How do you up your sodium?

Options
Hi Everyone!

So I am on week two of lchf eating and have been doing pretty good. No major issues, except for the last couple days. By the evening I am feeling a little low energy and dizzy almost weak. After following along I am pretty sure its my sodium. I do use lots of high sodium seasonings but I still think I need more. So how do you get more sodium?

Thanks all!

Replies

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use Ultima (recommended from someone else on this forum and available on Amazon...usually one dose a day...sometimes two...I usually dilute more than recommended to get a little more water in).
  • Misskim121211
    Misskim121211 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Mmmm pickle juice ..lol. I have no problem trying that! The bullion could work to. I just looked at my food diary and I am getting my 2300mg a day... some days a little more. Maybe it's not the problem.
  • Misskim121211
    Options
    Wow..ok. I will up it more. I love salty things so that won't be hard!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling the need I put 1/4 tsp and juice half a lemon into about 4 oz of water and shoot it. It works like a charm. :)
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice is the best!
  • NatashaTM
    NatashaTM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drank plain old salt water last night. I think it's just easier for me, to make it quick and painless in one swoop.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pickle juice ..lol. I have no problem trying that! The bullion could work to. I just looked at my food diary and I am getting my 2300mg a day... some days a little more. Maybe it's not the problem.

2300 is an outdated standard for high carb eaters.
    Low carbers bare minimum would be 3000 but there's no way that's enough in the beginning.
    Definitely watch that linked video. Sodium deficiency isn't something to play around with.
    The video states it would be less dangerous to consume 8000mg a day than to only get 2000..

That's another one of those individual things. Absolutely right on the low end being too low, but I learned the hard way that even when I was lifting 9-10x per week, if I exceeded about 7500 or so, I'd start developing temporary hypertension. A couple of days I went to 9000 accidentally, and I thought that my brain was going to explode out of my temples, the headaches were so bad.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Low carbers bare minimum would be 3000 but there's no way that's enough in the beginning.
    Definitely watch that linked video. Sodium deficiency isn't something to play around with.
    The video states it would be less dangerous to consume 8000mg a day than to only get 2000..

That's another one of those individual things. Absolutely right on the low end being too low, but I learned the hard way that even when I was lifting 9-10x per week, if I exceeded about 7500 or so, I'd start developing temporary hypertension. A couple of days I went to 9000 accidentally, and I thought that my brain was going to explode out of my temples, the headaches were so bad.

Whoa. Thanks for the red flag.

How did you get to 9g accidentally? Were you able to flush it out (w fermented diuretic products?) or didn't you realize till later what had happened?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

In the video, Phinneys chart shows that 8g starts to have a negative effect, but he still says you're safer getting too much than too little. I wasn't actually saying for her to get 8g. Just referencing that he compared the two
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes to the pickle juice! Also, the link posted by @baconslave above is a wonderful resource!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Whoa. Thanks for the red flag.

How did you get to 9g accidentally? Were you able to flush it out (w fermented diuretic products?) or didn't you realize till later what had happened?

It was during my firsr two weeks of keto bulking. I just kept eating the same stuff I had been, but in larger amounts. When a lot of your fat comes from cheeses, olives, and the occasional hunk of spam or canned ham, 9g is easy to oops in at 2800 kcals.
  • Misskim121211
    Options
    thank you for the links, video and all your input! Very interesting, and obviously something I need to learn more about. Felt bad again today...I feel like I am on the verge of fainting and my muscles feel weak. How long does it take to see an improvement once I have increased my sodium?