Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    My crazy idea:

I take a weekly pill / vitamin container. Then with a food scale I weigh out 4 to 5 grams of my Bonairean sea salt in each one. 2 or 3 times a day I pour a bit in my hand, pop it in my mouth like a vitamin pill, and wash it down with a big glass of water.

Works for me.

Phinney's latest video on Low Carb Down Under addresses the sodium issue well, specifically the reasons that most people DON'T need to restrict sodium.

Adequate salt intake on this way of eating is so critical, and so easily missed I simply treat salt like medicine / a supplement.

I think this is the right idea!
    Swallowing a pinch of salt crystals is just as easy as taking a tablet. I carry a small shaker in my bag filled with large crystals of Celtic grey salt. I actually like the taste of it too. It's a good distraction for boredom hunger to nibble on the grains! But if I feel a little fatigued or I know I may have an increased need, I just down a few pinches like it's a pill. So easy!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I thought this was a very good post by Ketogains admin Rick Passmore about not drinking water like it's your job.
    It's ALL about sodium when it comes to hydration. Drinking too much water, which isn't as much as you think, without balancing it with sodium is not a good idea.
    Just drink when thirsty. And get enough sodium. Which is more than just salting foods.
    qsh339msw9bi.png
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Well, not everyone's body gives timely and reliable reports on the needs of its complex workings, especially vintage models.

Of course you should drink when you're thirsty, but some people need to drink when they're not.

Fox example, if my FIL only drank when thirsty, his chronic dehydration would be worse than it is. :s
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Well, not everyone's body gives timely and reliable reports on the needs of its complex workings, especially vintage models.

Of course you should drink when you're thirsty, but some people need to drink when they're not.

Fox example, if my FIL only drank when thirsty, his chronic dehydration would be worse than it is. :s

Can't argue with that
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

My mother basically did this to herself. She had no thirsty feelings. She'd nurse a 12oz Diet Rite all day (for years) and never finish it, up until she died. Guess how many times she was hospitalized for sepsis (thanks to decreased healing ability from T2D) due to kidney infections? I'm pretty sure it was 4. During the 3rd, her kidneys failed and she almost died. She was hospitalized for 4 months. The last one tanked her kidneys and liver and that's how she died. Her doctors completely missed all of it. I know there had to be warning signs. We found out later there were, but they were ignored.

My 2nd daughter also has no thirst reflex. I have to stay on her case all damn day. She used to constantly get kidney infections (fever and severe nausea) when she was little until I started getting in her face.

But we're talking about both ends of extremes here. :smirk:
    Over-drinking vs. chronic under-drinking
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @baconslave my step daughter was hospitalized twice for dehydration even when she had water with her all day just because she wasn't thirsty. She has finally set a timer on her phone reminding her to drink.

My bro had a dog that went to the vet as he was inexplicably lethargic and vomiting he was dehydrated. I know animals don't always have strong thirst signals or know how to recognize what they need. For many, timers or oz goals daily are critical to avoiding both extreme situations.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    @baconslave my step daughter was hospitalized twice for dehydration even when she had water with her all day just because she wasn't thirsty. She has finally set a timer on her phone reminding her to drink.

My bro hsd a dog that went to the vet as he was inexplicably lethargic and vomiting he was dehydrated. I know animals don't always have strong that signals or know how to recognize what they need. For many, timers or oz goals daily are critical to avoiding both extreme situations.

I'm sorry to hear that about your daughter, but I can relate. I have another child who won't drink, but that's because I told him he couldn't have more than 1 non-water drink. So he just didn't drink anything but the 1 cup of juice or soymilk until I bought them different Mio flavors. But that daughter of mine (she's 8) even if she has soda available (like when she stays at the in-laws....urgh :rage: ) she drinks maybe a few sips when it's first opened, then nothing else. So I have to text them and remind them to make her drink. Sometimes I even slip her ketoade. It's so frustrating. I have a post-it up on the cabinet I'm always facing when I feed them...which feels like it's all stinking day... :smirk: I do need to try the timer business since she's not really old enough to keep up with it herself.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I am very careful to keep up with water intake - I have had kidney stones 3 or 4 times now (yes, I am a slow learner :D ). Since I have been closely monitoring my fluid intake, I haven't had any issues - more fluids means better flushing of the kidneys and less chance for the stones to develop.
  • mmultanen
    Options
    @baconslave The first time was around 6 years old at summer camp. They even gave the kids water breaks and had them eat snacks.....she ate just never would drink! The second time was round 10 years old in the winter. Now that she's 14 the phone thing works well and she loves dicking round with her phone so that helps. Recently, she's into tea (cause a friend is lol) and we're all OMG! MAKE TEA! HAVE TEA! YAY TEA!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce ?

FYI, after buying reading glasses at Dollar Tree (yep, just $1), I read every soy sauce label in a few grocery stores. The best I found for flavor, sodium content, and NO dextrose was Kikkoman's Organic SS, but organic wheat is the final ingredient. :|

For those of you not repelled by soy, does anyone have a favorite full-sodium soy sauce without dextrose or wheat?
  • mmultanen
    Options
    Soy sauce is problematic here in the states. We've always used Tamari instead. My personal fav which is easy to find is San-J

Tamari is a by product of Miso If I'm remembering correctly. Traditionally, it has no wheat or sugar. San-J is the closest grocery store avaliable product I've found.
  • rugged1529
    rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Does it matter where we get our salt from?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »

I'm not picky. My go to is good ol' table salt. I also have kosher salt, sea salt and smoked salt in the house for cooking and pickling salt for canning but have never purchased the newer trendy Himalayans and such.

Many will say it matters greatly.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I add salt (Real Salt) to my food, but I always keep on hand an 'emergency' jar or two of these anchovies:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ortiz-Anchovy-Fillets-Oil-Gram/dp/B000BTHHF6/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490297081&sr=8-6&keywords=anchovies+in+olive+oil

Super low calories and a ton of salt. :) I tried another brand of anchovies and couldn't eat them. They were way too salty and the little bones were impossible to eat. The Ortiz ones are so much better. I get out a couple of those, put 'em on a saucer and add a nice tablespoon or two of sour cream and there's a lot of salt with low calories.

Pickle juice is also good and the brand of pork rinds I buy has quite a bit of added salt. Of course, need I mention BACON on a keto forum? LOL

• NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am preparing to start back LCHF and I am wondering - should I up sodium intake right away or wait to see how I feel? I didn't seem to suffer much with keto flu last time (only when it was 95 degrees out). Thoughts? Currently my family DOES have a tendency to opt for low sodium foods. Perhaps just make sure I don't restrict myself and take it from there?
  • mmultanen
    Options
    rugged1529 wrote: »

What's worked well for me is using table salt as a supplement. I put it in water and drink it 3 times a day. I cook with sea salt, and use quite a lot of it compared to some. I also put the sea salt it in my magnesium at night when I drink it. The vast majority of my salt is Table Salt and Sea Salt and it's worked well for me. Sometimes, I'm fancy and I lick Celery Salt or Lowery's seasoned salt out of my hand.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am preparing to start back LCHF and I am wondering - should I up sodium intake right away or wait to see how I feel? I didn't seem to suffer much with keto flu last time (only when it was 95 degrees out). Thoughts? Currently my family DOES have a tendency to opt for low sodium foods. Perhaps just make sure I don't restrict myself and take it from there?

Recent very large studies shows EVERYONE is better between 4000 and 6000 mg of sodium per day in the long run when looking at all cause mortality, CVD and heart disease. Going LCHF/keto just increases the short term negative aspect of not getting enough sodium (cramps, light headedness, sluggishness, etc.). That said, I would recommend upping sodium now.

If you are interested in the study, you can google "Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion,
    Mortality, and Cardiovascular Events" and find the full study on the New England Journal of Medicine website. You can get a free membership that allows you to see many of the studies without being a medical professional. Just to give you one key piece from the study, here is a chart that pretty much sums it up:

whk2x3axmyxr.jpg
  • gotblues66
    gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's so funny when I still hear people warning about salt intake and treating it like it's the devil. Same as their reaction when you mention anything about a high fat diet. It will take a long time for the science to settle in. I make a homemade gatorade with stevia sweetened water enhancer, water, and pink Himalayan sea salt. The sweetness seems to offset the saltiness. I will have to try the pickle juice thing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce ?

FYI, after buying reading glasses at Dollar Tree (yep, just $1), I read every soy sauce label in a few grocery stores. The best I found for flavor, sodium content, and NO dextrose was Kikkoman's Organic SS, but organic wheat is the final ingredient. :|

For those of you not repelled by soy, does anyone have a favorite full-sodium soy sauce without dextrose or wheat?

San-J Tamari or Bragg's Aminos (basically soy sauce NOT brewed with wheat)