Week 2: Make It Yourself

Options
NakeshiaBeard
NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
This week I'm challenging you to make 2 out of 3 of your daily main meals yourself (or 4 out of 6 if you eat 6 small meals a day).

This doesn't include snacks, but your larger meals only. I know making your own meals can be a real challenge for some, so I haven't asked for it to be every meal this week (even I wouldn't do that!). Making it yourself could also be a meal that another family member or friend has made for you, so long as you know what's in the meal (you could even offer to help them make it). Aim for well balanced meals including a source of fruit/vegetable, protein, carbs and dairy.

I've already knocked of one meal this morning, porridge with sliced banana and coconut coupled with a cup of liquorice root tea. Yum! Food is so much more satisfying when you've put some effort into obtaining it.

Best of luck. Remember to keep us updated!

Replies

• mellyboobear
    mellyboobear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    so is this basically just saying no fast foods? lol. :D if so then I have this on LOCK! :D
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    No eating out and no processed foods. I got this one! I do food prep on Sunday so my meals are cook and ready for the week.
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hi! This challenge is for me. I hate cooking! I make a lot of sandwhiches, cereal, and eat at my parents a few times a week, but tend to eat out quite a bit, It's healthy, turkey wraps, salad, etc. I really want to take the time to make my own!!
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    I'm glad to see some of you know what it going into your bodies! Too often we just reach for whatever without really checking what the food we are eating is made of. A guideline I love is that if you can't pronounce it then don't eat it!
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    So how's everyone coping with this weeks challenge?

I'm getting the feeling that I've made it a little too easy for myself as I cook basically every meal I eat! However, the weekend will be a bit of challenge as my partner and I tend to go out for breakfast, sometimes a lunch and usually a couple of dinners as well!

Hope everyone is enjoying cooking up a storm :smile:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I prepare my meals at home because I hate eating out. Although Popeye's chicken strips have been calling for the past week and a half. Fortunately, I don't live any where near one and won't drive my gas hog over to get some.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Not working out at all... I'm just too busy to make much of my own food. Take yesterday as an example: I grabbed granola bars on my way out the door in the morning (around 7:15am), ate chili from fast food for work (11:30am/noon - I suppose I could have made sandwiches to bring). After work, I rushed home to change clothes and then headed out to a political meeting and some volunteering afterwards. Had a burger, fries, and cole slaw at the meeting. Volunteering was door knocking, so I got some extra calories from Fitbit. Made a couple of other stops related to politics on the way home and ended up getting back home around 9:30pm, entered data related to the political volunteering and watched some TV until going to bed at 10:45pm. I also ate several glucose tablets in the afternoon because of low blood sugar.

All said, I think I was 25 calories over goal, but still at a deficit for the day (could have been less if I ate differently at dinner). Though I was pretty close to goal calories, I still would have found it difficult to make 2 of my own meals. Not impossible, but quite difficult as I had about 20 min. at home between 7:15am and 9:30pm.
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Not working out at all... I'm just too busy to make much of my own food. Take yesterday as an example: I grabbed granola bars on my way out the door in the morning (around 7:15am), ate chili from fast food for work (11:30am/noon - I suppose I could have made sandwiches to bring). After work, I rushed home to change clothes and then headed out to a political meeting and some volunteering afterwards. Had a burger, fries, and cole slaw at the meeting. Volunteering was door knocking, so I got some extra calories from Fitbit. Made a couple of other stops related to politics on the way home and ended up getting back home around 9:30pm, entered data related to the political volunteering and watched some TV until going to bed at 10:45pm. I also ate several glucose tablets in the afternoon because of low blood sugar.

All said, I think I was 25 calories over goal, but still at a deficit for the day (could have been less if I ate differently at dinner). Though I was pretty close to goal calories, I still would have found it difficult to make 2 of my own meals. Not impossible, but quite difficult as I had about 20 min. at home between 7:15am and 9:30pm.

I find planning the week ahead really helps.

Some suggestions if you are struggling to make your own food:

- If you have a spare hour or so sometime throughout the week then you have time to plan what you can make to last the week!
    - Cook up big pots of soups, stews, risotto, and paella, or anything that freezes well and is cooked in large quantities. At most the ingredients should only take half an hour to prepare and throw into a pot, or…
    - Get yourself a slow cooker so you can throw some meat and vegetables in there first thing in the morning and it will be cooked by the time you get home again. There are countless websites with great slow cooker recipes.
    - Whip up a smoothie in 10 minutes and taking that with you when you are on the go.
    - Pack dried fruit, nuts and seeds and keep them in your car, bag and at the office for when blood sugar drops.
    - At worst, sign up to a meal delivery service, not ideal but there are some good companies out there that prepare fresh, highly nutritious and well balanced meals from well sourced produce. Much healthier than grabbing burgers, fries, pizzas, ‘healthy’ energy bars (that are actually packed full of sugars and carbs) or similar fast and convenience foods.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I know many people don’t feel they have the time to prepare their own food, but think of it this way: not having time is just a matter of priorities… is your health and your wellbeing more important than anything else?
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    kingscrown wrote: »
    I prepare my meals at home because I hate eating out. Although Popeye's chicken strips have been calling for the past week and a half. Fortunately, I don't live any where near one and won't drive my gas hog over to get some.

I agree, Eating lunch out (for me) is a fantasy BEFORE I place my order, and then AFTER, I am not satisfied with what I ate. I am more satisfied eating a PB&J at lunch, then take out Chinese food. Yet the take-out seems more appetizing before I eat it, and I feel like crap afterwards...after a PB&J I always say "That was delicious!".

I did good this week, brought lunch everyday, and made my meals at night. I did have a couple processed snacks. But me making my meals at night is huge as I hate to cook!
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Well the week is over, how did everyone do?

I was doing great up until Friday where I ended up buying lunch and dinner after a particularly pressuring day at the office. Every other day I met the challenge, but there will be no rewards for me because of Friday. Nevermind, I did my best!

Hope everyone else managed to pull through!