Cheating

Options
jmarton1977
jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
I have been doing induction for four 1/2 weeks now.... and I haven't cheated...yet. Although I'm considering having a glass of wine at a snazzy dinner I am going to tomorrow. I'm interested to hear anyone's experience about falling off the wagon, and what you consider "cheating". Is it eating anything that isn't on the list? Is it going carb crazy for one day? What does it take and how long does it derail you.

My motives are twofold - one to get an understanding of what will knock me out of ketosis (although I know everyone is different) and to hear horror stories so I don't cheat ;)

Replies

• vaporhero3
    Options
    I consider cheating anytime I eat something that I know I shouldn't. It's usually eating a bun with my burger when I know I should take it off or having some chips when they're offered to me and not standing my ground. After doing Atkins for 5 months I have found that I can safely "cheat" every couple days amd still lose weight. Granted, if you must indulge every couple days, keep it moderate and you cant indulge all day long. Just one item one time. I havent had any trouble by doing this. I find that I must indulge every few day so I can feel "normal." If you feel guilty about it, youve gone too far.
  • vaporhero3
    Options
    As far as a horror story, stay away from sugar! I ate a ice cream snowcone back in summer, got knocked out of keto for 5 days. Also, I cheated for two days in a row on my anniversary and gained 8lbs!
  • vaporhero3
    Options
    Edit: Im actually considering a more structured plan that involves not ingulging as often. Though my earlier post made cheating every few days seem acceptable, it honestly isnt the best idea as my weight loss has in fact slowed down some from when I had a more structured approach.
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did in fact, cheat, last Friday. I had a glass of wine, and had some "fancy" jalapeno poppers - soft cheese and breadcrumbs aren't on the menu - and I saw a drop in my ketosis the next day, but was able to bounce back quickly. Also - that was the best glass of wine, since I had not had one in six weeks. There's definitely something to be said for delayed gratification.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I try not to cheat at all. I haven't all week. The hardest time for me is during the weekends. My fiancé usually wants to go out to dinner or lunch and I find it sooo hard to resist. Plus I live in Daytona and it's Biktoberfest this weekend and we are going out tomorrow night.....let's see if I can NOT cheat!!