Moderation Schmoderation

Options
awesomekaty
awesomekaty Posts: 40 Member
This is weird because it isn't particularly an emotion I'm having problems with.

It's the concept of moderation.

I'm a very all or nothing person, and that's something I've really been trying to work on this time around when getting healthy. I can be running every single night eating nothing but veggies, or I can lounge on the couch eating a whole bag of Doritos. The middle ground that should exist for me is an unnatural and rarely visited place, but I'm trying to find it.

So when I went to my 'birthday celebration' at work today, I said, "You go ahead and eat those desserts, Katy. People make them special just for you, you took a 30 minute walk at lunch, and it's alright to live your life sweetly on occasion."

I ate one double chocolate cookie and one butterscotch blondie bar, totaling around 400 calories.

And now the emotion.

Why the heck did I eat those?! Yes they were good, but now I feel terrible and like I should just grab a sack of McDonalds on the way home from work and dismantle the treadmill. I know my progress isn't ruined, but it sure as heck isn't as good as it could be. Get it together.

Illogical? Yes. But that's just how I approach getting fit. I know this is something that won't serve me well in the long run, but I'm having the hardest time applying moderation to my daily routine.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be graciously welcomed.

Replies

• PanPan437
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing! I would love to hear any advice as well.
  • Pamelawagg
    Pamelawagg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wish I had advice for you I have the same struggle ! Bad carbs are my weakness and my husbands junk food cupboard is GameOn when I have carb brain.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes up until a year ago. Its the all or nothing principle - recognize that your thinking is part of the problem and ignore it.
    - A slip is a slip, just get back on the horse.
    - What you actually learnt from those couple of things at that party was that they weren't as wonderful as you thought they were going to be. Sure they tasted good but they were just food. You ate them and then it was over.
    Our own thinking works against us.
  • awesomekaty
    awesomekaty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you Roaringgael, that's a wonderful sentiment and something that I'm slowly coming to realize and recognize.