Keto adapted?

I've been low carbing it for a few weeks now and I was wondering if there were any signs of being keto adapted?

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    You start to feel good, have lots of energy, after going through the keto flu. At least, that is how I know. (I don't use ketostix or blood strips.)
    Have you read the FAQ at the reddit/keto page? It is good!
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

an excerpt:

What will my weight loss progress look like?
    Results vary, but you will typically go through three phases

Honeymoon: Lots of weight comes off fast. This is water that was tied up with glycogen. Note: if you don’t experience rapid weight loss in this period, do not despair. Not everyone is so lucky, and men may be more likely to see rapid initial weight loss than women.
    Keto Adaptation: Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, this is both normal and temporary.
    Fully keto-adapted: After 3-4 weeks the body is burning fat as its main fuel and the brain has switched to running on ketones. A bumpy downward trend in your weight will begin. The trend is "bumpy" because there will be days or weeks when your weight stalls, or even goes up slightly. This happens to everyone, on every kind of weight-loss diet. Please don’t post to /r/keto that you gained a pound or two, or plateaued for a week. The trend will be especially bumpy if you are female. In particular, shark week will play hell with your scale weight.
    If a plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks, you may need to make adjustments to your lifestyle to break it. See the plateau section.
  • Yeah, I read that before but it's still not conclusive in terms of knowing for sure. I probably am at this point adapted because of how strict I've been and I feel fine now. I had a mini stall and attributed to malitol usage but it may be just part of the normal ups/downs.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I didn't get the keto flu, but I did get about 12 hours of weirdly stinky pee. About the same time, my appetite really decreased and I had more energy.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Lo
    camtosh wrote: »
    You start to feel good, have lots of energy, after going through the keto flu. At least, that is how I know. (I don't use ketostix or blood strips.)
    Have you read the FAQ at the reddit/keto page? It is good!
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

an excerpt:

What will my weight loss progress look like?
    Results vary, but you will typically go through three phases

Honeymoon: Lots of weight comes off fast. This is water that was tied up with glycogen. Note: if you don’t experience rapid weight loss in this period, do not despair. Not everyone is so lucky, and men may be more likely to see rapid initial weight loss than women.
    Keto Adaptation: Water and glycogen find a new balance and this causes a stall or even weight gain, which lasts for a week or two. Relax, this is both normal and temporary.
    Fully keto-adapted: After 3-4 weeks the body is burning fat as its main fuel and the brain has switched to running on ketones. A bumpy downward trend in your weight will begin. The trend is "bumpy" because there will be days or weeks when your weight stalls, or even goes up slightly. This happens to everyone, on every kind of weight-loss diet. Please don’t post to /r/keto that you gained a pound or two, or plateaued for a week. The trend will be especially bumpy if you are female. In particular, shark week will play hell with your scale weight.
    If a plateau lasts more than a couple of weeks, you may need to make adjustments to your lifestyle to break it. See the plateau section.

Love this, plain and simple........feeling positive even are a stall/slow loss