Vegemite.

Options
So Vegemite is now 25% less salt (saw it in the supermarket today) woo!
Since this group is Aussies do you guys actually love it too? And have it in any ways other than just on toast? :blush:

Replies

• retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    On toast, and in sandwiches with a variety of fillings. Cheese and vegemite is always a winner. Another of my faves is salami and vegemite. When I was a kid I used to love iceberg lettuce and vegemite on a sandwich, with nothing else.
  • Sjmsr
    Sjmsr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I cannot get enough of vegemite!! Cant say ive seen the reduced salt variety yet, but ill keep an eye out for it!!
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Vegemite on toast, fresh bread, Saos or rice cakes. I can't eat it without some butter or margarine though.
    I have a recipe to make a 'lighter' version of those cheese and Vegemite scrolls that Baker's Delight sells, but they are never quite as nice as the store bought ones!
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a recipe to make a 'lighter' version of those cheese and Vegemite scrolls that Baker's Delight sells, but they are never quite as nice as the store bought ones!

I make those in a slow cooker - and they turn out just as good as the Bakers Delight ones. The secret is to make sure you spread the Vegemite nice and thick, and don't skimp on the cheese either.

The recipe is dead easy -

2 cups self raising flour
    1 cup plain greek yoghurt

Mix and knead until the dough is even and not lumpy, then roll it out in a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Spread Vegemite on top, sprinkle with grated cheese. Roll it up into one long log, then slice the log into equal sized segments.

Put a layer of baking paper in the bottom of the slow cooker, arrange the scrolls on the paper, flat side down. Put a tea towel under the lid of the cooker to catch condensation. 90 minutes on high, or maybe a little longer depending on your cooker - I take a look at 90 minutes and usually end up giving them another 10-20 minutes.

The cheese and Vegemite ones are on the left, the ones on the right are apple and cinnamon

IMG_20140823_133718_zps949886e3.jpg

• 13rialb
    13rialb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Vegemite is amazing! If you haven't already, try it with avocado on a Ryvita or toast - Delish!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I got busted eating it out of the jar this morning. With my finger. At my desk.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    13rialb wrote: »
    Vegemite is amazing! If you haven't already, try it with avocado on a Ryvita or toast - Delish!!
    I add tomato and cheese to that combination and it's delicious.

• Kimmiebatchy
    Kimmiebatchy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been know to smear it in a lamb roast before cooking it... Don't knock it till you try it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use it in all sorts of things, like in place of beef stock in bolognaise and in stews and soups.
  • ozzy_q
    ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been know to smear it in a lamb roast before cooking it... Don't knock it till you try it!

This is amazingly delicious
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Vegemite, cheese, and potato chip sandwiches.
  • yxlr8
    yxlr8 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vegemite on toast with avocado and tomato...yum! Well our household has now gone to Dick Smiths Ozemite to support the Aussies.
  • L257
    L257 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep, love it on toast or in a cheese&vegemite sandwich. When I was younger I used to put it in my cheese and salad rolls in place of salt&pepper
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I got busted eating it out of the jar this morning. With my finger. At my desk.

Yup, been there, caught at that.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On a sandwich with lettuce is yummy.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Or with alfalfa sprouts n cheese.
  • vicpoole188
    Options
    I am addicted to Vegemite. Its my go-to food - when I can't think of what to eat.
    On toast, on crackers, salad sandwiches, in cooking, to drink.
    The Americans don't understand it because they spread it on too thick and also you (I) need some butter on the toast.