I'm having a hard time with Fiber...

Options
DAM5412
DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
I don't seem to be getting much of it.

Ideas people? I'd prefer to eat my fiber in foods, instead of a supplement. I am trying to keep my carbs at 20g, and have cut a lot of fruits and veggies. What I am missing as a way to up my fiber intake?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I prefer to get my fiber in foods, but even eating a half pound of veg a day (spinach, romaine, broc, cauli, green/yellow beans, mushrooms mostly) I fall far short of 25grams, which is my goal. I usually make it up by taking psyllium husk in water daily. I know you said no supplements, but it works for me without being a powdered, fake flavored deal.
  • BansheeCat
    BansheeCat Posts: 140
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Avocados are almost all net carbs. I eat half a large Hass Avocado and get 12grams of fiber; 2 net carbs. They're also loaded with potassium and fat. There are smaller avocados or you can slice it up. Mix it in sourcream and lime to have a guacemole dip or spread--They're awesome on burgers but I love avocados so I'm biased.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    BansheeCat wrote: »
    Avocados are almost all net carbs. I eat half a large Hass Avocado and get 12grams of fiber; 2 net carbs. They're also loaded with potassium and fat. There are smaller avocados or you can slice it up. Mix it in sourcream and lime to have a guacemole dip or spread--They're awesome on burgers but I love avocados so I'm biased.

Totally going to try this. I used to get alot of fiber from raspberries that I now need to make up!

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Good idea Bansheecat. I think I'll make the spread and dip pork rinds in it.... :D
  • BansheeCat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you sprinkle bacon bits in it it's even better. My Mexican friends call it Gringa Guac.

DittoDan, it's hard to find pork rinds but if I do I'm stacking up. I used to live off of those when I was a kid. Rinds and guac sound really good right now.
  • DAM5412
    Options
    Oh, I love my avocados actually, and Spinach and cauliflower, but I just can't seem to eat enough of them consistently. I think I may need to start making egg frittatas or muffins with them so they are more portable.

I think I probably just need to make more of an effort here and needed to speak it out loud (er, or in this case type) to make the commitment to eat more of them.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to say this, but how's your poop? :o
    If you are regular and comfortable, I'm not sure you need to worry about the fiber. I was a bit worried too, but have since given up!
  • DAM5412
    Options
    I haven't really had any issues, but then I wonder...what is regular, really? I mean, it's like calling someone normal...what really IS normal? I can say I haven't had any changes or issues with my it since going Keto.
  • DittoDan
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you sprinkle bacon bits in it it's even better. My Mexican friends call it Gringa Guac.

DittoDan, it's hard to find pork rinds but if I do I'm stacking up. I used to live off of those when I was a kid. Rinds and guac sound really good right now.

Where do you live? Maybe a "progressive" state where "fat" is not politically correct (New York & California come to mind). :#

Seriously, here in Michigan, they are in every 7-11, mom & pop stores, all small & large grocery stores (with half a dozen different brands and flavors).

They're even gas stations (that sell snacky foods).

Dan the Man from Pork Rind Michigan

• edyn_Blair
    edyn_Blair Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    metamucil. works awesome!
  • BansheeCat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Where do you live? Maybe a "progressive" state where "fat" is not politically correct (New York & California come to mind). :#

Seriously, here in Michigan, they are in every 7-11, mom & pop stores, all small & large grocery stores (with half a dozen different brands and flavors).

You guessed correct Dan. I reside in California. San Diego to be exact.

Interesting you note progressive to lack of fat inventory particularily pork rinds. When I visit Utah, pork rinds are a convenience at every gas station. I live in a lesser progressive area of the California. With a little digging I can find them here. hmmm....you might be one to something. lol

When the last kid graduates--that's 8 more years to go and we're heading outbound. It's too expensive, the weather is boring, and I'm not a beach person. Hubby and I like seasons and a little snow at Christmas time.

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Interesting you note progressive to lack of fat inventory particularily pork rinds. When I visit Utah, pork rinds are a convenience at every gas station. I live in a lesser progressive area of the California. With a little digging I can find them here. hmmm....you might be one to something. lol

When the last kid graduates--that's 8 more years to go and we're heading outbound. It's too expensive, the weather is boring, and I'm not a beach person. Hubby and I like seasons and a little snow at Christmas time.

I live in Alabama. Most convenience stores and gas stations (let alone grocery stores) carry a variety of pork rinds, from regular to spicy hot. One advantage to living in the South, rofl

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Amazon is your friend. I believe they even ship to San Diego.
  • DittoDan
    Options

I love California, it's a nice place to visit.... I was there (San Deigo) for business last February for a week. As beautiful as it was, in some ways it is very ugly. There is no green vegetation- unless man plants and waters it. Too much dessert. Northern California is lush. Oh well, Michigan is nice. You should see the spectacular fall colors right now. It will take your breath away. But all places have good and bad. America is beautiful.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm in NorCal - for pork rinds aka chicharrones, try Latino and Asian grocery stores. Where I am, both abound!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I haven't given a second thought to fiber... am I supposed to be monitoring those too??? I figured between all the fat and the water I'm never constipated so who cares about fiber. Is this wrong?
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    With the amt of water I drink daily ( at least 9 cups), and all of the coconut I end up ingesting during the week, be it oil, milk, cream etc...I have no issues with regularity! Slides right out :P
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    I haven't given a second thought to fiber... am I supposed to be monitoring those too??? I figured between all the fat and the water I'm never constipated so who cares about fiber. Is this wrong?
    Crisb:

Marketing hype over fiber (especially grain based/bran) is, to my mind, yet another of the "broscience" myths designed to separate one from their money at the expense of their wellness.

So, IMO, short answer to your question is NO - you are NOT wrong.

There is mounting evidence (although most is relatively old 5-15 years) that most of the claims (colon cancer, etc) are baseless. There is also evidence that excessive fiber levels can negatively impact general health, specifically in the areas of digestion, bacterial levels, and simple abrasion.

While I don't personally agree with all of the recommendations or conclusions of this article, I do absolutely agree that for the most part it's marketing hype, "conventional wisdom", and perfectly designed for the denizens of the litterbox (gotta love that moniker!).

For me the greatest benefit of dietary fiber is that I get to subtract it from total carbs <g>. As long as one is not experiencing BM "issues" there are other, much more relevant items to be concerned about and one need not spend time worrying about the "small stuff".

Here you go, TIFWIW.
    tinyurl.com/pgccaye
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »

Deansdad101 already addressed this, but I have some experience. I eat zero fiber. I have gone months (not an exaggeration) without any recorded fiber. There may have been fractions of a gram in some seasonings, but that would be it.

I have no issues with regularity unless I have been eating a lot of cheese. Frankly, when I do have fiber (like I decide to eat a massive salad) that is when I have problems.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh good... :) i have enough stuff to count with trying to keep macros in check, vitamins, calories. Thanks! Sorry OP, mini-hijack.