Fat Balding Old Men

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Since its now being shown that Carbs are responsible for many, many ailments, I was wondering something. Today, I looked over at a table, in a restaurant I was at, and saw four fat (insulin) resistant (fat around belly) older (60+) men at a table. They all were bald. I am like them. I started losing my hair around 38 years old (I'm 57 now). About 38 is when I start getting insulin resistant, fat and started having Diabetes and heading towards being morbidly obese.

I wonder if scientists have looked into a connection between the damage hi-carb/insulin resistance/SAD and "male pattern baldness". I haven't Googled it yet, but it kinda makes ya wonder...LOL!

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Hmmm. Interesting. I know a lot of it is hereditary but who's to say insulin/hormones don't play a part? See what your search turns up.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Interesting thoughts there Dan.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    Interesting. I'd be curious to know the results.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Bald is beautiful...nutrition that causes unwanted beauty...not so much!
  • It's hereditary but hormones play a big role too. Alchoholism can cause hairloss (think how much sugar in a 2 liters of vodka?) because of it's effects on the endocrine system, so it's not far fetch to imagine a link between hairloss and diabetes.

http://sciencenetlinks.com/interactives/alcohol/ebook/pages/endocrine-system.htm

My thyroid issues developed when I went on a low fat (high carb) diet as with insulin resistance (pre-diabetic). Since I've been ketoing-- my skin, nails, and hair looks healthier. I don't have near as much hair in my brush. I'm also getting mild symptoms of being over-medicated which is a great sign my thyroid is coming back to life. My pre-diabetic state has probably diminished too.
  • DittoDan
    Well, alcohol is one thing I can rule out. Hate the taste of the stuff. When I was a teenager, I tried it twice, got drunk twice. One on beer and one on Tequila. Since then I don't drink the stuff. I used to keep a beer in my fridge in case someone came over and wanted one. When I cleaned out my fridge at the start of my Keto diet, I looked at the date on it, 2006, LOL! Does beer age like wine?
  • Obesity may affect thyroid function. At least that what I have read about it. A thyroid dysfunction can affect vitamin B12 absorption and a deficiency in B12 can cause hair loss.
    It's just an idea of mine but it could explain it.
  • I have to take b12 shot every few days and never knew there was a connection between that and hypothyroidism. Doctors and they're secrets!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    You forget there are a lot of thin bald men walking the earth. I'm not talking about hair loss from malnutrition or other factors. I am talking about male pattern baldness. MPB is totally genetic. If you have hair follicles sensitive to androgens, then you will lose your hair soon after puberty. The lifespan of your hair follicles is determined at conception, and has nothing to do with obesity, insulin, or what you ate in your life.
  • DittoDan
    edited October 2014
    LeonCX wrote: »
    You forget there are a lot of thin bald men walking the earth. I'm not talking about hair loss from malnutrition or other factors. I am talking about male pattern baldness. MPB is totally genetic. If you have hair follicles sensitive to androgens, then you will lose your hair soon after puberty. The lifespan of your hair follicles is determined at conception, and has nothing to do with obesity, insulin, or what you ate in your life.

Yeah, you're probably right. It was just an observation...

But, there are thin people that eat a lot of "grains" and starches, that get damage in their body (watch the "fat Head" video).

Dan the Balding Old Fat Man from Michigan