How do you up your sodium?

Options

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @ralflott and if you want to skip the soy as well but get a somewhat-similar taste, try coconut aminos: http://amzn.to/2nNZBVV
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always love a "lemon sour". I loved getting them at a small drug store when I was a kid. It is essentially lemonaid with added salt INSTEAD of sugar.. So good.
    Also pickle juice snow cones are awesome.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Where do you get a pickle juice snow cone????
    @dulcitonia
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    rugged1529 wrote: »
    Does it matter where we get our salt from?

What's worked well for me is using table salt as a supplement. I put it in water and drink it 3 times a day. I cook with sea salt, and use quite a lot of it compared to some. I also put the sea salt it in my magnesium at night when I drink it. The vast majority of my salt is Table Salt and Sea Salt and it's worked well for me. Sometimes, I'm fancy and I lick Celery Salt or Lowery's seasoned salt out of my hand.

Salt licks.... A time-honored tradition!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @dulcitonia

Tell!

(Say its not a restaurant service company that carries bathroom supplies, pls... )
  • mjc718
    mjc718 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am another pickle juice drinker. My family thinks I'm crazy but it has helped immensely.

I also make natural tea (cold) and then add fresh lemon juice and sodium directly to it. The lemon seems to counteract the taste of the salt.

Otherwise I will make a cup of chicken or bone broth and add some salted butter to it.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    @dulcitonia
    I saw this on social media from a Chase's BBQ restaurant luwiwnxrav7n.png

And decided to make my own (yes, I have a cheap shaved ice maker)
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I get my dessert salt lick in once in a while by having a separate 150g salt grinder filled with 1 tbsp of culinary lavender flowers added to grey sea salt crystals. It's also good on cauliflower, cukes, and avocado.
    About the picture.... I can't get Alder Smoked salt anymore, they no longer make it :( so I refill the grinder with the above mixture.
    irnytrmwofjh.jpg
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Summer will be coming.... bumping for pickle juice snow cones :)
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I discovered the joy of Better Than Bouillon this morning! Yum! One mug down, getting ready for another. 2g of carbs but some excellent sodium, and it tastes good.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Careful of the ingredients - I gave mine away when I discovered it had sugar and maltodextrin.

But that may have been specific to the flavor.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I discovered the joy of Better Than Bouillon this morning! Yum! One mug down, getting ready for another. 2g of carbs but some excellent sodium, and it tastes good.

I like the turkey one even though they have a bit of sugar (at least actual meat juices and no MSG), but I also buy boxes of Imagine Chicken or Campbell's Beef when I'm feeling lazy or don't want to deal with actual animal parts.

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This deserves a bump "just because" but especially for the ~12:45 mark on the Phinney video on the first page. I listened to the whole thing this morning. Thanks, @Sunny_Bunny_ !

Edit:

Shoot -- it was @RalfLott -- lol. But thanks deserved to Sunny, as well. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    This deserves a bump "just because" but especially for the ~12:45 mark on the Phinney video on the first page. I listened to the whole thing this morning. Thanks, @Sunny_Bunny_ !

Edit:

Phinney holds up well, eh? In the meantime, Benjamin Bikman's videos are also terrific.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    chicken sotanghon soup/I make the stock of this soup (no noodles, obviously). It's addictive, fair warning!!
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Edit:

Phinney holds up well, eh? In the meantime, Benjamin Bikman's videos are also terrific.

Thank you -- I appreciate the suggestion. I will definitely check them out. Haven't heard of him.

I read both of Phinney & Volek's books years ago, but I may need to read them again someday. I hadn't heard Phinney speak before, and I like him. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options

Edit:

Thank you -- I appreciate the suggestion. I will definitely check them out. Haven't heard of him.

I read both of Phinney & Volek's books years ago, but I may need to read them again someday. I hadn't heard Phinney speak before, and I like him. :)

Edit:

Phinney's really great at explaining things. Also humble and not wedded to dogma - he views even his own results "with utmost skepticism." How refreshing!

Bikman is cut from similar cloth.

Enjoy!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Summer will be coming.... bumping for pickle juice snow cones :)

nbguwm21u7wl.png
  • RalfLott
    Options
    :scream: