Climbing

Options
Does anyone here do any technical climbing? It's something I would like to consider getting started when I don't have so much extra weight to pull. So I figure I'll be ready to start building some muscle in a couple months, and that puts me maybe a year away from having the physical capacity to be capable of starting out. But... I'm also aware that there is much more to it than just being lean and having muscle. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to learn the skills and techniques? I live on the plains, so what does everyone think about the idea of getting started on fabricated indoor "rock" walls?

I realize this is quite a bit beyond hiking/backpacking, but I figure there must be a few folks who overlap into this area. Also, I understand that there are some mountains that one can summit without needing technical climbing skills... I've heard that Mt. Rainier (which is on my wish list when I am in better shape and have had a chance to climb other mountains first) is one that does not require technical climbing skills, though has other challenges (lots of snow and is very cold). I also realize that climbing can be dangerous and isn't something one should just try to do without prior planning, education, and growing skills from a more basic level first (I heard someone died in Zion National Park over the weekend while climbing).

Replies

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They say Mountain Adams is a good first timer. Non technical. Take a good GPS . I took a wrong turn and got into a pickle. pretty much ended my journey.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would consider myself an admirer of Technical Climbing and Mountaineering. I did a few weeks of serious climbing in the Ozarks with the boy Scouts when I was in High School and I have been interested ever since. However, given my weight most of my life, that I live in Kansas, and that I having a size 17 shoe makes toe holds difficult, I don't get much opportunity to participate.

I've done some climbing wall stuff at the local YMCA (100 ft). Not sure more muscle is what you need, but you most certainly need to be cut. From my experience your shoulders and core should be the things to work on. There's one pitch on this climbing tower I can't get over because my core can't move the rest of me "up". Being lighter helps too.

As for Mountaineering; Like you mentioned not all mountains require technical climbing. In fact, most are really long hikes at altitude. It sounds deceptively easy. I’ve summited 2 of the 14ers in Colorado and all that was required was a day pack and a fleece/jacket/sweater and a determination to put one foot in front of the other when you get tired.

If that’s something you want to get into I would search for climbing gyms in Omaha or Des Moines to get started and get an idea of what you’re in for.

Since you like to plan trips there’s two websites I use to research mountains if I think I want to “climb” something. http://www.14ers.com/ - Lots of resources if you’re headed to Colorado. Everywhere else, check out: www.summitpost.org

Happy Climbing
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found a big difference in needed experience between technical and alpine. I finally had to choose one (for economic reasons) so I focused on Alpine...technical was SO expensive and frankly at my age I don't think I'll get "back" to the weight/strength ratio needed to be any good at it. Now bouldering...that is still fun and cheap
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So I'm really out of shape and not doing anything for awhile. I did try an indoor rock wall (25 ft, and the easiest route... so the bare minimum). I was able to climb to the top, but I was scrambling because I don't have muscle stamina to hold on for long, and I was out of breath by the end of the first 25 ft. I did not climb down, but just dropped with the rope. I tried the 2nd easiest route up the same 25 ft. and did not quite make it to the top (was only a few feet).

Real life will be so much further and so much more difficult, so I have a whole lot of work to do. @iplayoutside19 it was definitely shoulders, arms, and core that I struggled with. If I lose fat and add a pack, I'll still have a lot of weight and need to do a lot of strength training to be able to do this. So I guess it looks like I'm several years from having the fitness I really need. :(
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    So I'm really out of shape and not doing anything for awhile. I did try an indoor rock wall (25 ft, and the easiest route... so the bare minimum). I was able to climb to the top, but I was scrambling because I don't have muscle stamina to hold on for long, and I was out of breath by the end of the first 25 ft. I did not climb down, but just dropped with the rope. I tried the 2nd easiest route up the same 25 ft. and did not quite make it to the top (was only a few feet).

Real life will be so much further and so much more difficult, so I have a whole lot of work to do. @iplayoutside19 it was definitely shoulders, arms, and core that I struggled with. If I lose fat and add a pack, I'll still have a lot of weight and need to do a lot of strength training to be able to do this. So I guess it looks like I'm several years from having the fitness I really need. :(

It's certainly a different type of "shape". in IMO, one of the best "shapes" you can be in.

Those dudes who climbed the Dawn Wall in Yosemite, like damn.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

It's certainly a different type of "shape". in IMO, one of the best "shapes" you can be in.

Those dudes who climbed the Dawn Wall in Yosemite, like damn.

Yes, I saw that... I have no illusion that I will ever be able to do something like that.

I wasn't going to hit weights until I'm halfway to my goal weight (still the plan), but it looks like I'm going to be working on both strength and stamina for a very long time before I even think about learning technical skills like setting anchors and such.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I'm focusing on weight training right now. But if that's kind of what you're looking for I would start doing some body weight exercises. Push-ups, ab exercises, and most all. Find a bar and start trying to do a pull-up. (like climbing) Even if you have to use some assistance from your feet. It will get those muscles used to that type of strain even if you're not strong enough to do the exercise yet.
  • winninginlosing
    winninginlosing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest starting with your local indoor climbing gym. While weighing less does help to make the maneuvers a bit easier, increase your endurance, and in my case improve your confidence, you don't need to be a certain weight to start climbing. Climbing is hard for most people at first, regardless of weight, as it uses a lot of muscles that we don't use on a regular basis. I have seen countless individuals who look like they are in great shape struggle with even the most basic routes when they first start, as well as people who have started over weight and lost quite a bit through rock climbing (unfortunately that does not include myself, lol). I have found that the most important thing, with rock climbing in particular, is to have confidence and just keep trying.

Also scrambling and being out of breath are completely normal. And at least with all the rock climbing I have been exposed to you never really climb down the route, so don't hold yourself to that expectation. Even with bouldering, which in a lot of ways is actually much harder than top roping, you usually drop out or walk off and don't have to figure out how to climb down the route.