Blood work experiment

Options
erin3011
erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
Had my blood work done, for a new baseline reading.

Total cholesterol: 225
LDL: 152
HDL: 54
Tri: 93 (was over two hundred in December)

In three months I'll test again.
My doc said this WOE would drastically increase all my number and cause me to be on meds. He suggested a HCLF diet instead of LCHF. He said our bodies weren't built for a LC diet. We shall see.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are the improvements you've already had from eating LCHF?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    erin3011 wrote: »

My doc said this WOE would drastically increase all my number and cause me to be on meds. He suggested a HCLF diet instead of LCHF. He said our bodies weren't built for a LC diet. We shall see.

Are these a lot different than your old baseline nos? Being under 200 on tri in a couple of months is a good thing.
  • erin3011
    Options
    erin3011 wrote: »

Are these a lot different than your old baseline nos? Being under 200 on tri in a couple of months is a good thing.

My doc didn't tell me and I'm going to have to request a copy of the records. The diet test in December was from an urgent care visit that started all this. But they did tell me that my tri's were really high.
  • erin3011
    Options
    Are the improvements you've already had from eating LCHF?

I'm not sure but it is the only thing that has changed. I'll test again in three months then I'll post my December, February, and may results. If I continue, I'll have another year in 3-6 months depending on what the may results are.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I want to get my blood work tested as well. I've been eating LCHF for almost two years now and would love to see the numbers. Do I need to ask for any specific tests or can I just ask them to check my cholesterol?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I want to get my blood work tested as well. I've been eating LCHF for almost two years now and would love to see the numbers. Do I need to ask for any specific tests or can I just ask them to check my cholesterol?

The standard way of checking cholesterol only give HDL, LDL and triglycerides and when doing this, they measure what is called LDL(c) which is the total mass of the LDL. Without getting too complicated, you want to also get LDL (p) which is the number of LDL particles. There are at least 3 different size LDL particles. You can have a small number of LDL particles that are very large giving you a high LDL, but that is healthy. By the same token, you could have what the standard test shows as low LDL, but because they are all very small, you have a large number of them and that is bad. The smaller the LDL particles, the more atherogenic they are - meaning the more they cause damage to artery walls which leads to CVD.

You also want your hsCRP score which will allow you to use the below link which has been shown to be 30-50% more accurate in predicting risk than the standard risk assessments which only use cholesterol.

http://www.reynoldsriskscore.org/default.aspx
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

The standard way of checking cholesterol only give HDL, LDL and triglycerides and when doing this, they measure what is called LDL(c) which is the total mass of the LDL. Without getting too complicated, you want to also get LDL (p) which is the number of LDL particles. There are at least 3 different size LDL particles. You can have a small number of LDL particles that are very large giving you a high LDL, but that is healthy. By the same token, you could have what the standard test shows as low LDL, but because they are all very small, you have a large number of them and that is bad. The smaller the LDL particles, the more atherogenic they are - meaning the more they cause damage to artery walls which leads to CVD.

You also want your hsCRP score which will allow you to use the below link which has been shown to be 30-50% more accurate in predicting risk than the standard risk assessments which only use cholesterol.

http://www.reynoldsriskscore.org/default.aspx

I discussed these other, more specific tests with my doctor at Kaiser & she absolutely refused to do those tests for me. Then when my standard LDL numbers came back a little higher than my previous averages, I asked for the specific tests again, but then she said that they don't even offer those tests at all.

Do you go somewhere specific to get these tests done?? Or maybe I just need to say goodbye to Kaiser??
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Lab Corp will do these. According to Jimmy Moore or Dr Nally (can't remember which of them said it), if you call them, they will run them. If I understood it correctly, they will essentially get you a doctor's order for them from their network.

They are not in all states, but they are the ones I remember because that is who ran my blood work. There was another lab mentioned, but I don't recall the name. Then Jimmy Moore mentioned a mail in lab that you can use from anywhere, but then you get into whether or not you can get insurance to cover it.

I am sure you can go to one of Jimmy Moore's websites (i.e. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/) and get the names of labs and even more info on how to get these done.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Do you go somewhere specific to get these tests done?? Or maybe I just need to say goodbye to Kaiser??

Check out Health Check USA. http://www.healthcheckusa.com

You can order your own blood work there and I've always found them to be very accurate. IF you do NOT see a test you want done listed, then please ask them about it. I needed a certain test done some time back and it wasn't listed but when I asked them, they were more than happy to include it for me.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Btw, Health Check does use Lab Corp and other labs.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    "My doc said this WOE would drastically increase all my number and cause me to be on meds. He suggested a HCLF diet instead of LCHF. He said our bodies weren't built for a LC diet. We shall see."

First, my body begs to differ.

Second, given your numbers, I doubt you'll see much change. Triglycerides might go down further, HDL might go up a little more, LDL may or may not go up a little.

But here's the thing with LDL -- going up on the test isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he wants to freak, insist on the test mentioned in previous comments here. Dollars to donuts, your particle size will go up and number will be the same or decrease, which are very good things.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My Total & LDL numbers went up in my blood work. The LDL only went up by 13 though, yet now my doc is trying to push me to take meds for it. Ridiculous. Every other number that came back improved dramatically though -especially A1C & ALT. Also my BMI is now in the normal range too. In addition, I just noticed the other day that my tonsils shrunk in size to about half of what they used to be -and the doc was saying that my large tonsils are likely the cause of my sleep apnea. So that alone is a HUGE plus for me. It seems to me that if this diet literally improved EVERY OTHER aspect of my health, then this is, without a doubt, the correct way to go. I know I most definitely feel healthier now.
  • erin3011
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    "My doc said this WOE would drastically increase all my number and cause me to be on meds. He suggested a HCLF diet instead of LCHF. He said our bodies weren't built for a LC diet. We shall see."

First, my body begs to differ.

Second, given your numbers, I doubt you'll see much change. Triglycerides might go down further, HDL might go up a little more, LDL may or may not go up a little.

But here's the thing with LDL -- going up on the test isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he wants to freak, insist on the test mentioned in previous comments here. Dollars to donuts, your particle size will go up and number will be the same or decrease, which are very good things.

I just watched the fat head video about this! It is interesting that these tests are done before handing out the pills. I told my doc that I would NEVER take statins. They are dangerous in my opinion. He tried to tell me that while there is a very rare minuet chance of a bad reaction, it practically never happens and I'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually has had a bad reaction to it. Little does he know that I'm married to a man that could have lost his liver and kidneys (and possibly his life) had he not gotten the 3 week liver enzymes and blood work check done. This test has now been deemed unnecessary (thanks to some fancy studies) and is no longer covered with insurance. He got a call from the doctor and they asked him to go into the hospital/ER to have the test re-done. They were thinking the test was just faulty. They asked him if he could walk, and if he felt ok. He felt fine. (He was a very fit triathlete at the time, and thankfully drank about a gallon of water per day.) When he got the result of the second test, they immediately admitted him to the hospital. His liver enzymes (I can't remember what they are called) were supposed to be under 100... they were above 8000. The doctors were stumped as to how he was even able to walk, let alone feel fine. He had attributed any muscle pain/fatigue to his intense training, and didn't realize anything was wrong. He had to have the drug flushed from his system and they monitored his liver and kidney functions for 5 days. They said that his organs weren't functions properly, and if flushing the meds out didn't "restart" them, that further "treatment/interventions" would need to be discussed. Thankfully they all responded well and he is doing fine. He has some organ damage and can't take a certain medication now (he can't take any statins, anything with the same delivery system as a station, and he can't take Tylenol) but otherwise he is ok. He went on a low fat high carb vegan diet for about two years and his numbers only climbed. With no way to control his cholesterol medically or dietary, he pretty much has given up caring about those numbers. I'm hoping to see a good reaction with my blood work, to prove to him that eating an egg yolk isn't the problem! Sugar is! He wants to lose weight, but is scared to do a HFLC diet. He's been told his entire life that fat is evil and saturated fat is deadly.
    We shall see!
  • erin3011
    Options
    I meant to say "it is interesting that these tests AREN'T done..."
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My Total & LDL numbers went up in my blood work. The LDL only went up by 13 though, yet now my doc is trying to push me to take meds for it. Ridiculous. Every other number that came back improved dramatically though -especially A1C & ALT. Also my BMI is now in the normal range too. In addition, I just noticed the other day that my tonsils shrunk in size to about half of what they used to be -and the doc was saying that my large tonsils are likely the cause of my sleep apnea. So that alone is a HUGE plus for me. It seems to me that if this diet literally improved EVERY OTHER aspect of my health, then this is, without a doubt, the correct way to go. I know I most definitely feel healthier now.

Tell your doctor to do the LDL particle size and count tests or STFU about meds.

The standard test only tests total concentration. So if the particles get bigger, which is a good thing, the measurement goes up anyway.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Really good info here. @baconslave perhaps this could be added to the launch pad?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Tell your doctor to do the LDL particle size and count tests or STFU about meds.

The standard test only tests total concentration. So if the particles get bigger, which is a good thing, the measurement goes up anyway.

The sub-particle tests - surprise! - are often not covered, but Apo-A1 and ApoB correlate (and they usually are covered).
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My next doctor's appointment is in a week. I know he will do the A1C, and I may ask for the cholesterol too just because I went off cholesterol meds on my own after my last results came back with a total of 156 and good ratios on the statin.

My 30 day average for blood glucose is 117, and the mySugr app for my phone estimates a 5.9. My January appt. had 6.9 for the A1C, so I am expecting some improvement (although perhaps not so dramatic as my readings would predict).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Maybe have a pint of vinegar every night before bed?