The Diet Thread: "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet."

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
In-the-Kitchen.png
you-cant-exercise-your-way-out-of-a-bad-diet-quote-1.jpg
732c6a0a7f644589d771c4b8e03c2e53.jpg

Creating a daily habit of working out is important and requires diligence and accountability--thus this group. But maintaining an effective diet is just as challenging and is paramount to our success.

I guess we've all talked about the challenges of staying on track with diet from time-to-time. As with everything else, we've each had our ups and downs. Sometimes we are doing great and can offer some tips. Other times, we're the ones looking for tips.

It was suggested awhile back to make a thread for exchanging ideas about late-night snacking (since it seems to be the greatest challenge for many of us). So, here's a thread to exchange ideas about STAYING ON TRACK WITH MAKING EATING CHOICES WHICH CONTRIBUTE TO ACHIEVING OUR GOALS.

Hope you find it helpful. <3

Replies

• agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    For me since my eating is emotional trying to get to root of problem and fix it helps best. I have tried all the other things from a bath to reading to more exercise at night. None of them will work if underlying problem is causing you to eat.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    1) Since I know that I cannot go to sleep when hungry. I set aside, at least in my mind, my evening snack and set aside calories for it, about 150, even if it means less dinner.
    2) I keep Altoids next to my bed and I can have 3 to 6 of them (10-20 calories) even if I'm over calories for the day, if I feel that I need to eat something. I also drink water then, too. I can only have them right as I'm turning my light off, so I won't keep eating them. Once I've opened the tin and chosen how many I'm having, that's it for the night.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's helpful when I eat an earlier dinner so that I'm not starving at late-night dinner. I also try to save some cals for post-dinner. My choices are apples or protein shake usually.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I'm having a good eating week and am back to "remembering" what works for me.

I learned that I basically don't enjoy my meals throughout the day, usually due to a child bugging me or stealing my food. Basically, that's why I'd eat at night, even if I wasn't hungry--I just wanted to eat in PEACE (after the kids are in bed). So, using that information, I've found that I can let myself be hungry during the part of the day and save up to eat at night. Strange that I can resist physical symptoms of hunger for part of the day, but can't resist the psychological/emotional urge at night...but it is what it is. So:

(1) If there is a time when I'm guilty of eating whether I'm hungry or not (i.e., after kids are in bed)...save up plenty of my daily calories for that time rather than trying to resist.
    (2) Chewing gum.
    (3) Calorie averaging over the week. This just seems to alleviate pressure and helps me to avoid "stress eating" due to "screwing up my diet". I just say, "It's just one day, the week will still average out okay."

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'll drink a mike's hard lemonade. I'm not much of a drinker, so I can't slam it down. It takes me a good hour at least to slowly sip it down. But it keeps me from binging on snacks, and by the time I finish...it's time for bed. :)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    valmaebel wrote: »
    To be honest, I'll drink a mike's hard lemonade. I'm not much of a drinker, so I can't slam it down. It takes me a good hour at least to slowly sip it down. But it keeps me from binging on snacks, and by the time I finish...it's time for bed. :)
    That's a great one!!!! (Wishing I had that kind of self control with hard cider! Unfortunately I can't sip it, and it leads either to another bottle, or an entire bag of chips. :s But I do slowly sip turmeric milk, I should try that at night when I feel snacky.)

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I've also found that having an "ole faithful" snack to turn to helps. I will never stop loving Greek yogurt, so as long as I have it in the fridge, I don't have to empty the pantry into my belly, "trying to find something I like" (Grrrr).
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I've also found that having an "ole faithful" snack to turn to helps. I will never stop loving Greek yogurt, so as long as I have it in the fridge, I don't have to empty the pantry into my belly, "trying to find something I like" (Grrrr).
    I was thinking the other day that if I had a "go to snack" it would prevent me from bingeing the way I do! Gonna fix me up so healthy snacks to have ready for when the urge hits ;)

• Galonamission81
    Galonamission81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question: do you use your preset MFP a calculations for calories,or do you use the TDEE - 20%?
  • lazydaisy33
    lazydaisy33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Had to give up my job recently. Now I just sit at home all day ...Bored and snacking in front of the TV!!!! I've put on 4 pounds! Need to get back into shape! Need some motivation! Logging into MFP is my first big step!