Keto Advice Needed

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice from folks who have successfully lost weight and maintained being Ketogenic. My family and I have been keto for over 30 days and while initially we lost pounds daily, it's become apparent to me that must have been water weight, it's all staled out. Thoughts??

Replies

• crismike68
    crismike68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto since the end of October, I have lost 31 pounds. There have been some times where I have gone off track due to sickness. My really good friend has been doing this since September and has lost 52 pounds. I think the key to this lifestyle change is don't give up! If you fall off the wagon and cheat, don't let it discourage you...just get back on and continue ;) it is worth it!!!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    there is lots of really good advice, resources and support over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Water weight is generally the first couple of days. But as in most weight loss, your body has its own timetable. Even in keto 1-2 lbs a week is the usual recommended rate unless you are really big and even then 2-3 a week is normal. And it is not linear. I wouldn't expect to lose lbs daily for ever. If you have stalled for 2-3 weeks, then I would adjust what you are doing but if it has just slowed down to a normal rate, perhaps, you are expecting too much in too little time?

However, generally if you lower fat levels a little, and adjust protein or complex carbs up a little, your body will adjust some. Also, remember, only eat when you are hungry.

dietdoctor.com is a good resources too.

Hope that helps.
  • oliviaforthewin
    oliviaforthewin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been in ketosis for 3 weeks now. I lost 10 lbs within the first week and then didn't lose any weight the following week. I purchased some urinary test strips for $10 on amazon to make sure I was still in ketosis. I was, but on the lower end. I switched things up a bit and stopped consuming any sugar alcohols, much like the ones in atkins bars, sugar free syrup, etc., and immediately started losing weight again! I really do feel like they hindered my weight loss. I hope that helps! Good luck on your journey!
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started a plato...so I'm skipping all carbs for 3 days. Except for some physyllum husk fiber. Hopefully this will get things moving again. I lost 5 lbs and then nothing.
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    I lost 49 lbs on keto and hit a long plateau. I tracked my eating more closely and found I was not hitting my macros correctly. In my case, I was overdoing it on the fat. An over abundance of calories from fat stalled my weight loss.

The other thing I now do is reevaluate my macros with every 10 lbs of weight loss.

Add intermittent fasting to your routine if you are comfortable with that. I have a 12 hour stretch between dinner and breakfast without food since it is easy. I find myself skipping the noon meal frequently because I am not hungry.

KCKO!

(Keep Calm and Keto On)
  • janislil
    janislil Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like that, KCKO! I started at the end of Dec. and lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks, and now down a total of 40lbs. Ditto on cutting more carbs, ( or no carb for a few days ), If you're eating white carbs, cut those as well and reset your micros, and I will add ... stay away from dairy for a few days...btw: eggs are not dairy, (which I did not know). Intermediate fasting helped me as well. As mentioned above, dietdoctor.com is a great site. Good luck!