Day 5 Discussion - Tips for Staying on Track

Options
Some of us have had a challenging first few days as we adjust to this Challenge. What has helped you stay on track, stay focused?
For me, I focus on my mentors and say to myself, if they can do it, I can do it!
What about you?

Replies

• jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I actually just zone out and go into auto pilot. If I wake up and start thinking about bagging the workout, I blank out my mind. Then, I just stop thinking and get my workout clothes on. Before I realize it, I'm exercising. . . . Kind of strange, I know.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I have my goals and milestones written and visible and I see them often. I also look at people's transformation pictures and read their stories. I'm a visual person and these types of things keep me motivated.
  • Starrey100
    Options
    Telling a colleague about the challenge so I am accountable to someone. It helps to know someone might ask me how I'm getting on.
  • swyman1
    swyman1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Starrey100 wrote: »
    Telling a colleague about the challenge so I am accountable to someone. It helps to know someone might ask me how I'm getting on.

Accountability and support. That's why we have this group :smile:
  • swyman1
    Options
    I have my goals and milestones written and visible and I see them often. I also look at people's transformation pictures and read their stories. I'm a visual person and these types of things keep me motivated.

There is great power in putting our goals in writing. I posted the picture of myself with Tosca Reno because she started her fitness journey later in life. She is an inspiration.
  • swyman1
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    I actually just zone out and go into auto pilot. If I wake up and start thinking about bagging the workout, I blank out my mind. Then, I just stop thinking and get my workout clothes on. Before I realize it, I'm exercising. . . . Kind of strange, I know.

I use mantra's. I find a phrase that inspires me and I say it over and over to myself when I need that extra focus.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I really have no tips to share, I am holding on. Today is my birthday and well was not happy with the scale, even though I did have a no scale victory. Getting compliments from my Dr saying I look good, a pair of capris that were tight on me fit. I made the decision no take out tonight we can BBq a nice dinner and if I treat my self to a small piece of cake so be it. I guess I keep thinking in my head, you come so far why sabotage it again. Because that is what I have done over an over again. I just wish I can get beyond this one milestone. I think I would be way more motivated. May that is it I a frustrated and determined and it is a good think I did succeed cause maybe I would just binge tonight on my bday and than be upset the next day.
  • swyman1
    Options
    jocop2003 wrote: »
    I really have no tips to share, I am holding on. Today is my birthday and well was not happy with the scale, even though I did have a no scale victory. Getting compliments from my Dr saying I look good, a pair of capris that were tight on me fit. I made the decision no take out tonight we can BBq a nice dinner and if I treat my self to a small piece of cake so be it. I guess I keep thinking in my head, you come so far why sabotage it again. Because that is what I have done over an over again. I just wish I can get beyond this one milestone. I think I would be way more motivated. May that is it I a frustrated and determined and it is a good think I did succeed cause maybe I would just binge tonight on my bday and than be upset the next day.

Please don't be hard on yourself. Focus on the positive. You are here now and you are not alone. We all share this challenge together. Birthday's are a wonderful time to celebrate new beginnings. Happy birthday!
  • GoldenOctober
    GoldenOctober Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'd like for this autopilot thing to happen to me. Seems easiest ... :wink:

I guess I'm still motivated because I sort of made MFP my hobby, the logging, reading the message boards, the blogs ... Now I feel as if I'm part of a big community, so if I don't stay on track, I am excluding myself from a big party. :smiley:
    As far as a tip from me ... do that?! Make MFP your hobby and you'll find you're not alone in this ...? Yeah, probably that one. :smile:
  • jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That's really true. Even though I don't track food or exercise, I check the groups and discussions daily - email, Facebook, and mfp!
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I don't do this myself because I get a hard time about my calorie goals, but... some people make themselves accountable by making their diaries viewable to friends. I look at my friend's food diaries if they're open. And even if your diary is not viewable, if you add friends they will still see whether or not you make your daily calorie goals. That is an extra motivation for me. I enjoy getting 'likes' when I'm under my limit.