Strength w/ Minimal Cardio

Options
So I've always been a bit of a cardio queen when I am actually sticking to my workout regimen. I also do strength training, but focus more on my cardio. Do any of you focus more on strength training and less on cardio? Strength training is more enjoyable to me and if I could cut my minutes of cardio (just get enough for heart health) and increase strength training and be fit, I would love that. Can I see your examples of weekly cardio minutes, strength training minutes and calories per day? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do no cardio whatsoever. Not a big fan of it-- never was and never will be. If I ever want to cut down, I plan on being at a slight deficit. I want to keep my calories high, and instead implement supersets and some plyo work for 'cardio'.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I spend about 3-3.5hours a week weight training, and 1.5-3 hours of cardio a week-1.5 most of the time, but sometimes I get talked into an extra Zumba class, or take a hike with the family. I only do cardio as a necessary evil to help me burn some fat. Someday when my BF is low enough I'll do less and less.

Calories? I was doing TDEE -20%, but wasn't losing. So I dropped them a bit more to 1600, still no loss. So I raised them for a few weeks, gained 1 lb. so I am back to about 1690-1800/day, 35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carb. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat but the scale isn't going down.

I'm 45, and 5'6". Weigh bout 159 right now with 25%BF, give or take.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! Was just wondering if this was something that any women on here actually did. I seem to hear a lot of big dudes talking about this form of exercise and fitness, but not so much with women. Been feeling like cardio is necessary evil as well :neutral_face:
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My only cardio is a walk at lunchtime (when I'm able to) and an incidental run during a mud race. Aside from that, I'm strictly lifting. 32yo, 5'6", 124 lbs, 16% body fat- TDEE is @2300. I'm bulking right now, so eating 2600-2700 cals/day.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My workout focus is on the strength side. But i only do that 3 days a week. If I feel the need to move on other days I'll go for a swim or dance. But I view those as optional extras - I don't feel guilty for missing out in those.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    very cool- really appreciating these responses! Meeting up with a friend of a friend personal trainer soon to get some help learning how to life with proper technique.