Land's End to John o'Groats (as the crow flies) challenge

Options
Slimpossible007
Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,250 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
No start or end date, Please feel free to join in at any time :smile:

It will take as long as it takes and will depend on how many of us join in!

How does this sound? We will try, as a group to walk, run, skip, swim, cycle, cross trainer, treadmill etc etc etc the distance from Land's End to John o'Groats (as the crow flies which is 603 miles (970.434km)

If there is just 2 or 3 of us then it will simply take a little longer than it would take if there was 10 or 15 of us!

I will be starting tomorrow Thursday 1st June. again join at any time .. its about fitness, not start dates!
Never wait for tomorrow to do what you can do today

log your distance travelled in this thread and I will keep this updated to show how far has been travelled in total

log like this for my ease of keeping up to date :) she says looking hopefully for some interest :blush:

DATE 1st June
DISTANCE TRAVELLED -- in miles (preferably) but Ill convert to miles if you use KM :)
EXERCISE USED -- walk/ bike etc (just so that we can see at the end how the journey was reached :)

DATE 2nd June
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
EXERCISE USED

DATE 3rd June
DISTANCE TRAVELLED
EXERCISE USED

Hopefully I won't be doing it alone :neutral::worried:

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Ooooo me, me, me, me, me please. I will join you
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    2essie wrote: »
    Ooooo me, me, me, me, me please. I will join you

Brilliant 2essie, It seems we have a task and a half in front of us ;)

At the moment I walk or swim for exercise. how about you?
  • 2essie
    Options
    I watlk. I Usually do about 5 or 6 miles a day. I have osteoarthritis in my knees so it depends how good or bad they are. I push myself as far as I can. This could take us a while
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    might need to dig the exercise bike out just to clock up some miles lol

I'm sure another few will join us but it doesn't matter if they don't, its all good and gives us an aim (your 5-6 miles you are beating me already with that) ... i'm currently walk around 10 a week ... and swimming once or twice a week (but that doesn't cover much distance at all .. I'll just have to push a little extra miles on the sunny days :)
  • 2essie
    Options
    Looks like it could take us a while. It's a shame no one else joined yet. Iwas a good idea. Anyway, I am up to 6.1 miles today so far but I will record it later tonight
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes I am up for it have done 6 miles today so that's more than my usual and I only walk! We should record on a map where we are maybe?
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    yeah another joiner

welcome Sussexbythes

tracking on a map sounds like an idea

I use this to work out my distance travelled https://gb.mapometer.com/ we could screen shot and post ... I don't have any of the fancy gadgets to track my walks thou :)

• Slimpossible007
    edited June 2017
    Options
    DATE - 1st June
    DISTANCE TRAVELLED - 1.52 miles
    EXERCISE USED - walking

I was shopping for items my daughter needed for prom and for her holiday to paris :)

heading off for an early bed now as I'm still recovering from food poisoning :'(

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Hello Slimpossible007, 2essie and sussexbythesea. I'm in! Sounds like fun. I need something to get me back on track.

DATE - 1st June
    DISTANCE TRAVELLED 1 mile
    Exercise Use - Jessica Smith walking video.

Slimpossible, sorry you had food poisoning! Awful stuff. Hope you are feeling tiptop again soon.
  • 2essie
    Options
    Date 1st June

DISTANCE TRAVELLED 6.34 miles

EXERCISE -Walking

Sorry about the food poisoning simpossible. Hope you feel better soon
  • 2essie
    Options
    DATE - 2nd June

DISTANCE TRAVELLED - 5.31 miles

EXERCISE - Walking

Is someone adding all these miles together?
  • Slimpossible007
    edited June 2017
    Options
    2essie wrote: »
    DATE - 2nd June

DISTANCE TRAVELLED - 5.31 miles

EXERCISE - Walking

Is someone adding all these miles together?

I have a spreadsheet set up which I am keeping track of our daily miles .. Ill post weekly how well we are all doing :)

I've gone 1.11 miles today but I'm not sure if I'm done yet, attempting to talk my hubby into going out for another walk with me :) ...

welcome @AnnofB lovely to have you on board :) I'm Interested in knowing more about your walking video, Its sounds like a great idea for the miserable weather to keep my going, I usually dance but I can't count my strange dance moves as miles towards our challenge lol .. I seem to be over my food poisoning (thank goodness) TY for your well wishes :)

@2essie and @sussexbythesea fantastic mileage well done I can only hope that I can reach those miles one day :)

• sussexbythesea
    Options
    I have added 2 short walks today and up to 10 miles now, not sure about distance, Google maps says over 800 miles! If we go by crow flies we end up in sea and I am poor swimmer,
    Hope you over the food poisoning Slim possible
  • Slimpossible007
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have added 2 short walks today and up to 10 miles now, not sure about distance, Google maps says over 800 miles! If we go by crow flies we end up in sea and I am poor swimmer,
    Hope you over the food poisoning Slim possible

TY @sussexbythesea :) I am much better TY ...

Have you done 4 miles today making 10 over the 2 days? or was it 10 today?

me

DATE - 2nd June

DISTANCE TRAVELLED - 1.6 miles

EXERCISE - Walking

• sussexbythesea
    Options
    4 today so 10 in total, I am likely to give my totals rather than do sums...easy to just give my fitbit total!
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    @sussexbythesea TY for confirming :)
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    DATE 6/2
    DISTANCE TRAVELED 5 Miles
    EXERCISE Mowing the lawn, other yard work

Slimpossible, glad you are feeling better. You can see some Jessica Smith workouts on youtube. She's a good instructor. On one particular dvd I really like, she has figured the miles for you based on the steps in each workout. It's 5 Mix and Match Miles. All different and fun.
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    June 3rd thunder lightening and rain beating down ... err I hope it clears up a bit ... need to get me some waterproofs to deal with that in future :)

hope the suns shining where ever you all are

TY annof .. I may be giving that a go today lol
  • sussexbythesea
    Options
    Another walk today now up to 13.6 miles
  • Slimpossible007
    Options
    NSV today yay!!!

My youngest son almost killed me!!

I had been wondering how to get to a little loch near where I live (no roads or official paths) I was running my son to his GF's house and he said come I'll show you where the wee loch is!! ... ooo an wee impromptu walk I thought ... so we stop the car and get out .. 1 mile later and we are back at the car .. the killing part ??

we walked it in 15 mins .. so I was averaging 4MPH and the terrain was up down muddy hills on a winding dirt path ... and I've walked at my fastest pace since re starting my fitness ... yay!!

June 3rd
    dist - 2 Miles
    Exercise Yes.Walked 2 separate walks (one at 3mph, with hubby and one at 4mph with son)

not bad for me thinking I just wouldn't bother today :)