Chicken bits

Options
ChasingKatie
ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
I started buying my meat from a local farm this weekend. Im cooking a whole chicken today, and it came with its friends on the inside. What do I do with that? add it to bone broth? Honestly, it grosses me out, but Im trying to be an adult and use every part of the chicken. Help!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you have a dog, feed it to him before you cook it. It's great for them. The same goes for the feet.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The neck I'd use for stock. The rest...my dog loves them. :laugh:
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have cats, not sure if they would go for that? raw?
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OMG, don't feed them to the dog!

You have the heart, kidney, liver, and gizzards maybe?

Boil the heart, kidney, and gizzards in water. Then chop into little bits and add to gravy.
    Saute the chicken liver in butter and devour. Or freeze it until you have a bunch and make chopped liver.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have cats, not sure if they would go for that? raw?

Yep, they would, and yes, raw.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Giblet Gravy: www.siimplyrecipes,com/recipes/giblet_gravy Substitute the flour with manoic.

Paleos would rather give the muscle meat to the dogs and eat the innards themselves. The chicken feet make a great, gelatanous broth. I have read that liver is natures, natural vitamin pill.
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    As kids, our favorite meal was fried chicken hearts in butter. If you try the liver, be sure to remove the small yellow green sac. It's the gall bladder and is very bitter.