Joyful June

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,904 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
The summer is begun! Anyone got plans for summer vacation? Travel? Grandkids? Gardening?

Summer%2BQuotes.png

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I'm heading for Kejimkujic National,Park this weekend for a solo back country trip in the kayak. Four nights in the woods with a couple of good books, a bit of scotch and no electronics. Work de-tox to start retired life.
  • UncleMac
    Options
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group, but jumping in!

I'm going to Vegas later this week (meeting a group of friends that I met here on MFP).

The rest of my summer will be renovations on a house we bought recently and cycling with friends. Too bad I have to work!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Too bad I have to work!

Yup, I say this to myself almost daily.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    For those of you who are retired, can you share what persuaded you to give up on a pay cheque? I'm getting close to that decision point. Frankly, I'm trying to sort out in my mind what that will look like...
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Got fed up with the office politics and drama.

I took a post-retirement job with my best friend which almost closed the gap between full pay and retirement pay.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Got fed up with the office politics and drama.

I took a post-retirement job with my best friend which almost closed the gap between full pay and retirement pay.

My financial advisor pointed out that, with everything factored in, the difference between retirement pay and working is less than minimum wage... Office politics aren't bad now although they used to be awful...
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My June is about to be more joyful- flying out tonight for a weekend in Vegas!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Enjoy x
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    For those of you who are retired, can you share what persuaded you to give up on a pay cheque? I'm getting close to that decision point. Frankly, I'm trying to sort out in my mind what that will look like...

For me, the trigger was surviving a heart attack in 2014. I made a couple life decisions at that time, I would exercise and eat like a survivor, and I would take steps to not die behind a desk; not my fire chief desk or my director's desk at the rehab. I stepped down as chief at the end of my term in December 2014, lightening my load by 20 hours a week average and a lot of stress. We met with a financial advisor, and planned our future. I just retired three weeks ago. We won't be rich, but we will be fine. The plan is for my wife to teach another year, and I'll likely do something part time in the fall. I've got a couple possibilities, I kept my incorporated business alive from when I was consulting as an electrical designer, and have been doing some CCTV systems. Also, my original employer for 30 years, Michelin, called a few months ago to ask me back for a couple months on a machine commissioning. Great pay, and something I specialized in as a tech guy for many years. Unfortunately, their need was immediate and I was in a position of some responsability and couldn't just leave, so I passed that project up but left the door open for future.

I have a couple orders for my carpentry work, but that's more hobby than paying occupation. I don't think the local demand for hand made kayaks is large enough to keep me busy, but I'd like to do some commissions. If I could find a way to make a bit of a living with my woodwork I'd be happy to stay away from tech work, but it pays well and I do have the skills in this area. I'm only 61, and somewhat driven, so I'll end up doing something, but more on my terms.

I've only been retired three weeks, but I'm loving it. I'm up early, lots of projects on the go, hanging out with grandkids, motorcycling, going for a week backcountry trip this weekend, etc. I HIGHLY recommend it. Just getting off the 40 hour 5 day a week train opens up a while world of possibilities.
  • UncleMac
    Options

I've never been and I'm not a gambler but those who are and have say it's amazing. Have fun!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Farback wrote: »

For me, the trigger was surviving a heart attack in 2014. I made a couple life decisions at that time, I would exercise and eat like a survivor, and I would take steps to not die behind a desk; not my fire chief desk or my director's desk at the rehab. I stepped down as chief at the end of my term in December 2014, lightening my load by 20 hours a week average and a lot of stress. We met with a financial advisor, and planned our future. I just retired three weeks ago. We won't be rich, but we will be fine. The plan is for my wife to teach another year, and I'll likely do something part time in the fall. I've got a couple possibilities, I kept my incorporated business alive from when I was consulting as an electrical designer, and have been doing some CCTV systems. Also, my original employer for 30 years, Michelin, called a few months ago to ask me back for a couple months on a machine commissioning. Great pay, and something I specialized in as a tech guy for many years. Unfortunately, their need was immediate and I was in a position of some responsability and couldn't just leave, so I passed that project up but left the door open for future.

I have a couple orders for my carpentry work, but that's more hobby than paying occupation. I don't think the local demand for hand made kayaks is large enough to keep me busy, but I'd like to do some commissions. If I could find a way to make a bit of a living with my woodwork I'd be happy to stay away from tech work, but it pays well and I do have the skills in this area. I'm only 61, and somewhat driven, so I'll end up doing something, but more on my terms.

I've only been retired three weeks, but I'm loving it. I'm up early, lots of projects on the go, hanging out with grandkids, motorcycling, going for a week backcountry trip this weekend, etc. I HIGHLY recommend it. Just getting off the 40 hour 5 day a week train opens up a while world of possibilities.
    Getting off of the daily grind is definitely appealing. Since I've only got one income, I need to be careful but I'm not a particularly extravagant kinda guy...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I live in the best place in the word (a large metro and vacation spot), and I do not see much travel in our future.
    He likes to stay home while I fly to see family or invite them here occasionally.

Hubby and I have a few more years of work to go. We feel fulfilled by our work most of the time and, with the incremental upgrades to the house since we moved in, we have made the place so much more our own. It is small-ish, leaving us with financial options for non house issues.

I expect we both we will do part time gigs after we retire from the full time gig.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    @RodaRose, it sounds like you've got a pretty good setup!!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Retirement sounds wonderful... but it's quite a few years off for my hubby & I. Retirement for me is age 67. I'm 53 so another 14 years to go. But i enjoy my job so that's some compensation :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @BBee5064 , being happy with the job can otherwise outweigh the hassles that come up elsewhere. :mrgreen:
  • BBee5064
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    @BBee5064 , being happy with the job can otherwise outweigh the hassles that come up elsewhere. :mrgreen:

Very true :)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I'm listening to a podcast talking about society, creativity and human development. Dr. Jordan Peterson, a Canadian psychologist & philosopher, speaking of how creativity causes problems for people and how the vast majority of people aren't creative and don't truly appreciate creativity. The example he gives is how difficult it is for artists to monetize their efforts. Making a living as an artist is almost impossible. Some claim the struggle helps to refine and improve the quality of creators... the archetypal starving artist... He says the non-creative people retire and die because they lack purpose.

Thought provoking stuff...
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

I've never been and I'm not a gambler but those who are and have say it's amazing. Have fun!!

Not much gambling happened, just hung out with friends, did some people watching, and saw a couple of shows. Had a blast!