sleep apnea

Options
So I just had an appointment with my medical internist to review a sleep study, turns out I have seveer sleep apnea, and am now on a CPAP machine. It really does explain a lot of how my body was feeling and how tired I always felt. I am curious if anyone else had it and if it was resolved with your weightloss. The CPAP is magic, but I don't want to sleep with it forever if I don't need too. what is your experience?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Cpap for fifteen years or so. It took some getting used to, but now it is a part of my life and no big deal. As I lose more weight, I suppose I will go for another sleep study to see if I still need it, or if I can move to a dental appliance but either way it is no big deal. I really struggle if I fall asleep without it.

Rob
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Within a few months of my Gastric Bypass I had to have the volume of air on my CPAP reduced. A few months later (about 6 months post-op) I was able to have them do a test where I had to wear a fancy monitor with my CPAP and the next night I slept with just the fancy monitor. The test levels were so close that they said I could stop using my CPAP machine. I kept it for a year just in case I needed it again, but I never did.
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My sleep apnea was completely resolved after surgery
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed during the pre-op testing phase, never had a C-PAP and the problem completely resolved as the weight dropped.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest (5'3" and 245+ pounds) I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and the analysis showed I was waking up every 8 minutes! No wonder I was sooo tired all of the time! My program required that I lose 5% of my weight to qualify for surgery. I did and then the next sleep study showed mild to moderate sleep apnea. I expect it will completely resolve itself as I continue to lose the excess weight. Good luck!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My sleep apnea is gone. I am 2 years post RNY.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just did the at home study, apparently I failed! LOL, no big surprise. I meet with my PCP on Monday to go over the results. Don't know if I'll have to go in for the more in depth study or if he'll just make the recommendations using this one. I see a C-Pap machine in my future. Ughh!!