Tiny people (under 5'3")

Options
rheelizabeth
rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
How do you increase your pace?

I just finished week 5 day 2 and when doing the 8 minute run I wanted to see if I could actually do it in 3/4 mile, I didn't, I only managed 0.6 of a mile, is it possible for people with short legs to actually do it? I'm 4'11" and still have a BMI of over 35 btw.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about increasing your speed just yet. Focus on finishing the program. Speed will come naturally as you put on more miles, at first. Then after you have finished C25K, you can look into speed programs to get your 5K pace up to where you want it. However, if you want to start small speed increases while still focusing on finishing, you can do your C25K on a hilly area, that will naturally make you faster on flats.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about increasing your speed just yet. Focus on finishing the program. Speed will come naturally as you put on more miles, at first. Then after you have finished C25K, you can look into speed programs to get your 5K pace up to where you want it. However, if you want to start small speed increases while still focusing on finishing, you can do your C25K on a hilly area, that will naturally make you faster on flats.

Thanks for the info! - however, I already do my run on hilly paths... I wonder if that's why I'm slow?! Oooh thank you :)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 2 and hilly terrain definitely slows me down. I have a very short legged build like my grandma, which is one reason I've always hated running. I'm finding that my speed is picking up naturally as I progress (I'm on week 4 right now). I don't delude myself that I'll ever win a race, so for me it's all about getting better and eventually finishing some 5Ks. For now, just let things proceed naturally and worry about speed later.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a shorty too. I think while a taller person obviously has a longer stride, a short person can quicken her pace to take twice as many strides to keep up with the taller person. I think there is no reason why you (and I) cannot run faster even with our lack of length.