Ad Libitum April Challenge

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Who here is down for a month of not counting calories? Want to see if you can live like the crazies? Here's a chance to try it out for yourself. Or, if you're already doing it, here's a chance to officially track how it's working for you. I'll obviously be sticking to my usual goals: no plants (so trace carbs only) and no counting or measuring of anything but my weight.

Basics
  1. You can log your food, so long as you don't change how much you eat based on the calories.
  2. You don't need to log, if you don't want to.
  3. Your carb goal should be the only thing you count, if you include carbs, and should be strictly stayed under.
  4. You should make note of when you include sugar-alcohols and if you counted those carbs. Some people find that those do end up still counting.
  5. You should check in weekly* (Wednesday 4/1, 4/8, 4/15, 4/22, and Friday 5/1).
  6. You should try and stay in for the whole month. If nothing else, you'll prove to me you couldn't do it and still lose weight. :wink:

Weekly Check-In Should Include
  • Carb Goal:
  • Starting Weight (or 0.0):
  • Current Weight (or total change from starting weight):
  • Short description of how it's going for you. Anything you think is important or you want to mention.

Note: You can use weight or just the overall change in your weight. I'll actually be using my trend-weight on each day. You can do a "Change in weight" track, if you would prefer people not know your actual weight. That would be a starting weight of 0.0, and then you would add or subtract the difference each week..

Example of same person, different ways:
Weight:
(4/1, 184.0) (4/8, 185.3) (4/15, 184.2) (4/22, 182.9) (5/1, 181.1)

Change:
(4/1, 0.0) (4/8, +1.3) (4/15, +0.2) (4/22, -1.1) (5/1, -2.9)

Obviously, I hope it goes better than that for people who try this. :smiley:

* Yes, I realize that the final check-in is more than a week. But, that does give us the whole month worth and it was that or have one on the 29th and then another three days later. I'll also be creating a thread (hopefully the night before) for the check-ins. So, that will help remind people of the dates.

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    How do you count carbs and not see calories?
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How do you count carbs and not see calories?

You can only log foods that contain carbs, and not log foods that contain none. You can just keep a mental record of how many carbs you've had and add more when you eat something with carbs (easy if you're really low). Or you can eat no foods with carbs, avoid all plant matter. Now, the last one is imperfect because eggs and cheese will have some carbs. But, it's easy to keep it pretty low without having to log.

Edit: And "seeing" calories isn't the issue. It's changing behavior based on the value of that calorie information. It's not eating when you're still hungry because that would make you go over. Or eating when you're not really hungry, because you're low. You can log everything and see the calories each day, if you wanted. Just make a decision to ignore that number. How many people here look at every number MFP makes available?
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i'm in. i've been wanting to try this anyway. i don't have a scale though, and my access is somewhat limited, so i may want to check in based on other markers and just to a beg/end weigh-in, if that's cool. (i don't like to weigh more than once a month anyway - easier to see the. bigger picture that way).

thanks for suggesting/coordinating this!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I haven't been counting for awhile anyway. I've been stalled - well, I hesitate to use the word stalled, I've been eating poorly - so lets see if there is a midpoint between "must log everything in the most anal retentive fashion possible" and "eating everything in sight all the time"
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    i'm in. i've been wanting to try this anyway. i don't have a scale though, and my access is somewhat limited, so i may want to check in based on other markers and just to a beg/end weigh-in, if that's cool. (i don't like to weigh more than once a month anyway - easier to see the. bigger picture that way).

That's fine. Just check in weekly to let everyone know how you're doing. You can pick your own markers. You don't need to report them weekly, if you choose. Really, the check-ins are 80% for you, and 20% for everyone else to see how others are doing.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    I'm in, I haven't been counting for awhile anyway. I've been stalled - well, I hesitate to use the word stalled, I've been eating poorly - so lets see if there is a midpoint between "must log everything in the most anal retentive fashion possible" and "eating everything in sight all the time"

Yeah, the challenge will be to eat better. Eat until you're full, but only of high-quality foods. My problem area was always nuts and low-carb protein bars (quest, atkins, detour). Those were a quick way for me to lose track of eating because I was hungry and eating just because FEEEEEEDDD MEEEEE.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    And, to clarify, for others reading this. The point of eating ad libitum is not to eat until you're stuffed all the time. It's not a "month-long gorge." It's about eating when you're hungry and until you feel satisfied and aren't hungry anymore. You may not automatically end up eating more than you were eating when counting. Some days you may. Others you might be under.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I have 10 days holiday by myself with my sister and parents during April soooooo.... here goes nothing. :) That will just make it a little more challenging. >:)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Oooh, doing it during time off. That's doing it in hard-mode. LOL

The first week of summer was probably the hardest time for me. I was bored. So, I found myself thinking of food a lot more often. You can do it though!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Oh, what the hell. In. I'm also on vacation for the next week -- I won't be able to accurately track, so I might as well not track at all. Pedal to the metal ad lib for me. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Im gonna make a note to revive this thread in June. I have three weeks of untrackable food then.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I'm sure we could do this in June, too. I'll need to think of a neat alliteration for June.

Just Eat June... or Journal-less June... ;)
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've pretty much been doing it this way anyway. I only log things I think have carbs so my calorie counts are way off anyway. I try very hard to stay away from artificial sweeteners for other reasons so this is pretty much par for the course.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

That's fine. Just check in weekly to let everyone know how you're doing. You can pick your own markers. You don't need to report them weekly, if you choose. Really, the check-ins are 80% for you, and 20% for everyone else to see how others are doing.

right on. will do. (:
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    This is how I'm trying to eat anyway, so I'm in!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Goodness, not counting is scary to me. I'm too new at this and I'm afraid I'd go whole-hog.

But then, that would be ok, wouldn't it...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see such positive response to this!

I've taken the liberty of finding the CSS that controls the calorie column and the big calorie thing on the user home page and set them so they hide. The result is that you can have your other columns, and still log for purposes of carbs, and not see calories, and you don't get the giant calorie thing staring you in the face every day.

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you'll want to install the Stylish extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en (should work for Opera, too, though it might still have user stylesheets)
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/stylish/

If you use Internet Explorer, you can go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Accessibility to specify a user style sheet.

Then, edit the stylesheet for URLs starting with http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and add the following CSS:
    body#food-diary table.table0 tr.total td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tfoot tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr.meal_header td.first + td, #account-home #main #status-column #daily-summary { display: none; }

And presto! You have:

mj6i7241bhbe.png

Enjoy!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Very tempted, just a little afraid that I've only lost 10 lbs in 68 days so I can't spare any weight gain. Eeeekkk! OK, I can (and should!) count carbs so I'll be brave. Yes.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    If you use Chrome or Firefox, you'll want to install the Stylish extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en (should work for Opera, too, though it might still have user stylesheets)
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/stylish/

If you use Internet Explorer, you can go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Accessibility to specify a user style sheet.

Then, edit the stylesheet for URLs starting with http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and add the following CSS:
    body#food-diary table.table0 tr.total td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tfoot tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr.meal_header td.first + td, #account-home #main #status-column #daily-summary { display: none; }
    Enjoy!

Is the stylesheet empty to start with? If not, do we put this above any other content?
    And - do we just delete this same text afterwards to get the calories to show again?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    hmmmm......tempting...I'll think about it.
This discussion has been closed.