Diabetes & pancreatic troubles

Options
suzc11
suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
2 years ago today we lost my brother, then just 53, to pancreatic cancer (so forgive me if I'm a bit dramatic!) The prevailing symptom was unexplained diabetes. He was like a lot of people who find their way to this WoE, he was overweight but active, big beer belly, so it didn't really come as a surprise. They treated the diabetes for a long time. For a while it worked and all the weight came off. Only when he started having lots of digestive problems and his bg was still out of whack that they thought perhaps the diabetes was the symptom and not the problem, and by then it was too late. Not sure why I'm saying all this except to flag up the link between the two. If in doubt, get it checked out, folks.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am also sorry for both of your loses.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    This is appreciated. You just hit the nail on the head as to why we need to move to a functional medicine approach. Right now, practicing medicine means finding either medication or surgery that addresses a symptom. What we need to do is look at what is causing the symptom(s) to address that root cause.

I agree that a functional approach to medicine would yield better patient outcomes in the long run, but with the patient loads and loads of crap paperwork for the government (and the blood-sucking malpractice lawyers), it's pretty difficult for most doctors to justify the time that it would take. Add in the problem that we live in an 'instant gratification' driven society, and most people simply want their doctors to prescribe a pill/recommend a surgery that will relieve the symptoms immediately and forget about dealing with the under-lying causes of the actual problem.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I am also sorry for both of your loses.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    This is appreciated. You just hit the nail on the head as to why we need to move to a functional medicine approach. Right now, practicing medicine means finding either medication or surgery that addresses a symptom. What we need to do is look at what is causing the symptom(s) to address that root cause.

I agree that a functional approach to medicine would yield better patient outcomes in the long run, but with the patient loads and loads of crap paperwork for the government (and the blood-sucking malpractice lawyers), it's pretty difficult for most doctors to justify the time that it would take. Add in the problem that we live in an 'instant gratification' driven society, and most people simply want their doctors to prescribe a pill/recommend a surgery that will relieve the symptoms immediately and forget about dealing with the under-lying causes of the actual problem.

We are on a big ship with a small rudder. It is going to take a long time and a lot of effort to get this changed - much like changing the concept of low fat = healthy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had a young friend who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in her early 20's, with no identified risk factors, and as far as I know, up until her death was not labeled diabetic. She died after a couple years of fighting. The cancer was found following testing to have her tubes tied after her daughter was about 2, I think, and due to her young age and only having one child, they didn't want to authorize the surgery without extensive testing. It was already quite extensive once they found it...

It is for reasons like this and above that I fight so hard against mainstream medicine right now... I hate that any of this had to happen when there might have been far more issues at hand from the inception.

Sincerest condolences on all losses.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, you're very right! Sorry for your loss and @cstehansen too. That's really young and abrupt in both cases.

The more I research T2D, the more it seems the pancreas is very vulnerable to hyperinsulinimia and visceral fat surrounding and inside the gland.

IMO Dr. Roy Taylor is a pioneer in developing non-surgical clinical protocols for reversing T2D. His approach is to target the fatty pancreas to reverse T2D in a guerilla style attack. His theory is that when we hit our individual Personal Fat Threshold (PFT ), the stage when the pancreas loses function due to visceral fat, T2D is on the horizon. His theory elegantly includes those of us who are TOFI. Normal weight people with abdominal fat.

https://youtu.be/6vsrB_dlUzI
    It could be argued that both a fatty liver and pancreas are important players on the road to T2D. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fatty-liver-t2d-25/

I'm not quite sure what's going on, but either the beta cells "burnout" by too much abuse OR the gland gets damaged by the hyperinsulinmia OR the fat prevents the gland to function properly. Or a combo of all above. Suffice to say, Dr Taylor's protocol is probably only for the very motivated. Getting healthy isn't comfy. The protocol has been popularized by Mosley into the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet. He changed the protocol to 800 kcal, but it seems to work for many people according to the reviews on amazon. Someone in this group posted some time ago about doing it...but didn't talk about any results or lack of it. I would be interested to hear more about that!

I think the data from Dr Joseph Kraft and his +14k insulin measurement are invaluable info in understanding more about how and why someone can be obese and not T2D, while someone else is both T2D and obese. Ty @RalfLott for that reminder. A vid with Croft showing why insulin PP 2-5 hrs are the most in informative numbers regarding hidden diabetes "diabetes in-situ".
    https://youtu.be/pYta4vme5is'
    I have a personal stake here. Asians are at higher risk for being TOFI. "Of the 422 million adults with the chronic disease, an estimated 129.3 million were in China, the Global Report on Diabetes" from WHO. Possibly up to 500 mill have prediabetes in China...With current thresholds to measure T2D. Hga1c at 5.7%. In the wake of T2D is also the up to 40% increased risk of coronary stroke and correlation with diabetes and cancer and Alzheimer's. It's gonna be a disaster when the Chinese government simply won't have the funds to treat all the patients. (it doesn't look swell for western govts either).

The problem is...you can't stop people from slowly eating themselves to death. I'm not sure even informing people of the risk for blindness or amputations is motivating enough to stop eating cake and cookies...or goddamn "healthy" wholegrain muffins.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Very sobering info from everyone. There's so much to be aware of. It will definitely help to treat ourselves as good as we can and hope we detect any issues early on.
    Thanks for sharing these stories
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    OP, you're very right! Sorry for your loss and @cstehansen too. That's really young and abrupt in both cases.

The more I research T2D, the more it seems the pancreas is very vulnerable to hyperinsulinimia and visceral fat surrounding and inside the gland.

IMO Dr. Roy Taylor is a pioneer in developing non-surgical clinical protocols for reversing T2D. His approach is to target the fatty pancreas to reverse T2D in a guerilla style attack. His theory is that when we hit our individual Personal Fat Threshold (PFT ), the stage when the pancreas loses function due to visceral fat, T2D is on the horizon. His theory elegantly includes those of us who are TOFI. Normal weight people with abdominal fat.

https://youtu.be/6vsrB_dlUzI
    It could be argued that both a fatty liver and pancreas are important players on the road to T2D. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fatty-liver-t2d-25/

I'm not quite sure what's going on, but either the beta cells "burnout" by too much abuse OR the gland gets damaged by the hyperinsulinmia OR the fat prevents the gland to function properly. Or a combo of all above. Suffice to say, Dr Taylor's protocol is probably only for the very motivated. Getting healthy isn't comfy. The protocol has been popularized by Mosley into the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet. He changed the protocol to 800 kcal, but it seems to work for many people according to the reviews on amazon. Someone in this group posted some time ago about doing it...but didn't talk about any results or lack of it. I would be interested to hear more about that!

I think the data from Dr Joseph Kraft and his +14k insulin measurement are invaluable info in understanding more about how and why someone can be obese and not T2D, while someone else is both T2D and obese. Ty @RalfLott for that reminder. A vid with Croft showing why insulin PP 2-5 hrs are the most in informative numbers regarding hidden diabetes "diabetes in-situ".
    https://youtu.be/pYta4vme5is'
    I have a personal stake here. Asians are at higher risk for being TOFI. "Of the 422 million adults with the chronic disease, an estimated 129.3 million were in China, the Global Report on Diabetes" from WHO. Possibly up to 500 mill have prediabetes in China...With current thresholds to measure T2D. Hga1c at 5.7%. In the wake of T2D is also the up to 40% increased risk of coronary stroke and correlation with diabetes and cancer and Alzheimer's. It's gonna be a disaster when the Chinese government simply won't have the funds to treat all the patients. (it doesn't look swell for western govts either).

The problem is...you can't stop people from slowly eating themselves to death. I'm not sure even informing people of the risk for blindness or amputations is motivating enough to stop eating cake and cookies...or goddamn "healthy" wholegrain muffins.

The study being referenced in the first video is one I found early on after getting the T2 diagnosis. Digging in, it seemed logical to me that if "controlling" BG primarily by jacking up insulin either through oral meds that increased your own production or through insulin injections did little to nothing to improve long-term prognosis, then keeping BG lower some other way seemed logical.

I was at a bit of a loss because the only approach being advocated out of this, if I remember correctly, was essentially dropping calories down low enough to mimic gastric bypass causing rapid fat loss with the expectation it would remove fat from the pancreas which was essentially preventing it from producing enough insulin. My problem was I was 6'1" and 190 lbs with about 18-19% body fat. I did not have enough body fat to lose to get the kind of results they were showing.

Before I ever heard of LCHF or keto, I figured on my own if I dramatically cut my carb intake (because I did know enough to know all of those turned to glucose in my blood), that would be a better option for me. Sure enough, it dropped me from the diabetic range back to pre-diabetic.

I think Dr Kraft is definitely on target. His book is one that I have on my list to read. I vividly remember this interview from the keto summit discussing his study because I listened to it twice.

It seems to indicate if one is IR, the beta cells will continually ramp up production naturally to try to maintain normal BG until they burn out. This would explain why Roy Taylor is saying those diagnosed with T2 have already lost 50% of production. It is because they don't get diagnosed until the IR is so bad for so long that the beta cells are no longer able to overcompensate. If we diagnosed based on the insulin assay proposed by Dr Kraft where diagnosis would be based on insulin response, we could begin addressing much sooner BEFORE the beta cells have been damaged.

Both of these seem to be strictly focused on those with IR caused T2, which is the vast majority. However, this is why a functional medicine approach is needed so those of us oddballs who manage to get there without being IR don't just get the treatment associated with IR, just because it is easier to assume and run everyone through the cattle lines we call doctors' offices.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dr. Crofts and Chris Masterjohn PhD from the Keto Summit were the ones who started me down the path to figuring out my own hiccups. I'll have to watch these when I've more time to pay full attention.

That being said, does anyone know which tests should be run to determine beta cell function in a pre-diabetic (or pre-pre/in situ person who is insulin resistant)? The tests I have seen mostly refer to T1D... C-Peptide is a hard thing to interpret... I'd be interested if anyone can direct me to which tests provide the most comprehensive results here.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    My apologies if these interviews with Dr. Kraft have already been posted, but just in case, here are 4 vids with Ivor Cummins.

(If you're interested, be sure to read the accompanying blurbs on Youtube for links to more info at http://www.thefatemperor.com.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGiGPNjsIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nV-_ddXoc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgs6Sv_HdE4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDypIhrz4c

@baconslave
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Here's a discussion about Kraft's work with Ivor Cummins, Ted Naiman, and Jeffry Gerber.

https://youtu.be/193BP6aORwY
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Look at that video haul! *whistles*
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Lot of good info. It was a friend who had pancreatic cancer at the time I started this WOE that drove me to put myself through several cancer resolving protocols used in Europe and Asia.

Keeping our CRP (C-Reactive Protein) levels very low seems to be key in preventing cancer and all health related issues. Lowing my CRP level is about the only factor I work on now. In doing that I am addressing mitochondrial health by default.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Lot of good info. It was a friend who had pancreatic cancer at the time I started this WOE that drove me to put myself through several cancer resolving protocols used in Europe and Asia.

Keeping our CRP (C-Reactive Protein) levels very low seems to be key in preventing cancer and all health related issues. Lowing my CRP level is about the only factor I work on now. In doing that I am addressing mitochondrial health by default.

I just now read an article since you mentioned this @GaleHawkins. Seems most everything is benefited by exercise (which the article I read indicates). I'm going to go take my walk now for that added benefit. Thanks.

Adding, my compassion to all of you who have friends and loved ones who passed with pancreatic cancer. My Mom had a couple bouts with colo-rectal and when it metastasized to her pancreas, her life ended very quickly. It is a very painful, painful cancer. This is once case where I will give praise to big pharma for keeping her comfortable.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    suzc11 wrote: »
    2 years ago today we lost my brother, then just 53, to pancreatic cancer (so forgive me if I'm a bit dramatic!) The prevailing symptom was unexplained diabetes. He was like a lot of people who find their way to this WoE, he was overweight but active, big beer belly, so it didn't really come as a surprise. They treated the diabetes for a long time. For a while it worked and all the weight came off. Only when he started having lots of digestive problems and his bg was still out of whack that they thought perhaps the diabetes was the symptom and not the problem, and by then it was too late. Not sure why I'm saying all this except to flag up the link between the two. If in doubt, get it checked out, folks.

I never really thought about that connection. Thank you for sharing this. My father died of pancreatic cancer in his early 40's, so it is probably something I should keep in mind for me and my family.

((hugs)) I am sorry for your loss.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed T2D last July after my 4th or 5th pancreatis flare up. I had my gallbladder removed and first of many pancreatitis attacks in 2014. I am now diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. I just started seeing an endo who put me on Humolog 3x a day and Levemir at night. My calcium levels are high and he said something about my thyroid so more tests coming. When first diagnosed i was averaging about 142 BG and my a1c was 6.9. Now I usually am over 240 and my a1c is 9+. My pancreas is very scarred from the pancreatitis attacks its,not producing insulin OR the digestive enzymes it's supposed to so I am on creon with food as well. Basically I'm a mess and my pancreas isn't working.

I'm sorry for the losses shared here. I lost my (adopted) mom in 2009 of pancreatic cancer 6wks after diagnosis.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    I was diagnosed T2D last July after my 4th or 5th pancreatis flare up. I had my gallbladder removed and first of many pancreatitis attacks in 2014. I am now diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. I just started seeing an endo who put me on Humolog 3x a day and Levemir at night. My calcium levels are high and he said something about my thyroid so more tests coming. When first diagnosed i was averaging about 142 BG and my a1c was 6.9. Now I usually am over 240 and my a1c is 9+. My pancreas is very scarred from the pancreatitis attacks its,not producing insulin OR the digestive enzymes it's supposed to so I am on creon with food as well. Basically I'm a mess and my pancreas isn't working.

I'm sorry for the losses shared here. I lost my (adopted) mom in 2009 of pancreatic cancer 6wks after diagnosis.

That's pretty heavy! I hope you can get the best treatment dialed in quickly with the help of your new endo. <3

It sounds like you may be T1D, not T2D (or possibly both, like @midwesterner85). @Sunny_Bunny_ has a ton of experience with her daughter's T1D and might be able to refer you to some good resources (the only one I know is Type1Grit on social media).

I've taken Creon/pancreatin when I had pancreas trouble (probably acute pancreatitis - no fun :s ). It seemed to work pretty well....

• ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

That's pretty heavy! I hope you can get the best treatment dialed in quickly with the help of your new endo. <3

It sounds like you may be T1D, not T2D (or possibly both, like @midwesterner85). @Sunny_Bunny_ has a ton of experience with her daughter's T1D and might be able to refer you to some good resources (the only one I know is Type1Grit on social media).

I've taken Creon/pancreatin when I had pancreas trouble (probably acute pancreatitis - no fun :s ). It seemed to work pretty well....

[/quote]

Thank you @Ralflott. I hope so too. I hope so too. He did mention the possibility that I maybe combo or going into T1, and depending on how I respond having to go to a pump.

Any info on resources is appreciated, i am trying to learn what to do and gett
    it done is slow work but I am trying, and could do better.

The creon is helping a lot, I still have digestive problems, mostly when I don't do what i should (you know how that goes).
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »

Thank you @Ralflott. I hope so too. I hope so too. He did mention the possibility that I maybe combo or going into T1, and depending on how I respond having to go to a pump.

Any info on resources is appreciated, i am trying to learn what to do and gett
    it done is slow work but I am trying, and could do better.

The creon is helping a lot, I still have digestive problems, mostly when I don't do what i should (you know how that goes).

Why, yes, I do know. :*

I'm certain you'll get on top of it, considering how focused you are and religious about testing.

Of course, what's worked for someone, anyone else may not work for you, but at least it's a starting point.

From what @midwesterner85 has related, quite a few T1Ds develop T2D as they age.

Type1Grit (FB) had pretty extensive info on T1D when I looked around a few months ago, but a lot of it went over my head.

Hang in there - you'll get it figured out!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I gotta jump in and make sure this isn't suggesting that T2D turns into T1D just because beta cells stop producing insulin... that's not how T1D works.