Carb count

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I try and stay under 100 I prefer 50 I tried to go to 20 and in two days I seen my b/s at 3.9 to low for this gal. You can try going low up to the individual but be careful. You lose weight fast on ketosis but as soon as you get a slip it comes back on. Best of luck to all.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just to add more data to what has already been posted. I had T2db on the run by dropping under 100g carb a day. Since then I dropped my intake further to 20-40g daily to pursue a keto diet.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am T2D. I started at 50 net carbs daily and after some health problems went to 60 and then 70 and still lost weight. Now I have worked my way back down to coming under 50 daily. My advice is start high see what works for you. You can always work your way back down. You can still get into keto being under 100 carbs it just takes longer than it would if you are at 20 carbs or less. Good luck on your journey! You can do it!!
  • siarileygsd
    siarileygsd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i am new to the forum as well i used to try and stick to about 60 and lost about 2 stone,these days i have about 150 carbs a day and approx 1500 cals and have gained 6lb in one month despite plenty of exercise,either jogging cycling or gym on daily basis,need to get backon the low carb
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Hey how come this just died. Probably I can find another similar as i'm back on the wagon. And no bread no sugar works wonders.
  • imlightning
    imlightning Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was attempting 25-ish net carbs a day, but it wasn’t feasible for me. I noticed that I was craving vegetables (which would have thrown me over my count) and not wanting to eat another egg.

I’ve changed my percentages for macros to give a bit more carb flexibility and less fat. I’m naturally not fussy over grains (except for oatmeal), pasta or bread. Fill my plate with protein, salad and some vegetables and I’m happy.

So, technically I am low carb, but had to play around with things to find something I can live with.
  • imlightning
    imlightning Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I was attempting 25-ish net carbs a day, but it wasn’t feasible for me. I noticed that I was craving vegetables (which would have thrown me over my count) and not wanting to eat another egg.

I’ve changed my percentages for macros to give a bit more carb flexibility and less fat. I’m naturally not fussy over grains (except for oatmeal), pasta or bread. Fill my plate with protein, salad and some vegetables and I’m happy.

So, technically I am low carb, but had to play around with things to find something I can live with.

Low carb covers a lot of territory. It is a matter really of figuring out what works for you.

This is so true. My biggest downfall was beer, which I would drink daily, sometimes in excess. I’ve cut that out to 1-2 per week (on weekends only).

Bread or grains of any sort just make me hungrier. I’ve done best in the past on eating plans that don’t involve wheat, grains, etc but loaded up on other good and healthy items. The weight slid off, and as soon as I hit a rough patch and started throwing back the beers, it all came back (plus some more)
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Yes i find with this way of life low carbs as soon as you hit a flaw it comes right back on.@imlightning I hear you full well on eggs I get I don't want to see another egg. And I have chickens. lol
    We can we believe and we will do this
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This may sound obvious, but as this is a medical issue, you would do well to meet with a registered dietician.

I'll share my own experience with you though, in case you can glean anything from it. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. I know that is a bit different than T1 or T2, but I learned a lot about how carbs and sugar metabolize and how diet effects blood sugar levels.

With diabetes, its important to remember that its not just a total daily carb count, but how you allocate those across the day. 100 g in one meal is different than 100 in several throughout the day.

The plan I worked through with my dietician was perfect for me. I never needed insulin and managed 7 months each time with diet alone. I also never gained weight while pregnant.

Again, this was what worked for me through consultation with a professional:
    Breakfast: 15 carbs
    Morning snack: 15 carbs
    Lunch: 15 carbs
    Mid afternoon snack: 15 carbs
    Dinner: 30 carbs
    Evening snack, had to be within half hour of bed: 1/4 cup plain ice cream (no mixins). I'm not joking about this part. The ice cream was used to help balance blood sugar levels through the night. I always woke up with a perfect fasting blood sugar level. Plus, ice cream!

Good luck!
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Sounds like a very good plan. But i'm over with my oatmeal this morning. So no snack. But lunch will be quinoa veg. soup.

• DiabeticDer
    DiabeticDer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I range anywhere from 50 - 75 on any given day. It seems like whenever I go below 40 my BG gets too low.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Mine goes to low when I try to stick in 20 and 30 range. It's just to low like 3.9 I don't like that and scared of it.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back on here after a couple years myself.

the best lab results I've ever had were from doing low carb and I wasn't really counting carbs to the exact number. I just avoid the carbs that I know are bad for my BG like bread, beer, potatoes, candy, etc. Typically I will eat something like this

Breakfast
    2 eggs with cheese on top, bacon or sausage
    Omelet with peppers and onions

Lunch
    Tuna with full fat mayo and a string cheese or couple slices of pepper jack
    Hot Wings
    Leftover dinner
    Burger without the bun
    Taco salad

Dinner
    Steak, chicken, pork chops, carne asada with a veggie usually broccoli or cauliflower, sometimes a couple bites of potato lol

So The carbs I get are usually from condiments and veggies, probably stay between 25-75
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    I'm not being real strick with counting carbs but I do tend to watch and try and aim under 100. This past week was bad. I have to watch what i'm doing because my next A1C is coming up soon. And i was told to smarten up or end up on insulin. So far so good these last 5 years.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My average carbs in the first week were 71 per day. Net carbs for that week averaged 66 per day. Net average daily calories in week one was 1176. Exercise included one 3-mile walk (it was a busy week and I could only go walking one night after work). I dropped 9 pounds in the first week.

Now in week 2 my average is 101 carbs, or 88 net carbs per day. Net average daily calories in week 2 thus far has been 1211. And I've lost NOTHING. Walked 1.5 miles last night (my daughter did not want to go farther). Not a single bit of weight lost in the 2nd week thus far.

I'm suffering the week 2 curse, it looks like. Ugh.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    My average carbs in the first week were 71 per day. Net carbs for that week averaged 66 per day. Net average daily calories in week one was 1176. Exercise included one 3-mile walk (it was a busy week and I could only go walking one night after work). I dropped 9 pounds in the first week.

Now in week 2 my average is 101 carbs, or 88 net carbs per day. Net average daily calories in week 2 thus far has been 1211. And I've lost NOTHING. Walked 1.5 miles last night (my daughter did not want to go farther). Not a single bit of weight lost in the 2nd week thus far.

I'm suffering the week 2 curse, it looks like. Ugh.

So two weeks with 9 pounds lost....your weekly average loss is 4.5 pounds per week. Pretty phenomenal. 1 or two weeks in not a stall. A stall is around 6 weeks of no loss while doing the same proper things that resulted weight loss previously.

So yes, you are suffering the week 2 curse. And to answer the question I recall per your pre-edit...no I did not "stall" during my weight loss (which had similar to your carb intake-higher actually on average) but I also didn't lose every single week per my scale which reflects only full pounds. I averaged about 1.25 pounds/week and at the end of week 53 I woke up and was magically at my goal weight, 60 pounds lighter than when I started. Patience and tenacity. As a side note, I would have gone crazy monitoring tenths of a pound.

Here's the thing: weight loss is just practice for life long maintenance. You will likely never ever-ever-ever (unless you build significant muscle) be able to eat the amount you ate when you were gaining...on an on-going basis...without gaining the weight back. Keep practicing your new found habits and intake at a deficit. It will make maintenance easier... and you'll have a few more calories to work with.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor tenths of a pound, but I do get on the scale daily. And while I don't obsess, necessarily, I do use that as an indicator of things like "did I have too much sodium yesterday?" or "did I drink enough water yesterday?" I don't get frustrated if I "only" go down .2, but I am a bit miffed that in week 2 I haven't even had THAT happen!

I know not to expect to lose every week as time goes on, but in the beginning, given how much I want to lose (more than your amount), I figured I'd lose 1-2 pounds consistently for at least the first few weeks. I know, given how much I want to lose, I will need to consider this a life-long plan since it will take me AT BEST until Spring 2020 to get to my goal weight, and another 3-4 months after that before I get to my true "ideal" weight.

In the meantime, can I be aggravated by Week 2's seeming lack of results? Absolutely. =)