40+ women who lift

Options
grapaj
grapaj Posts: 136 Member
I'm 41.5 and have been lifting heavy for a few years. I'm at maintenance but want to cut about 10-15lbs by summer. I'm discouraged that my hard work in the gym is not showing and also am experiencing some programming blues.

Share your successes! Sorry if there's already a lifting thread, I couldn't search successfully on my phone.

Replies

• ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start, but I have some health issues. I don't really know where to start. I may purchase some personal training sessions.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Why do you say your hard work is not showing? I only ask because I went through something similar. I wasn't lifting heavy but I started doing body weight and had progressed past that somewhat ;) I too, felt that I wasn't seeing any real changes, but . . . let me tell you what can happen when you stop!

I noticed some changes, you know where you put on a garment and see some areas that don't quite look right :/ I think for me what was my biggest downfall was not seeing the scale move. I have since begin rehab from my scale addiction and plan to start back with my body-weight workouts and I figure at this point (age) doing anything except gaining is a plus.

At times when I would feel sort of down about my workouts (I always keep track) I would look back at how far I had come with them, and I knew I was building strength.

Sorry, this may not be the motivation you need but keep up good work.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am 41 yr old. I have been lifting for about the last 2 years. I love it, the gym is my therapy. I do change up my program a little about every 6 weeks. I also play volleyball and I try to do HIIT cardio 1-2 times a week. I love the results I'm seeing. You see yourself everyday, there are probably results that others can see that you may be blind to. :wink:
  • Lucilu75
    Lucilu75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 41. Started lifting only 2 months ago so very new to it and started strong curves last week. Not excercise sun 2 years. Have put on weight though in 10 weeks - 2kg!! Don't look any different although husband said I look healthier and that 'rome wasn't built in a day'. Have been eating sensibly. Suppose am being impatient. However, am really enjoying it and have already noticed strength improving already, especially upper body....
  • grapaj
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Why do you say your hard work is not showing? I only ask because I went through something similar..

I need to do a cut I think. There is definitely some body fat covering my muscles. I can feel my gains but not see them. I think I'm around 28% BF :-(

My weekend diet is taking away from my weekday diet. Grrrr! I need to track and be consistent.

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! Do I know about that weekend diet
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm pushing 48 like really really pushing 48. I am wanting to start lifting again but like others have posted, not really sure where to start. In for suggestions...
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    HOw do you estimate your % body fat? What should an endomorph aim for? Also, do you have trouble with water retention when you arw constantly pushing your weight limits?
  • grapaj
    Options
    I'm pushing 48 like really really pushing 48. I am wanting to start lifting again but like others have posted, not really sure where to start. In for suggestions...

StrongLifts or Thinner Leaner Stronger are two I like the most. And PhUL.
  • grapaj
    Options
    l3long wrote: »
    HOw do you estimate your % body fat? What should an endomorph aim for? Also, do you have trouble with water retention when you arw constantly pushing your weight limits?
    My non-scientific BF estimate came via this article. Lol!

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I use bodybuilding.com - their free app is BodySpace and has tons of programs that will show you exactly what to do (with video instruction) and suggest how many reps. I take my phone into the gym with me on my arm band so I can view which exercise is next. They have hundreds of programs and suggest programs based off your goals and age. It's free!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    l3long wrote: »
    My non-scientific BF estimate came via this article. Lol!

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/
    I use bodybuilding.com - their free app is BodySpace and has tons of programs that will show you exactly what to do (with video instruction) and suggest how many reps. I take my phone into the gym with me on my arm band so I can view which exercise is next. They have hundreds of programs and suggest programs based off your goals and age. It's free!

thanks Ladies...going to look into these and see what works for me!