What do you do while on the treadmill?

Options
DM01234
DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
Do you listen to music, watch TV or something else?

I find I need to listen to music with my earplugs in and have the tv on, but on mute. It really helps me to pass the time. I don't pay attention to the tv, just serves as a distraction, especially as I raise the intensity of the routine.

Replies

• Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I listen to a podcast and let my mind wander from there. I like to listen to music but I find that it disrupts my cadence. I can't stand th tv though.. I usually turn it off.
  • CMcH4
    CMcH4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Last night I had the TV on, however I didn't pay much attention to it. I started concentrating on form and looking through apps on my phone. However, my approach will probably be music most times.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It depends on if I'm doing intervals or just straight running. If I do intervals, I listen to music. If I"m running, I watch movies/ tv shows on the ipad with head phones. I desperately need the distractions otherwise I'm looking at the time every thirty seconds.
  • mellyboobear
    mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix :3
  • akmfp
    akmfp Posts: 56
    Options
    I like to watch some documentaries, I've started to watch through some penn and teller B$ - I need something interesting that takes my mind off the running. But I also listen to some stations on tunein radio iphone app!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I just watch the TV's at the gym but there is no volume and they aren't connected to the treadmills so I just have to read the cc and listen to the music over the PA system.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Music, music, music with headphones. A few hundred songs with various tempos…every thing from JT to Sam & Dave to Blake Shelton to Pitbull to Nate King Cole to Maroon 5 etc.

The gym has 16 TV’s but I pretty much just look at them once in a while to see what the headline news may be.

Screenshot_2014-10-17-10-13-49_zpsf125dfd5.png
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I listen to music or audiobooks and watch TV. Mostly the TV is on mute, sometimes I'll actually watch a movie or show.
    I also sometimes use the commercials and programs as a training device: speed up the treadmill over the commercials and back to my regular speed during the actual show. It helps me get faster over the long run. (I've also discovered that commercial breaks lengthen by about 2 minutes over the Christmas season.....not always a nice thing as I'm huffing along :smile: )
  • akmfp
    akmfp Posts: 56
    Options
    That's an interesting idea paytra, I find myself needing a target time to stop the running otherwise I give up easy and go back to the jog... I will try this!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Glad to help. Another "trick" I try is to slow the pace down a bit and increase the incline during commercial breaks and lower it again for the regular show. Running hills is a whole different animal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is in the basement. Lately I watch something on the DVR. We have blue tooh headphones but for running I don't like them on my head. So the volume goes up loud. Sometimes I'll read, but that is better for walking than running. If Hubby is playing a video game then I can watch something on Netflix thru my tablet, and use earbuds which are easier to deal with than the heavy headphones.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I could never “consistently” do my treadmill walking without my smart-phone loaded with music. I have a special folder called “treadmill songs”. They are tunes that I pace myself by. The facility I utilize has about 16 TV’s in front of the room that I sometimes glance at for weather etc. I never look at the wall clock. I track the time elapsed on the treadmill by song count. So much nicer for me mentally to say…”only 5 more songs to go” than “argh..20 more minutes.” I also find the “right headset” makes a difference with regards to sound quality and comfort. I am able to block out all noise and escape inside my own head…scary (LOL)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Watch TV or read usually. Reading generally means a Kindle app on a tablet or phone. Sometimes listen to music.