Fear Conquered(mostly!)

Options
Tonight was my weekly lesson and the trainer gave me the option of 2 different horses. I usually ride Silas; who is a Percheron/Morgan cross(17.2hh), occasionally Gus, a Suffolk (16hh) or rarely Ben, a Belgian(17.2hh); none of whom are particularly slow or lazy horses (which most people assume all drafts are!) so an assertive horse doesn't really bother me.

I had the option between Silas and Moody tonight. I chose to ride Moody instead of my usual Silas. Moody is an incredibly willing and happy (and forgiving) 18.1 hh black percheron who is almost 2000 lbs, and has absolutely no idea he is that big or that strong. He thinks he is a lap dog crossed with a Lipizzaner. In other words, he does "airs above the ground" with no warning out of sheer joy. There isn't a mean bone in his body (Thank God, I can only imagine what he could do if he was peeved!)

He scares the whey right out of me and I rode him anyway. I even cantered. Granted, I only let him go about 4 or so strides in one direction and about 6 or so in the other, but that was almost halfway around the ring because his stride is soooo long. As one of his regular riders puts it, "there's a lot of motion in that ocean" he has a rolling, rocking canter that moves you much like a boat rolling against the tide of a hurricane. Getting down afterwards almost took a crane - I am only 5"3", he is nearly a foot taller!

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Fear is our worst enemy. I have a natural fear of heights. I can ride a tall horse I just can't stand stepping on the mounting block to get on. Once on it's easy, I just don't look down.

Congrats on a great ride.