Basic Questions

Options

Replies

• orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello I was told that people calories go up as high as 800 on fast days when doing the 4:3? Is this a right way of doing things or it is a rule to stick to 500 as close as possible?

I am one of those people that love to work out at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day and the range of the calories vary from 400 to 500 or even higher. I don't eat back all my calories or I even ignore it most of the time. What is you take on this?
    I think the people doing that are using 25% of their TDEE as a rule of thumb and then finding a happy balance between that and the 500/600 mark. I myself stick to 600 but sometimes go over by no more than 50, but I hit to the underside of that as well many times. If you are just starting out then find what's comfortable...do what you need to in order to stay with it. You'll find as time goes by that you'll be able to lower it with no ill affects...some have even gone to "true" fasting (eating 0 calories on fast days). I've done it a couple of times and have done 100 cal or less a few more...but I was testing myself. I'm still relatively new (3 months in) so I am still tweaking things to find the right balance.

It is OK to eat back exercise calories on normal days, but Dr. Mosley (the individual who came up with the lifestyle) says you shouldn't do that on fast days. This is mainly to gain the additional health benefits.

The 5:2 Fast Diet main website is at:
    thefastdiet.co.uk/

but more specifically you should read the FAQ:
    thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/

and the page where they explain the 500/600 calorie logic:
    thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

Also, you should check out the video where Dr. Mosley documents his quest to lead a healthier longer life. There is a link in the announcement section at the top of the 5:2 group page. The progressions he steps through while searching are actually pretty interesting...and entertaining.

Good Luck
  • Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    Hello I was told that people calories go up as high as 800 on fast days when doing the 4:3? Is this a right way of doing things or it is a rule to stick to 500 as close as possible?

I am one of those people that love to work out at least 1.5 to 2 hours a day and the range of the calories vary from 400 to 500 or even higher. I don't eat back all my calories or I even ignore it most of the time. What is you take on this?
    I think the people doing that are using 25% of their TDEE as a rule of thumb and then finding a happy balance between that and the 500/600 mark. I myself stick to 600 but sometimes go over by no more than 50, but I hit to the underside of that as well many times. If you are just starting out then find what's comfortable...do what you need to in order to stay with it. You'll find as time goes by that you'll be able to lower it with no ill affects...some have even gone to "true" fasting (eating 0 calories on fast days). I've done it a couple of times and have done 100 cal or less a few more...but I was testing myself. I'm still relatively new (3 months in) so I am still tweaking things to find the right balance.

As of today looking at my food entry I may end in the low 700s and even if not counted I worked out for 1.5 hours. Both core, arm and cardio. I am tempted to count it a 4:3. My next fast as to be moved to Tuesday and Thursday. My birthday celebration keeps on going and going. Officemates are still taking me out. I would say that is a good sign.

• orlcam
    Options
    @flumi_f also listed this reference in the announcement section...it addresses both of your concerns:
    https://fastday.com/buzz/avoid-these-5-common-fasting-mistakes/

Here's two links to that documentary (Eat, Fast & Live Longer):
    dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
    ...or...
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/
  • Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f also listed this reference in the announcement section...it addresses both of your concerns:
    https://fastday.com/buzz/avoid-these-5-common-fasting-mistakes/

Here's two links to that documentary (Eat, Fast & Live Longer):
    dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
    ...or...
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

Okay thanks so much. Today is definitely not a fast day since I will go over. And bad if I only eat 800 calories, I will have dinner instead of skipping it. Thanks for you patience.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been able to find another forum about intermittent fasting? I love this group here on MFP but I also like to read what others are saying about their IF experiences. I'm finding that;

1.) This IF lifestyle is very popular with people in the UK ( it's hard for me when reading those discussion forums because they use "stone" and gram alot) and for the most part diets and receipes are different.

AND

2.) Most of the IF on youtube have been posted by men. Most of them body builders. That is not very useful for me. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »

Oooh! Thanks! I joined! I was in another IF group but no one EVER posted. I hope this one is more talkative!
  • orlcam
    Options
    This one is the best .... just sayin'.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @orlcam - +1
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options

;)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    To add to Foamroller's Reddit link:

reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting
    reddit.com/r/leangains

I hit up Reddit daily, but this is my favorite too ;)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I have a silly question for you guys. Last night it went to a bbq. Had way too much to drink. No hangover this morning!!! Is this a hidden benefit of the 5:2? Or coincidence? Or luck?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Yup B)

I actually left the two FB groups I was in. Lots off whining and fighting. I'm just not into that.

• lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    yeah - i gave up mumsnet 5:2 as I spent too much time telling people to stop judging and to be nicer to each other. Felt like a kindergarten teacher. People here are rather lovely.
  • orlcam
    Options
    dang...bbq...dang...i want sum

as to immunity to hangovers...not sure about that one, but maybe.

...dangit
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    dang...bbq...dang...i want sum

as to immunity to hangovers...not sure about that one, but maybe.

...dangit

Bahahahahaha
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have a silly question for you guys. Last night it went to a bbq. Had way too much to drink. No hangover this morning!!! Is this a hidden benefit of the 5:2? Or coincidence? Or luck?

I think, you just got lucky ;-)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Well I did get lucky ;p but ooh maybe sex is a good hangover cure!!!!!