Alcatraz swim

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
I swim because I'm into it and it's one of the few ways to get in a good, heart-pounding workout that doesn't hurt. (A perfect storm of weight and arthritis)

I got back in the pool a couple of months ago to try to get in better physical shape when I got this hare brained idea that it would be fun to participate in one of the swims from Alcatraz.

So, I start reading the literature on safety recommendations and get stopped short: We do not recommend you attempt this swim if you cannot comfortably swim a mile in a pool in less than 40 minutes.

Now, friends, I can swim all DAY, but a mile in 40 minutes? Nope. Or not yet. When I read that I was doing a mile in 56, and I'm now down to a mile in 53 after a month.

Part of this is just physical. I' m a size 22, so hyrdodynamic I'm not. I know cold water swimmers are hardly skinny, but I'm a bit beyond that.

The rest? Just training, I suppose.

But I was wondering if anyone else had done the swim before, whether they did it wetsuitted or not and any recommendations you might have.

Now, I'm a swimmer, and have zero aspirations to be a triathlete. So tri advice about saving strength for the run or anything like that won't matter to what I'm trying to do. All I'm worried about is the swim.

Thoughts?

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Not sure as I'm not an open water swimmer! Are the currents out there extremely rough? Or maybe they have a limited time window for support and emergency services?
    Perhaps some of the open water swimmers on here can chime in?
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Looking at timetable for a past Alcatraz event, it looks like they close the race about an hour after it starts? So perhaps that's the reason, rather than a swimmer's inability to complete?
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How long is the swim? Is it a race or an event? If its a race then I can understand the time limit. Events give you a lot of time to finish. I would think currents might be an issue as well and they would want you to be strong enough. My main advice would be to definitely get open water practice before hand and a wetsuit is an excellent idea. Wetsuits make you more buoyant and warm.

Check out the following thread from this group for open water and race tips.
    From splasher to swimstar i hope
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was just reading the specs from the Sharkfest tri. I probably won't be doing that, as I've little interest in doing anything but just swimming from Alcatraz to shore. You know, just for the challenge of it and to make it slightly urgent that I get my butt in the pool every day to train.

It's about a mile and a half swim, so it's not exactly a difficult distance. I can do that in a pool NOW. I am guessing you're quite right about the currents issue.

I know there are organizations that do swim adventures and things like that, and I'll probably go that route. (Swimtrek is one, but possibly there are others)

At my body fat percentage, buoyancy isn't exactly at problem :) Lynne Cox is more of my swimming role model than Olympians.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You can check with local Tri and Master Swim groups for other swim events that aren't as time specialized. I discovered the two I did last summer from just overhearing someone talk about it. I discovered there was another event that I will do next year from my Master Swim group.

I enjoy doing the events and they are a reason to get me in the pool as well.