Got new LCHF Lab Results for Year 2.

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
In about 30 days I will have been in nutritional ketosis (just under 50 grams of carbs daily) for two years most of the time. Last year another doctor wanted to put me on statins for my 404 cholesterol level. I said NO let us weight a year and now I am glad I did.

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
Total Cholesterol - 226
HDL - 38
LDL - 146
Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
Total Cholesterol - 404
HDL - 56
LDL - 323
Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (today) labs were:
Total Cholesterol - 257
HDL - 63
LDL - 186
Triglycerides - 36

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

LCHF required a step of faith with the cholesterol going thought the roof after the first year in my case but it is working giving me better general health.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Just awesome. :) Congratulations.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Those are some wonderful numbers! Way to go!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what exactly all those numbers mean in layman terms please?
    The difference between total cholesterol and hdl and ldl and triglycerides?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic Gale!! I'll be going to lab and blood work shortly too (my second year) so we'll see how they compare.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm approaching my second year too and excited to get new numbers!

::flowerforyou::
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You have the right kind of stubbornness :) Congrats on your incredible health turnaround that you have shared with us throughout your journey!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what exactly all those numbers mean in layman terms please?
    The difference between total cholesterol and hdl and ldl and triglycerides?

I recommend reading "Cholesterol Clarity" by Jimmy Moore, and then reading Peter Attia's more in-depth site (or watch his youtube series) http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

Basically, the better your HDL/trig ratio is, the better your heart health... http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/public/796.cfm

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great example your experience will be to others that come through here with dooming doctors insisting they're on their on their deathbed!
    I know people have turned away from eating this way because of stuff like this and are no better for it.
    Congrats on your great success!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is awesome news! You have given us all hope and inspiration!!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Fantastic numbers!!! I am about to get my blood drawn after 6 months keto - your numbers give me strength to resist drugs if mine have gone up since last time.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Last year another doctor wanted to put me on statins for my 404 cholesterol level. I said NO let us weight a year and now I am glad I did.

[...]

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

THANK YOU for posting that. My total cholesterol came back in April at 326, HDL 88, LDL 225, TG 65. The OB/GYN told me, very earnestly and seriously, that even though my HDL and triglycerides were great, I should go to my PCP and let him put me on statins b/c of the LDL. What he didn't tell me was that menopause causes cholesterol to go up, sometimes very significantly. Nor did he know that over the previous 16 months, I'd lost 20 lbs. of my 25-lb. menopause weight gain, doing LCHF with carb levels around 50g to 60g/day and regular exercise.

Not prescribing statins unless TC is > 290? Our PCP wants to prescribe if TC is barely over 200! He nags my husband at every visit to go on statins, despite a TC around 180, and reasonable HDL and TG, because he wants the LDL under 100 instead of in the low 130s.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I bet you feel over the moon with those numbers. And everyone is right they are inspiring and will hopefully give new folk an example of the pattern and the process.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful Gail!! Faith is so important when sticking to this woe! I know you're happy you did! Your triglycerides are fan, effing, tastic! Thank you for posting!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Great results! :)
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kudos, Gayle, for refusing the statins and taking charge of your health!

My situation mirrors @castlerobber's in that my PCP wanted me to take them at total cholesterol 207 and low triglycerides. I had lost over 20 pounds and not once did he ask me how I was eating. He seemed irritated at my refusal. Needless to say, I now have a new PCP. My first appointment was early this month and labs were taken then. The nurse called with the results and the total cholesterol was 239 and triglycerides at 44. She said the doc was calling in a statin, to follow a low fat diet, and get regular exercise!! She took notes to relay to the doctor when I explained how I was eating, my exercise routine, and the resulting weight loss. I will give this new doctor a benefit of a doubt and see where this is going to go, but I refuse to take them! It is so disheartening when they push the "textbook" prescriptions without analysis of the individual person's lifestyle.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Awesome news, Gale!! You have accomplished an amazing transformation to a healthy You!! Seeing your numbers gives me hope that mine (total 300 -6 months ago) can be better if I keep it up!!
  • mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Last year another doctor wanted to put me on statins for my 404 cholesterol level. I said NO let us weight a year and now I am glad I did.

[...]

THANK YOU for posting that. My total cholesterol came back in April at 326, HDL 88, LDL 225, TG 65. The OB/GYN told me, very earnestly and seriously, that even though my HDL and triglycerides were great, I should go to my PCP and let him put me on statins b/c of the LDL. What he didn't tell me was that menopause causes cholesterol to go up, sometimes very significantly. Nor did he know that over the previous 16 months, I'd lost 20 lbs. of my 25-lb. menopause weight gain, doing LCHF with carb levels around 50g to 60g/day and regular exercise.

Not prescribing statins unless TC is > 290? Our PCP wants to prescribe if TC is barely over 200! He nags my husband at every visit to go on statins, despite a TC around 180, and reasonable HDL and TG, because he wants the LDL under 100 instead of in the low 130s.

Yes my PCP wants mine under 200 as well. It's good information here. I lost 20 last year went to the Dr. in January and my total cholesterol was 240. I was kind of disappointed because of the weight loss didn't realize LCHF could cause your cholesterol to go up in the beginning. I've been on statins for several years now. Great job GaleHawkins!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    r9guqyunqwwa.jpg

Great numbers, keep it up!

>:) or o:)
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options

[...]

And he also didn't test to see if your LDL was made up of dense molecules or the light and fluffy kind that aren't so harmful. That makes a big difference in interpreting LDL numbers.