New to this...

Options
Hey there everyone. I'm here because I need to lose weight and I know lifting helps with health. I really don't want 'muscles', but I do want to have nice arms and not be so weak. I don't have very much weight to lose on my arms as they've always been relatively decent, even when heavy. I just need to lose what little weight I do have on them, tone and be able to at least lift my kid without feeling like I'm pulling out my back (he's only 48lbs). Does anyone have any suggestions on beginner programs for someone who struggles with 5lb weights? :disappointed:

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. Get it; read it; do it.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Well, glad I didn't join this group. Since all I have to do is get that book, and read and do it! WHEW! Saved a lot of nonsense I guess!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    bebubble wrote: »
    Well, glad I didn't join this group. Since all I have to do is get that book, and read and do it! WHEW! Saved a lot of nonsense I guess!

It's just a starting point. It's important to have a foundation and understand the basic concepts. She asked about a beginner program, I gave her one.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would love to get started. I'm still losing weight- got another 50+ to go. I'm going to look into the New Rules for Lifting and I saw an application on one of the other threads I'd like to look at- You Are Your Own Gym. I understand I may not be able to gain too much muscle while in a heavy deficit, but that I can attempt to retain the muscle I have and make some "newb gains." Any other tips for basic equipment that I can purchase to start out with? I don't have much time for the gym and I'd like to start at home.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    I would love to get started. I'm still losing weight- got another 50+ to go. I'm going to look into the New Rules for Lifting and I saw an application on one of the other threads I'd like to look at- You Are Your Own Gym. I understand I may not be able to gain too much muscle while in a heavy deficit, but that I can attempt to retain the muscle I have and make some "newb gains." Any other tips for basic equipment that I can purchase to start out with? I don't have much time for the gym and I'd like to start at home.

Depends on the route you go. New Rules is a weight lifting program, while YAYOG is a bodyweight program.

For bodyweight programs, here's some equipment you'll need:

Pull-up bar (pretty early on)
    Elastic/Assistance/Resistance Bands (early on, to help with pull-ups and can help strengthen accessory muscles if needed)
    Dip station (can be improvised and maybe forgone entirely depending on program, but dedicated dip equipment tends to be more versatile for general workouts and as you advance)
    Rings (advanced, when plain old pull-ups become too easy and you advance to ring pull-ups and muscle-ups)
    Nylon Bands (optional, depends on program; these are useful for different push-ups and pull-up type exercises)
    A pole, door, or other sturdy thing to help with balance (intermediate/advanced; for squat progression toward pistol squats)

For weight programs:

Power cage with safety mechanisms (highly recommend if you do a barbell program; the smaller bench sets are less safe, especially as you get to higher weights, and you do not want to drop a loaded bar on yourself; I prefer a steel cage, though a wooden one can be made from quality, hardwood 2x4s)
    Bench press bench (if the cage doesn't come with one or you don't get a cage; kind of required for bench presses)
    Barbell and weights (if you're doing a barbell program; you can pick them up pretty cheap from Craigslist or ebay or whatever; a good set will last for eternity)
    Dumbbells (if you're doing a dumbbell program; I just have my bar set, which I use the weights from, since I don't do a lot of smaller lifts, so dumbbells aren't required if you go the barbell route)
    Foam floor tiles (required if you're on a concrete floor, to protect both the weights and the concrete)
    Weight holder (can be improvised, but makes life easier to have something to hold your barbell plates and/or your dumbbells)
    Barbell clips (highly recommended if the bar doesn't come with a set; these hold the plates in place on the bar, you don't want them shifting around on you)

For both:

Space. In any program you do, you'll want a fair amount of space. At the very least, you'll need enough room to extend your arms to your sides and over your head (probably with some extra clearance space). For a barbell setup, you'll need about 6-7 feet vertical clearance, and at least about 8 feet clearance in one direction and 6 feet in the other (an Olympic bar is 7 feet long, so you need space to move it around and get weights on and off of it; you'll also want some clearance outside of the rack for floor based lifts like the deadlift). These numbers are all bare minimum, so if you can allocate more (even just temporarily while you're doing the workout), then that's even better. Also, don't forget space for your equipment (this space is easier to come by, because you can put them under or on things if necessary).

A mirror and video camera. This is especially useful for the weight lifting programs, where form is often harder and more important, but can be useful in bodyweight programs for various reasons. The mirror helps you watch your own form, and the video camera allows you to record yourself and get input from others.

Note on price -- the weight set seems daunting, but it's actually not that bad. I got my equipment brand new for about $1200. That's a power cage with dip bars and bench, Olympic barbell, 250lbs in weights, weight holder, and foam floor tiles. It paid for itself after about 2 years when you consider the cost savings from the membership of a gym that includes such equipment. You can buy nearly all of it piecemeal over time, if you need to. So, if you're just starting with New Rules, or you have to work up to the 45lb Oly bar weight, you can start with the dumbbells, which are only a couple hundred at most. Then you can get the barbell stuff as you get the money.

Also, pro tip -- if you order the weights and barbell online, it will most likely be shipped as freight. Shouldn't matter much for price, but does change the delivery logistics a little (you have to actually be there to accept the delivery, as they'll bring it into your house).
  • bmele0
    Options
    Thank you for the amazing detailed response! It sounds like I'll probably be piece-mealing it. The first step is to probably get familiar with what I'm going to need for what I'll be doing in the beginning and acquire the equipment.
  • bmele0
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also, are there any all-in-one systems that people like? Are these even recommended? I know these can get pricey, like if you bought a bowflex or something along those lines, what else do you need to make sure you have?

* Note, my husband is getting fit too- and he already lost all the weight he needs to and is also looking to start some strength training. Not sure if the all-in-one systems are good for someone who is about 6'8''.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    Also, are there any all-in-one systems that people like? Are these even recommended? I know these can get pricey, like if you bought a bowflex or something along those lines, what else do you need to make sure you have?

* Note, my husband is getting fit too- and he already lost all the weight he needs to and is also looking to start some strength training. Not sure if the all-in-one systems are good for someone who is about 6'8''.

I don't personally care for the Bowflex, in large part because the weight/resistance doesn't transfer to other kinds of equipment due to the mechanics. ie - if you can lift 150lb on a Bowflex, that doesn't mean you can lift 150lb with a traditional barbell. This is due to how the mechanics of the bending rods work. By making them flex, you add potential energy to them (remember physics class?), and the more you bend them, the more they resist. This means that it might be 150lb worth of resistance at full bend, but not at the points before that. That means you spend less time at the full 150lb than you would doing the same exercise with a barbell (where the equipment's resistance is constant). It can be useful on its own (after all, the number doesn't much matter -- what matters is that it goes up a little each workout), but that deception can be dangerous.

There are some not-quite-free weight all in one systems, but I've found them to be of limited use and end up being the same as or more than a more traditional setup in cost. You have to be careful with the not-quite-free weight systems, too, because you don't want the perfectly vertical form for squats that equipment like the Smith machine encourages. You're supposed to bend forward (at the waist, with a straight back) a bit when you do squats, and such equipment can deny you the ability to use your own muscles to balance on other lifts (such as the bench press).
  • bmele0
    Options
    After taking a look at some of the all-in-one models, I didn't think it would be in our best interest either. I think I'll start out with acquiring a decent dumbbell set- and I'll def check out used online. My dad has the bench press and might be willing to part with it. Thank you for all your help and advice!