Carb count

Options
ddzgm
ddzgm Posts: 11 Member
Hello, I am new to this group. I am a diabetic who is looking to lose weight, get healthier and lower my blood sugar levels. When we say "low carb" how many carbs are we talking in a day? I have given up white flour, bread, rice, potatoes etc.... I am eating leaner meats and tons of veggies. No fruit for the last few weeks. I have recently lost about 5 lbs and have a long way to go. I need to incorporate exercise, that is my next goal. Any suggestions for a newcomer?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @2t9nty. @RalfLott. @midwesterner85.

I'm not diabetic so these guys and many others here are the ones to offer info. :)
  • Franky489
    Franky489 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Will the food diary track net carbs?
  • ddzgm
    Options
    I am tracking my glucose levels now... I wasn't for a while... I have been watching them come down since I have been eating better, about three weeks. I am on Janumet which is Metformin, 1000 mg and Januvia 50 mg. How do you stay under 20 mg of carbs? That sounds hard. I have been around 60 carbs lately. I guess I am not use to eating so little carbs.
  • ddzgm
    Options
    so, we are talking net carbs, basically carbs less fiber. Right? I was just checking my food diary and I am already at 20 carbs and I have not eaten dinner yet.
  • ddzgm
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • kpk54
    Options
    @ddzgm If you haven't seen the Diabetic Section in our "Stickies" yet, this will keep you busy reading for a while and may offer some insights:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482542/diabetic-discussions#latest
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My brother has been successful with treating his T2D using carb levels between 50-100g/day

he's about 6'1", probably 250-280 lbs...so you might not be able to go as high if you are smaller or female...
  • ddzgm
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I am female and 5'4.
  • kpk54
    Options
    ddzgm wrote: »
    okay people I am confused, what is "stickies"

Scroll up to the top of the page where it reads Low Carb Daily Forum...The LCD group and click on it. The "stickies" are there after the "click".
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    okay people I am confused, what is "stickies"

Scroll up to the top of the page where it reads Low Carb Daily Forum...The LCD group and click on it. The "stickies" are there after the "click".

Yes. On the group "home" page.
    They are under the Heading "Announcements."

To get there from here click, scroll to the top of the page.
    Click "Low Carber Daily Forum....The LCD Group." That page is the Group's Home page.
    Look under our logo and there is the Announcements section. Those links listed are the "stickies." They are always there for reference.
  • ddzgm
    Options
    got it! Thanks!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it does take some getting used to. I'm still around 50g carbs per day, but slowly trying to work down from there. aim for getting most of your carbs from low-starch veggies, about a cup with each meal, then once you subtract out the fiber, you should be ok. I find the visual guides on https://www.dietdoctor.com/ helpful and he has some good info for getting started on keto.

also, as a diabetic, be aware that protein does raise blood sugar. It took me a while to figure that out. It's not a big immediate spike like carbs, so a lot of people don't even mention it, but over the next few hours, you can see it. on the good side, that helps you feel full longer and not as inclined to snacking, but aim for a consistent amount of protein with each meal.

so now that you have some carbs and your required protein, add fat calories until you are full.
    I like Cheese (1g carb per ounce), goes nicely with broccoli or pretty much everything.

for some ideas on how to get more fat in your diet look up "fat bomb recipes".
  • ddzgm
    Options
    I am slowly reducing my carbs... it's getting easier. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I am slowly reducing my carbs... it's getting easier. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Make sure you are checking glucose. Metformin alone should not be an issue.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i do 20 carbs or less a day , been 36 days now and it gets easier , and fun trying to find things to eat , and i am cooking way more , I am losing , but i have a lot to lose . and remember sugar free jello , it is saving me LOL