What's going on?

MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
Hi everybody. I'm struggling a bit here and would really appreciate some thoughts about what's happening. The background is that I've been following a ketogenic diet for 24 days now, mainly for health reasons - I'm pretty lean but I'm trying to maintain my current weight. I've been strict with myself, and have had no lapses. I'm using ketostix, although I know their limitations, and I'm quite often dark pink or even purple at times. The only noticeable 'symptoms' of keto-flu I've had are muscle weakness (ongoing) and night-time muscle cramps which I'm trying to minimise with electrolytes. I don't think I'm keto-adapted yet, as I have had no noticeable increase in energy or mental clarity.

The first thing I don't understand is that by mid-morning I'm teetering on the brink of the beige section of the ketostix strip, and once or twice I think I've actually come out of ketosis (as far as the ketostix can be trusted). I don't think this can be the result of breakfast, which is normally 2 eggs, whole fat yoghurt with a tablespoon of flaxseed and a bulletproof coffee with loads of butter and coconut oil. So is it some bodily process that is happening during the night, but doesn't show up until later?

The other thing is that I'm suffering from intense hunger; much more so than on my previous calorie-restricted, mediterranean-style diet (vegetarian). We are talking deep, gnawing hunger, that cannot be ignored - not the peckish variety, or the lack of water kind of hunger. As a result, after maintaining on around 1800 calories daily, I'm now consuming between 2500 and 3000 calories each day! I'm keeping the balance of fat high - normally above 70% of intake, with moderate protein and very low carbs (basically a few leafy green veg and a small number of berries, plus the yoghurt). I'm worried about gaining weight, but so far have only put on one pound. I thought we were supposed to be more satiated on a ketogenic diet?!

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts on this all. If it is relevant, I'm a 56-year-old woman, 5' 2", 115 pounds (small frame).

Replies

• Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    I would think cutting the yogurt out completely or maybe only once a day would really help.

Everyone is different, but I don't think you are eating low enough carb wise. I have best results when staying below 25 carbs a day. 50-60 carbs a day is too high for me to reach ketosis. Good luck! Once you figure it out, it is amazing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    I would think cutting the yogurt out completely or maybe only once a day would really help.

Everyone is different, but I don't think you are eating low enough carb wise. I have best results when staying below 25 carbs a day. 50-60 carbs a day is too high for me to reach ketosis. Good luck! Once you figure it out, it is amazing.

Agree.
  • MissMaggie3
    Thank you both. Lower carb, here I come!
  • I stick to 20 gms as well -- no yogurt, no berries. I find a bit of exercise helps me focus better and sometimes helps with hunger but make sure you are drinking loads of water.
  • I agree with the others. You might be just having too many carbs. Everyone is different, but I have to stay <50 or I start to crave.
    But then you have to listen to your body as well. Maybe you will have to up you calories.
    And don't forget about water! Your body might be thristy and you think its hunger. If I don't drink >100 ounces of water a day I suffer from leg cramps and headaches.
    And are you taking a multi vitamin daily? I have the same cramps and some cravings if I don't take mine. ]

• MissMaggie3
    Thanks, @Wonderfullymadebyhim - I do exercise quite a bit (6 days a week, anyway), but I must remember to drink more water. And thanks too @JerryHowell88 - I do take a combination of vitamins and minerals, but I noticed that I've missed my electrolytes lately, so reinstating those at a higher dose.

And @Niccidawn092 / @baconslave - I've cut right, right down on the yoghurt, which is no mean achievement as I love it so! When the tubs are gone from the fridge, I'll cut it out completely. Or thereabouts!
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    The intense hunger is very surprising. One of the reasons people find so much success on Keto is because fat is a natural appetite suppressant.

I also experience this, but only on my period. I would say to keep Carbs at 20g (as the others said) but also keep in mind some sort of nutritional deficiency that may cause those intense cravings. Low potassium maybe?

I can understand 3,000 calories a day if you are a bodybuilder, or extremely active, but otherwise that seems like a lot and almost seems like an indicator that something is wrong. Keto is not for everyone, we are all different with different bodies. You sound quite small, and at 115 pounds probably don't have much/any weight to lose. Are you trying to gain?

Or are your goals more health focused?

Good Luck! I would say maybe only use the Ketostix once a day at the same time every day and not to worry about the rest, as your hormones might influence things to an extent.
  • MissMaggie3
    Thanks, @eatingfatbeingfat. The hunger surprised me too! However, I'm on day 3 of lower carbs (aiming for about 20g), and so far, I'm free from any major hunger pangs. So maybe that was it - I was simply eating too many carbs perhaps? I'm taking potassium (and magnesium) supplements, so I should be OK there, and I do lift weights, but am by no means a bodybuilder! My goals are indeed health-focused (I'm mainly interested in the neuro-protective aspects of ketosis), but I don't want to gain weight - happy to stay the size I am now.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Are you also getting enough sodium for your body? Ketosis is so diuretic that you will lose potassium and magnesium, but sodium takes a big hit, and can cause muscle weakness like you described. Maybe make some broth with sea salt and drink it up and see if it improves.

And yeah, looks like too many carbs may have been causing you to be hungry. Carb levels for ketosis seem very individual. One other thing to consider is that some of us do better on a little bit more protein and a little less fat as far as satiation goes.

I'm one of them. For the last 18 weeks, I've averaged 68% fats/23% protein/9% total carbs. My aim was 65%/25%/10%, so fairly close. I've lost 29.4 lbs in those 18 weeks. When I tried upping my fat cals and lowering my proteins, I noticed that I got really hungry. So, I think protein plays a bigger role for me in some way.

I find the ketostix change often, and when I use them, I only test first morning urine. I've read that all sorts of things may affect that like exercise. What I read indicated that since the stix are only reading one byproduct of ketosis (acetoacetic acid), and that because our bodies are using ketones for energy once any carbs are gone (which is usually pretty rapidly), that the levels of acetoacetic acid will drop in the urine because the ketones were used up for energy. It seems to make sense, though I have no proof that it's actually fact. Maybe someone has a link.
    Either way, stix are usually considered inaccurate around these boards, and I agree. Much better signs of ketosis are strong urine odor like acetone nail polish remover, bad breath, metallic taste in mouth, urinating a LOT, etc.