Smolov Inspiration

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
Figured I'd drop this here. I was all happy about my 285 squat PR, then saw this video the day after. Makes me wish I had more time to dedicate to this stuff. 158LB Female hitting a 300LB PR after running a Smolov program:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YC5WuW5cNIQ

Reddit thread

NOTE: Smolov is designed as a squat only peaking method for advanced lifters. If you're still making gains on stronglifts or starting strength or whatever keep progressing, training, and eating.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Buddy of mine who no longer even lifts sent me this clip yesterday. Maybe he frequents Reddit...? Congrats on your squat PR!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Smolov is Awesome!! - I'll second that it's only for the advanced lifters, and that it's a peaking program.... The one extra thing it gave me was confidence under the bar.. I used to get a spot for my 3\5 Rep work (about 150-170KG range (330-374Lbs), Now, I'm squatting 200KG\462Lbs before I ask, and even then, it's for the third set!
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know anyone IRL that's finished the full Smolov cycle. They've either given up, been injure or had to resort to half squats and/or knee reps in the final few weeks.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Woah! Didn't know youtube links get auto embedded.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Neat video. Did watch. So...between the 14 min and 15 min marks he basically says to take out the fourth competition squat day and replace it with something with a greater return...like front squats...or maybe Bulgarian Split Squats...OF DOOM!

No way on earth I'm doing this program, even when I do get out of the second job. Good information from a loud guy though.