Need some guidance please

Options
aubyshortcake
aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
Good morning all! I've been a group member for a while, but this is my first post in here. I could really use your help, and I will try and make this as brief and to the point as possible.

Last year I lost between 15 and 18 lbs using MFP counting calories only. I lost it very quickly, and with little to no exercise. I am 5' 3", and I went down to 102 lbs, but now I'm back around 111 lbs. I do have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with food as I tend to binge from time to time.

This year I know a lot better than to just drastically cut calories, sit on my bum and not care about other macros. My plan was to cut back down so I would be comfortable trying my first bulk this winter. While my weight is light, I have more fat than I'm comfortable with, so the idea of bulking without getting leaner first is scary. I got so stuck on this deadline that I tried to cut my calories to 1270 a day, even though I do Strong Curves three days a week (currently in week 8 of the beginner program). I succeeded at staying close to that (weekly average was 1300something) last week, and then this week got a little out of control with the calories (not to mention I did not feel well or have any energy all week). My goal protein intake is 80g a day MINIMUM and I have NOT done a very good job at sticking to that.

Based on several online calculators, my TDEE is estimated to be around 1650-1800. My ultimate goal is to look much leaner, have at least a little ab definition - or even better - have abs like Sara :smile: (I struggle with holding weight there), and grow the booty. I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action for myself. I am very impulsive, and constantly switching up what I'm doing which gets me nowhere. I would like to determine a course of action and really stick with it. I'm debating between doing a less aggressive cut (maybe at 1500 cals?) and then just putting off bulking until I reach the size I'm more comfortable bulking at, eating at maintenance for a while, or just bulking anyway even if I'm not as lean as I want to be.

I just don't want to continue on this path of being sort of skinny-fat and rather jiggly and slowly gaining again, never reaching the body composition I would like. If you have any input as to what would be the best course of action, I would greatly appreciate some direction. I can't trust myself enough to stick with anything I come up with, as I don't entirely know what I'm doing.

Current stats:
Female
5' 3"
111 lbs
Waist: 25.5 in (when I'm not bloated)
Hips: 36.5 in
Belly button: 30.5 in
**Those are currently the only measurements I've been tracking.

I do Strong Curves 3 days per week, roughly about 70 minutes including warming up, resting between sets and stretching after. Other than that I work a desk job, occasionally go on a 10 minute walk at lunch, and otherwise I'm a total couch potato.

The first 3 photos are last year at 103 lbs (hello kitty pjs) which is where I was wanting to be again before trying to bulk. The last 3 are the other day at 111 lbs. PLEASE excuse the toothpaste explosion in the one pic, apparently my bf and I can be quite messy and I was clearly too lazy to clean it off before taking the pic, sorry! :blush:

I apologize that was so long, and thank you so much in advance.

****P.S. I would like you to see the images for reference but if it's possible to remove them afterwards (or let me know how I can), thanks!

ETA:

Things you should try to provide for specific intake questions:

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)

see above

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?

All over the place, no rhyme or reason - I really need to get this in check once I figure out the best intake. This week will most likely average around 2200, last week averaged 1374, week before was 2178.

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)

Again, all over the place. This week (including today which I've only had breakfast so far) averages about p: 74.4, f: 100.7, c: 215.9, last week averages p: 79.9, f: 57, c: 148.7, week before averages p: 80.4, f:104.7, c: 257.

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?

Yes, unless I'm eating out or at a friend's house, then I do my best to estimate.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)

Yes.

Do you take cheat days or days off?

I do not take days off from logging (with the exception of a one week vacation at the end of July). I take unintentional cheat days where I go over or end up binge eating.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?

My highest weight was in 2008 at 149 lbs. I lost about 30 lbs over 6 months at that time, then when up and down for years around 118 - 125 until I joined MFP last year (May, 2013) at 119 and went down to 102 in October, 2013. It slowly crept up over this year, when I left for vacation at the end of July I was 108, came back at 110 a week later, and it's been around 111, slightly above, and slightly below, since then.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?

Desk job, sit on my butt at home, started Strong Curves 3 days a week 8 weeks ago.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.

I don't think I can really call it a stall since I know my eating is not controlled in any sort of way. I just need to figure out what the best intake for my goals is.

Are you breastfeeding?

No.

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?

No.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Oh snap, I can't tag threads anymore with the new MFP system. Therefore my "tagging" reply was useless. Will check this out soon.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So I have a few questions regarding this.
    • How is your program coming along as far as getting stronger? Are you adding weight to your lifts over time?
    • Can you think of reasons why your intake values are rather random/all over the place?
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for responding. :smile:

- The program is progressing well, I have been increasing weights over time.
    - I try to stay in a deficit and then get in these "eff it" moods and end up over eating. For example, this past week I was in a deficit in the beginning, then as the week went on it went the other direction (started with going out to dinner, then a birthday party on Friday, then the weekend I just lost my willpower). I definitely need to get that under control!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your post indicates you are impulsive in only a few things. You are very consistent, not impulsive with Strong Curves three times per week. You go to work every day. You conscientiously and accurately track your intake every day and go to the extra trouble of weighing the food.

In these, you are not impulsive at all.

The next habit to establish is to make better food choices and manage the quantity. It is less a matter of will power than slowly developing behaviors and setting up your environment to help, not hinder.

You know the various drills for eating right - keep all junk out of the house, load up on water to feel full, and so on.

Social pressures strongly influence most people. We are expected to gorge in these situations, which I now consider weird. That might be another place to start.

Some tactics:
    Before going to a restaurant, plan ahead to take half the meal home.
    Before going to a party or get-together, plan a short script that will not insult the hostess but gets you off the hook. This is mine:"Thank you, this is enough. It is really good and I would like to have more but I am working hard to manage my weight."

You have proved you can develop good habits. Grow the habit of eating good stuff at home and you have this nailed for life.

• SideSteel
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for responding. :smile:

- The program is progressing well, I have been increasing weights over time.
    - I try to stay in a deficit and then get in these "eff it" moods and end up over eating. For example, this past week I was in a deficit in the beginning, then as the week went on it went the other direction (started with going out to dinner, then a birthday party on Friday, then the weekend I just lost my willpower). I definitely need to get that under control!

So why do you think this is happening?
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Thanks ukaryote!

SideSteel, I've struggled to answer that in the past, but I'm going to do my best. I associate food with pleasure and a good time, not just energy. When I over eat, it's usually either for comfort, out of boredom, or because I just really really want the taste in my mouth and the full feeling in my stomach. When I eat something I really like, it feels like I'm getting "food high" (lol sorry if that sounds dumb but I'm not sure how else to describe it) and when it's gone I want the feeling again.

I am prescribed Concerta for my ADD 5 days a week (M-F for work), but I don't take it on the weekends. When I take it, I don't get so food obsessed and I feel satisfied from eating, but on days I don't have it I struggle much more and just want the constant taste and feeling of food. I do think stress tends to play a factor in this as well.

I'm not sure how well I answered you question, I hope that at least somewhat helped. :smile:
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Are you required not to take it on the weekends or are you choosing not to take it on the weekends?
    How much control do you have over your food environment?
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    I'm currently only prescribed enough for weekdays, although I'm considering seeing if maybe that can be changed, for this reason and others (helps me get things done - chores, etc.)

In terms of getting everything I need food-wise I have complete control, I do all the grocery shopping. I do however live with my boyfriend and his brother and they sometimes bring home and share goodies, sometimes I do just fine turning them down if having some will put me over my calories, other times I get this feeling of "well if I don't eat it now, then it will be gone!" which I think is a little ridiculous. :blush:
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Hello again, I just wanted to give a quick update.

I went back into my log for the past 10 weeks and used my data to calculate my TDEE, since my random intake and weight fluctuations left me really confused. Assuming I did it correctly, based on calorie and weight averages, it came out to around 1800 (1821 - but I'm not taking that as exact).

Over eating issues aside, assuming I actually stay within my calories on a consistent basis, I'm thinking my initial guess of staying around 1500 calories might be a reasonable goal (cut out slightly more than 250 calories to allow for error). I have never tried to lose on that high of an amount, and I'm wondering if that may be part of the issue with my adherence. After doing that for a couple months then maybe reevaluate my goals.

I guess I'm kind of thinking out loud (or whatever the typing in an online forum equivalent is) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: forgive me if I'm a bit of a rambler, just curious if you have any thoughts about that course of action. Thank you again for all your time!