Author: @lisaze30

August 31, 2014 2:06 PM

Chow Mein
    • Tesco - Vegetable & Beansprout Stir Fry, 25 g
    • Aldi - Asia Specialities - Medium Egg Noodles, 1/6 pack
    • Blue Dragon - Stir Fry Chow Mein Sauce, 30 g
    • Birds Eye - Field Fresh Frozen Veg. - Country Mix, 80 g
    Total : 218 calories

Add the noodles to boiling water and cook for 8 minutes (packet says 4 ... that's a lie)
    I use a dry frying pan and added the frozen veg first to thaw them and start cooking them slightly, when almost ready I added the beansprouts, cook them for 3 minutes then added the sauce.
    Finally add the noodles and mix.

Usually I would add more of the veg and beansprout stir fry mixture as they are lower in calories and leave out the Field Fresh Veg .... but I had run out!

I have added quarter a cup of chopped chicken breast for 58 calories and added 50g of the beansprout and veg mixture for 19 calories bringing the dish to 249 calories.
    tgzuhkgpt04t.jpg
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Original Thread: Enjoy Yourself While Fasting: Recipes and Suggestions
    Author: @orlcam

September 8, 2014 4:05 PM

Chili (with lots of meat!):
    Yield about 8 lbs at 3,180 calories, or 12 ~10 oz servings at 265 calories each.

Oh man was this good...yeah I know, chili is one of those things where everybody makes it "their" way, but this recipe is really just another example of a great fast day food that leaves you feelin' satisfied. At just under 400 calories for a full pound of this meaty goodness it's a great dish to make by the gallon. Cook it on the weekend and it should last you for days...if you can keep others from eating it all. It also freezes well.

I wanted to put this up a week ago, but got busy...hopefully I'll be able to post at least one recipe a week.

I didn't do it this time, but if you want to reduce the calories even more you can wash the meats with hot water after cooking and draining.

Ingredients:
    • - 1 lb, Ground Beef Chuck(80/20) cooked/drained (828 cal)
    • - 1 lb, Ground Turkey (93/7) cooked/drained (480)
    • - 1 lb, Boneless Pork Loin, trimmed, diced, cooked/drained (640)
    • - 1 large, Onion - diced (63)
    • - 2 tbsp, Minced Garlic (30)
    • - 2 cups, Swanson - Chicken Broth - 99% Fat Free (10)
    • - 1 28 oz can, Contadina San Marzano Style Crushed With Tomato Puree (195)
    • - 1 10 oz can, Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (63)
    • - 1 15.5 oz can, Black Beans (350)
    • - 1 15.5 oz can, Red Kidney Beans (350)
    • - 1/4 cup, Spices - Dark Chili powder (94)
    • - 1 tbsp, Spices - Paprika (20)
    • - 1 tsp, Ancho Chili Powder (0)
    • - 1 tbsp, Tabasco Hot Sauce (3)
    • - 2 tbsp, Black Peppercorn (coarsely Ground) (30)
    • - 1 tbsp, Ground Cumin (22)
    • - 1 tbsp, Salt - Coarse Kosher (0) to taste
    • - 1/2 tbsp, Hickory Liquid Smoke (0)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Spices - Oregano, dried (2)
    • - 1/2 tsp, Spices - Basil, dried (1)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Spices - ground Celery Seed, dried (0)
    • - 1/4 tsp, Spices - Allspice, ground (1)

Directions: Trim (of fat) 1 lb of boneless pork loin and dice into ~1" chunks (or use a food processor). Thoroughly cook the pork, beef, and turkey in a large pot, drain well. While draining your meats use the now empty pot to start caramelizing the onion (about 5 minutes). Put drained meats back into the pot and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for at least 1 hour.

Options: Serve with cheese, sour cream, guacamole/avocado, noodles, but it's plenty tasty without them...just remember to add the calories. I like my chili spicy, I usually add more heat than what I have listed above; plus I use the "hot" Rotel. I also use twice the cumin shown...I love the flavor. Also if you've been checking out my recipes you've probably realized that I'm a big fan of black pepper. I buy peppercorns and freshly grind them in a coffee grinder. I do this with other spices as well (like rosemary, bay leaf, etc.) when I want them finely ground in a recipe.

Just another note, you should take a look at the calorie count of your canned tomato products, they defiantly are not always equal...Contadina is less in calories on many of their products, sometimes significantly.

Enjoy

Bad pic...with cheese, jalapenos, cheese and a toasted corn tortilla.
    13vsp352jhbf.png
  • orlcam
    Options

September 22, 2014 6:26 PM

Gumbo (Chicken, Shrimp, & Turkey Sausage)
    Makes about 7.25 lbs at 2,991 calories or 7 1+ lb servings at 427 cal each

Gumbo is like chili, there are so many variations and ingredients. Without adding rice it is already a pretty low calorie dish, but with a few more tweaks we can get it down even further. I reduced the amount of oil in this recipe meaning I used very little roux, but I made it very dark (like mahogany/coffee) so the strong flavor would still come through. Gumbos should have a dark roux anyway, but I went even darker than usual (roughly an extra 5 minutes). Because we are making so little roux it is best to make double (or quadruple) what you need and just save the rest for another recipe. Trying to make just a 1/2 cup of very dark roux will most likely lead to burning. Needless to say...if you burn it then you have to toss it and start again. The gumbo still came out nice and thick, even before adding the okra. If you are new to making roux then just google "roux recipe", there are plenty of sites out there. Note: when I cook a dark roux I use peanut oil because it is less likely to burn/smoke, for a lighter roux I usually use butter.

I went for canned/frozen on most ingredients as they should be readily available to everyone. The taste was still great, but feel free to go with fresh ingredients if you can get them.

Ingredients:
    • - 1/4 cup, Oil - Peanut (477 calories)
    • - 1 lb, Tyson Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh Strips, 1" cubed (560)
    • - 14 oz pack, Hillshire Farm Smoked Turkey Sausage sliced (630)
    • - 1/4 cup, All-Purpose Flour (100)
    • - 2 stalks, Celery Diced (1)
    • - 15 oz container, Guidry's Fresh Cuts Creole Seasoning (*see below) (175)
    • - 1 tbsp, Minced Garlic - Raw (13)
    • - 3 cups, Swanson - Chicken Broth - 99% Fat Free (14)
    • - 2 tbsp, Worcestershire Sauce (30)
    • - 1/2 tbsp(s), Kosher Salt (0) or to taste
    • - 1 tbsp, Spices - Course Ground Black Pepper (16) or to taste
    • - 1/2 tsp, Spices - Pepper, red or cayenne (3) or to taste
    • - 1/2 tsp, Zatarain's Concentrated Liquid Crab Boil (0) or to taste
    • - 1 tsp, Spices - Basil, dried (3)
    • - 1 28 oz can, Contadina Roma Style Tomatoes Crushed (260)
    • - 2 tbsp, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light (90)
    • - 1 lb, Frozen Shrimp, peeled & deveined (480)
    • - 2 15 oz cans, Margaret Holmes Cut Okra (140)

*Guidry's Creole Seasoning: This is just a fresh mix of vegetables that comes pre-cut and is available in my area. It is mostly yellow onion with celery, parsley, bell pepper, green onion, and garlic added in. Saves time and mess, but you can make your own or use whatever vegetable mix you see fit.

Directions: Use about 2 tsp of the peanut oil and heat in a large pot, when ready add your cubed chicken thigh and sliced sausage. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and brown (chicken can still be a little pink). Remove from pot and set aside. Either make a roux with a separate small pot (1/4 cup each of oil and flour) or use the large pot (for a larger batch of roux). Just remember to use only 1/2 cup of the roux when it is finished...it should be a dark, rich brown (do not burn). Once the roux is done add the Creole Onion Mix and the extra celery. Once the onion starts to clear (becomes translucent) add the extra garlic and continue to cook for about 2 minutes longer. Add the broth and worcestershire and mix well while bringing to a slow boil...the mixture should start to thicken. Add salt, peppers, crab boil (or other seafood seasoning), basil, tomatoes and butter substitute. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, add chicken and sausage and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and okra (drained & rinsed) then simmer for another 30 minutes. Serve as is or over rice (don't forget to add the calories for the rice).

Options: You can lower the calories by using chicken breast instead of thighs, but I like thigh meat better in stews because it tends not to dry out as much. Also going with all seafood can bring the count down too; crab, shrimp, scallops, even a white fish added towards the end are all good choices. If you can't find the Zatarain's crab boil (very hot/spicy) just use another seafood seasoning like Old Bay. I also use double the garlic...hmmm.

This is one of those dishes that's great to make on the weekend. Do a big pot and eat it throughout the week.

Enjoy.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Author: @bunnylion

September 23, 2014 1:12 AM

Does anybody have ideas for fast day fast foods?
    I do a lot of veggie soups from health food stores or I just eat some cottage cheese with veggies. I would love some more choices that only take a couple of minutes to prepare and are super low in calories.
    I have been really really busy and need some more fast day options to grab and go...
    Author: @melaniecheeks
    September 23, 2014 2:07 AM

Here's what I had last night, took about 15 minutes.

1 fillet of sea bass. I placed it on baking paper and added 3 thick slices of lime, a chopped green onion, and a cube of frozen ginger. Placed in one basket of a steamer.

In a second steamer basket I filled it with shredded cabbage and pak choi.

Steamed everything for 15 mins - it was a huge plate of food and absolutely delicions.

The fish is about 120-150 cals, the cabbagey veg around 30.

My best "grab and go" fast day meal is a bowl of side salad from tesco (30 cals) and tub of grapefruit segments in their own juice (60 cals). Mix all together. Some seafood is a good addition to this - a few prawns, or some chunks of crab-sticks.
    Author: @angelamb1970
    September 23, 2014 10:41 AM

Had this last night, super fast, super easy:
    • 100g small shrimp (thawed)
    • 1T cocktail sauce (homemade with lots of horseradish)
    • 1 pkg shredded lettuce (about 2 cups)
    • lots of lemon juice
    Mix it all up in a bowl and it comes in less than 150 calories depending on the cocktail sauce
    September 23, 2014 11:59 AM

The 5:2 website has started to consolidate some of the recipes found in their threads:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/food/recipes/

I just did a skim of the titles, appears to be some quick ones in there.
    Author: @jknight001
    October 1, 2014 12:08 PM

@bunnylion - Here are my quick things:
    • 1.5 Tbs peanut butter on toast (~220 cals)
    • Greek Yogurt with Fruit (~120 cals)
    • Canned chicken (2oz 60 cals)
    • Almond Breeze - Vanilla Unsweetened, 0.5 cup with 1.75 oz rolled oats (~200 cals)
    • And most fruits and veggies are low cal and easy to grab and go.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Author: @Foamroller

September 29, 2014 4:34 AM

I put in a recipe into the database called "5:2 hearty pork stew". It's a good option for weekend making and heat up when wanted. It's only 180 kcal per 5 dl serving (about 2 cups) if you trim off all the fat.

If you can find it by searching for 5:2 and see the preparation in food diary, let me know please. If not, I will post the whole recipe here.

Pros: Very budget friendly 12 servings, tasty and low in kcal.
    Cons: High in sodium, takes long to prepare
    October 5, 2014 10:29 AM

Ok, I found out that when you submit entry to the recipe database...it only puts it into the database WITHOUT recipe. So here it is.

5:2 FAST DAY FRIENDLY
    HOMEMADE HEARTY PORK STEW

Total food: 5 liter
    Kcal/serving: 219 5 dl/ ca 2.5 cups

cps5ic5bbtus.jpg

Homemade stew/soup is hearty and very filling. This recipe is very 5:2 fast day-friendly at only 219 kcal per serving/5 dl. It does take a while to make, but active preparation is probably around 1,5 hours. In return you get 5-6 liters of soup that can be frozen, or portioned into lunch/dinner options to heat whenever you need it. It's also a very budget-friendly recipe compared to all the servings.

Tips:
    - You can easily adjust this recipe to include other vegetables like carrots and beets or take out the ones that don’t fit your taste.

- This is a very thick soup. If you want a thinner soup or more servings for the work, just add more water/stock cubes/broth when preparing or later when serving.

- If you don't have time to cook the meat and broth yourself, I think you can use the product called "Pulled pork" too and just add water/stock cubes. Fresh vegs are best to use though.

1. Cooking meat. 3 hours
    - Divide carrot and onion into two. Put the knuckle (pork thigh) into a big casserole minimum 6 liters. Add bay leaves, thyme and sage. Pour enough water to cover the meat if possible. Boil up, then reduce heat to low for 3 hours. This is perfect for slowcooking or you can put it on in the morning, so the meat is done by noon.

- Take out the meat. Use a big bowl and a strainer on top. For best straining, I use clothing pins and a clean gas cloth on top of strainer. Pour the 2 liters of broth to strain. Discard the vegetables.
    Note: The swanson pork bone broth in the image above was only to get an idea of how much kcal was in the broth. You use the broth and extra water/stock cubes.
    You can also precook the meat the day before and keep in the broth overnight in fridge.

- Divide the meat so it cools faster. Clean off the bone, the meat should be pink and fall off the bone easily. Trim off dark skin, connective tissue, and ALL fat, use only the lean meat. If you want more taste from fat, you can put some into a tea strainer, for easy removal later.

- Dice or shred or leave big chunks of meat as you wish. One medium sized knuckle yields about 450 g meat.

2. Prepare vegetables Ca. 20 mins
    - Cut off all skins, rinse and cut smallish dices of kohlrabi and parsnip, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Onions, celery and leek slice as preferred.

3. Cook the stew Ca. 30-40 mins
    - Combine kohlrabi, parsnip, meat and broth back into the big pot, which you have washed. Put about half of the parsley in as well, chopped. Let boil. The harder you boil it the faster and softer the vegetables will be. I prefer chunky soups, so I rather let it sit on medium heat for longer time to keep more texture.

- Add about 1 liter of water plus stock cubes to taste. Black pepper or another bay leaf if you wish.

Keep skimming off the foam once in a while or before serving.
    - Add chopped leeks about 5 minutes before serving.
    - Add rest of the chopped parsley right before serving.
    - If you want to make freezer portions, stop boiling when vegs are still quite al dente. Take out then boil the rest on medium heat.

650zvf2p1cho.jpg
    October 5, 2014 2:59 PM

!!! Oops..I forgot to say in the recipe that I use the SMOKED PORK KNUCKLE. You can use the salty only too, just a matter of preference.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Author: @AlyssaJoJo

October 1, 2014 3:55 AM

We made this last night and it was super tasty
    • 2 cups shredded red cabbage 43c
    • 3 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced 24c
    • 1 tsp garlic garlic 0c (Just a garlic seasoning)
    • 1/4 c chicken broth 2c
    • 1 cup julianned carrots 50c
    • 1 wedge of laughing cow sundried tomato and basil 35c
    • 3.5 oz shrimp 70c
    Sautee shrimp in water or dry and put aside on a plate. Put cabbage, mushrooms, garlic seasoning, broth, carrots and laughing cow wedge in pan and saturee until all veggies are tender, laughing cow has coated all veggies, and broth has evaporated. Place shrimp back into pan and warm while mixing in with veggies.

224 calories 27 carbs 24 protein 6 fiber and 2 fat

I was suprised at how much food I got for these stats! Nomnom.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hey, we got our recipes thread back! Woohoo!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    It was always here...just buried a bit.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    15 MINS FAST FISH SOUP
    3-4 servings, around 100 kcal per serving of soup + seafood

This was my go-to soup last fall. It's one of those, "take what's left in fridge experiments" that were so successful, that it became a staple. It's very fast and even when I came home from the gym deadtired, this was the recipe I ended up making most days.

Ingredients:

1 ts olive oil
    1-2 bay leaves
    60 g fresh flat parsley
    100-120 g celery sticks, in chunks
    3-4 onions, peeled and chopped
    0.5-1 1-clove garlic, grated (chinese garlic, any garlic will do)
    1 piece premium cod loin, (frozen or fresh)

4-5 cubes of Knorr fish stock (this is the best supermarket economy stock here, in USA you probably have much more choices)

2-3 liters of water
    Black pepper
    2 ts red chili flakes (optional)

Optional: Any other vegs you like or seafood or egg. Just bear in mind that additional ingredients also add to the preparation time. The 15 mins basic recipe is for the frozen cod. White wine. I also use something called "fishballs". It's a regional delicacy, a fish version of meatballs. But I doubt you can buy that in USA, unless in Minnesota...

Preparation: Take a big medium sized casserole (3 liters), add a swig of olive oil. Medium to low heat. Peel and grate garlic into the pot. Peel and chop onions, and add them. Medium-medium high heat. Rinse and chop celery into preferred chunks, add them. Let the vegs soften for about 1-2 mins until onions start to become a bit translucent.
    Scissor in half or 2/3 of the parsley, stems included.

Pour in 2 liters of water, add 1 cube per 500 ml water. High heat, until boil. Let simmer for a couple of minutes. Lower heat to minimum. Add in the cod or salmon loin. Start the timer on phone to countdown 9.15 mins. Scissor in the rest of the parsley.

DO NOT BOIL THE FISH ON HIGH HEAT!

Fish is a much more delicate protein than meats. So it needs to be drafted on LOW heat.The timing depends on how big a piece the fish is, and the shape. Fresh or thawed fish needs only 2-4 mins.

A typical loin piece of FROZEN 130 g is 9.30 mins. Subtract 20 secs to drafting time if the piece is smaller, 125 g or thinner. If in doubt start with a shorter draft time, poke the piece. If it's flaky, it's done! A perfect piece is flaky, soft and moist.

Additional tip: When I had leftovers, I stored it for next day and I'd just add a bit more vegs, stock and spices for another serving.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Bumping for you @bethhjanee
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I hope no one minds me bumping this up, but I want to be able to find this again easily :)
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Here is the Bean Stew with Kale and Escarole that I make. I don't put in the turkey sausage, and I use a half a cup less of beans to get the calorie count a little lower.
    I use low sodium chicken broth and a mixture of carrots, onions, and celery for the veggies.
    Comes in at around 220 calories, give or take, with the way I make it. 4 servings.

http://goop.com/recipes/bean-stew-with-kale-and-escarole/
  • Meghan509
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here is a new recipe I found for dinner. To make it more 5:2 friendly I did the following:

Reduced the lentils from 1 1/2 cups to 1 cup
    Took out the carrots and celery - note this won't be a huge calorie reduction, I was just getting tired of having these two flavors in all of my soups and stews lately
    Reduced the amount of low sodium vegetable broth from six cups to four cups. I am thinking that based on how the soup looks and smells, I may be able to drop it down next time to two cups of broth and two cups of water. People can decide on how it tastes, on what they prefer going forward.
    I didn't put the soup in a blender to make it less chunky - I left it as is.

This recipe came in at around 220 calories, via MFP, when I made the changes above (four cups of broth). Edit - This makes FOUR SERVINGS.

http://littlespicejar.com/moroccan-sweet-potato-lentil-soup/
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all,

Here is a new one for you all.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chickpea-sweet-potato-stew/

I made a couple of changes to make it four servings.
    First thing I did was swap out sweet potato and used butternut squash. Probably not a calorie difference there, just didn't feel like chopping up a bunch of sweet potatoes. LOL Dealing with a pound of already chopped butternut is easier. Just needs a tad more chopping and good to go.
    Another thing I changed was using one container of garbonzo beans, instead of two.
    Also added three large organic carrots, chopped up to give it a little more umph.
    Added a dash of turmeric as well.
    Comes in at around 211 calories when I did these changes and it makes four BIG servings.

I put it in the slow cooker for five and a half hours on low which was plenty of time. Could do less next time. The squash really breaks down and becomes soupy on its own. Spinach is tossed in last, with say 20 minutes left. Verdict - YUMMY!!

• Meghan509
    Options
    Check this one out, for a low calorie soup.

In the notes she says you can add more veggies to it, to make it more hearty. I might try that some time. :)

https://www.skinnytaste.com/dads-creamy-cauliflower-soup-1-p/#more-21613
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Here is a nice vegetable soup. I made it in the slow cooker and put the zucchini in at the end. Added a small can of tomato paste, used four cups of vegetable broth and two cups of water. This makes 8 servings at around 200 calories each. Would leave water out next time. Don't need it. Tastes yummy....
    Enjoy!!
    https://ifoodreal.com/vegetable-soup-recipe/
  • orlcam
    Options
    Bump