What are your most useful weight loss tools?

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bump for the newbies :D

But I just had to edit this to add my newest tool the Fitbit Charge HR and linking it to not only MFP, but Walgreens and AARP sites as well. So nice to see those reminders that I am doing the right stuff, and the reward points are nice too. B)
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    One important tool that has helped me in many areas of my life, and that I am beginning to apply to my weight release and physical healing, is the technique of tapping, also known as EFT. Today is the first day of a ten-day Worldwide Tapping Summit which is available online for free: http://www.thetappingsolution.com/ if you want to check it out.

I first was introduced to this technique by a therapist in working through some serious issues. It is easy and it is powerful. This particular online "summit" is run by Nick Ortner and Jessica Ortner and I really enjoy the way they present it. ~ Kathy
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Really interesting Kathy. Our health is within us, isn't it? I am feeling the same about meditation and Tai Chi.
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Would anyone care to share exercise motivation tips, tricks, or stategies? Fact is, in cold weather I admit to avoiding daily walk and also admit to not really enjoying exercise videos/gym classes. Yet I know I need to do at least 30 minutes of something daily. Got a yoga mat and weights, resistence bands. Need a push
  • retirehappy
    Options
    barmbord wrote: »
    Would anyone care to share exercise motivation tips, tricks, or stategies? Fact is, in cold weather I admit to avoiding daily walk and also admit to not really enjoying exercise videos/gym classes. Yet I know I need to do at least 30 minutes of something daily. Got a yoga mat and weights, resistence bands. Need a push

Youtube. com is full of yoga workouts, hand weights, and bands training videos. I think you can find something to do on there. If you find some you like create your own private channel so you can go back to them whenever you need them.

• CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks much!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    @barmbord: Wish I had a magic pill. For me cardio is so much fun that going to the gym to walk the track and ride the stationary bike is easy. In fact, I took a sick day today for a cold and am thinking how I wish I could go workout. I think I will go to Tai Chi tonight as I the only student on Wednesday, but I probably should skip the gym. When the weather is nice, I walk a lot outdoors, too.

But, I hate strength training. My resistance bands hang on the back of my door at work and although I mean to, and I need to, I don't do them.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    barmbord wrote: »
    Shoving you into March, Barmbord! :-) I find Sworkit is a good app, as it will send me a reminder to get a routine done, and all the routines are bodyweight. It links with MFP so you get an instant report once you're done.
  • mxchana
    Options
    Barmbord, I do best if I get at least SOME of my exercise in during the morning ... this seems to motivate me to complete my goal later in the day. I most often fall short of my goal if I wait until later in the day when I am "just too tired." ~ Kathy
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    MFP has been my most useful tool so far but my recumbent bike and Jawbone come in second and third. My bike sits in front of a TV and whenever I'm bored I hop on the bike. I've lost 21 lbs since Dec 27 2014. So thankful I found MFP!
  • not2old2move
    not2old2move Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    barnbord, Do you like to dance? I find if I just put on some music I start dancing and that counts as exercise but is fun and the time flies by. A good way to burn calories. Use upbeat music of course. Hope it works for you too!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My scale that measures grams and ounces. I found that measuring cups/spoons/etc. don't give an accurate assessment.

I love my weighted hula hoop. It's fun and good exercise.

My treadmill keeps me walking in all kinds of weather.

Dancing is good, too, when I remember to put on the music.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyWalk, but some others find it less helpful. I like it because it takes into account inclines. Just remember that if walking and you need to stop. Stop completely until you can go again. That way the clock will stop, too, and resume when you do. I link it to MFP that way the walk is logged as soon as I save it. It also takes into account my current weight that way and I think we log stride in MapMyWalk, too. Makes a difference. Depending on the length of our legs depends on how many calories we burn in a mile. Two people, walk a mile in the same time. The short one (or rather shortest stride) will burn more calories.
    Bumping this up.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Got to add my classes at the rec center. And this thread needed to be bumped, lots of good stuff in here for newbies.
  • mxchana
    Options
    Not eating out. Back home again after what was actually a fund weekend in NYC ... but man, it is so good to be back home where I can cook and know what is going into my food!! ~ Kathy
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping for all the good ideas in here.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bump for newbies
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    1) MFP and this group
    2) measuring cups and scale
    3) fitibt
    4) computer - I am frequently researching recipes, health advice, medical news
    5) my friend Kathy who is my fitness companion in the 3D world
    6) daily reiki (which is very similar to meditation but works much better for me)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Our carry out bag is my secret weapon. We put half or more depending on the size of the serving at the restaurant into the carry bag before eating one bite.

The bag itself looks like a purse, but is insulated. We keep a couple of containers that are divided into two sections, and one container that is not divided and find that works in just about any situation. Not only does the keep my portion under control at the restaurant, my portion is already set for the left over meal. We recently converted from plastic containers to glass as well.

What are you using to help you reach your goals these days?
  • mxchana
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Great idea, Joell - where did you buy the insulated bag?

Today I just started working with a personal trainer to improve my strength training technique and to learn new skills - free weights, etc. I was VERY happy with the way my new trainer worked with me, just right! So that is my latest secret weapon.

My number one tools are, in order of importance: (1) my digital food scale and (2) my digital body scale. It shows me changes as small as .2 pounds and I find this very helpful.