really matter right now if the scale shows a slight upward motion...I know the answer is no.

So what's this all about with me right now?

Yes I see changes, yes I feel changes. Muscles - check. Food - Yum - check. Mood - check. Health and well being - check. But if I'm really honest, I'm not here for just those things. There is no denying I'm here to lose weight - I know that means fat, not 'weight' - sustainably and for good.
    So yes, I understand the long game. I understand that winning the battles will win the war. I have seen lots and lots of positive things, good things and I'm not going to change anything I'm doing now. I'm convinced that eating more and lifting is right for me.

I am jsut a little disappointed that I haven't seen the scale more downward at all. Yet.
    I just wish for a little downward movement. Like seeing the scale just 2-3kg lower would confirm that this is actually going to work in the long long term. It feels like everything above feels like 90% success. If only that scale would drop - just a little -BAM! Homerun.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Make sure your macros are good and keep at it! Sounds like you have a lot of NSV's going for you!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Like seeing the scale just 2-3kg lower would confirm that this is actually going to work in the long long term. It feels like everything above feels like 90% success. If only that scale would drop - just a little -BAM! Homerun.

Diet Mentality.
    "If only the scale would show a loss, I would know it was a success"
    why do you need the scale to go down for it to be a success? Again.. Fat loss doesnt mean Scale loss:)

I get it.. I know exactly what you are trying to say, but by focusing the the number and wanting it to go down in order to be successful, you miss out on seeing all of the other successes that are already happening. just because the scale isnt moving in the right direction at this moment in time does NOT mean you arent succeeding. Put it in other terms. You are eating way more than you ever thought you could eat and your weight is staying even. Your skin is looking better, your sleeping better, you are lifting heavier... etc etc.. why negate these things as not being MORE important than the scale number? The second you can let go of the power of that stupid scale, success WILL be prominent. I promise you.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL