Is this group active?

Options
PwrLftr82
PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
Looking for lifting ladies, but this group is...kinda dead. Is anyone active in this group?!

Replies

• Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am trying but it is quiet in here. I am new so not sure what to expect.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I am trying but it is quiet in here. I am new so not sure what to expect.

Yeah, I had high hopes, but now I just feel sad :'(
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's quiet... Joined a few weeks ago. People so respond but usually takes a couple of days.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Well, I'm here, so if you have any questions, ask away!
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    Yeah! I got me some questions girlee!!

Ok - 5x5 - any one here have experience with that?

Keto - any experience with that?

I am thinking about adding both of these to my current get fit/stay fit plan but do not know much about them yet. I am doing well in the gym with basic free weights, machines, and various cardio but want to move towards my ultimate goal which is to be lighter, super fit, and ready to kick butt on the mountain this winter :)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    there's a group for keto.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    what questions about 5X5?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Yeah! I got me some questions girlee!!

Ok - 5x5 - any one here have experience with that?

Keto - any experience with that?

I am thinking about adding both of these to my current get fit/stay fit plan but do not know much about them yet. I am doing well in the gym with basic free weights, machines, and various cardio but want to move towards my ultimate goal which is to be lighter, super fit, and ready to kick butt on the mountain this winter :)

Re: 5x5

When I started lifting a couple of years ago, I used StrongLifts 5x5. It's a great beginner program. If you're a little more experienced, you could try IceCream 5x5, but StrongLifts is a good place to start to learn the basic lifts.
  • Surfingbodi
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you all!!! Have seen the strong lifts page and will go back to it now. I am concerned about my form and getting hurt doing it alone. Have any of you taught yourself 5x5 without a live person to give you feedback on form, etc? Do you have other women you lift with or???

Will look for the keto group. Interesting idea.

Cheers,
    Gari
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! Have seen the strong lifts page and will go back to it now. I am concerned about my form and getting hurt doing it alone. Have any of you taught yourself 5x5 without a live person to give you feedback on form, etc? Do you have other women you lift with or???

Cheers,
    Gari

I taught myself the lifts for 5x5. There are a ton of form demonstrations on YouTube. Grab any by the bigger names in lifting, like Mark Rippetoe. He's got a bunch of videos out there on the mechanics of the bigger lifts, what to do, what not to do (and why). Some are a little academic, but extremely valuable.

Also, if you can, lift in front of a mirror. This can help with some form and give you something to focus on, so you don't slouch.

You can also record yourself and get feedback from online forums both here and elsewhere.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Cheers,
    Gari

You can also record yourself and get feedback from online forums both here and elsewhere.

Definitely record yourself and post.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts - I started out having a couple of sessions with a trainer - both to show me the lifts with the right form and to give me confidence to enter the free weights section.

It was what I needed - but many others go it alone from day one.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    Wow wow wow! This is great and thank you so much. I just wanted to be sure as I already have a torn ACL and by asking around and doing some research and getting a good physical therapist on board I have had an amazing experience and never had surgery. I have really strong legs in general and want to be at least somewhat informed before I begin. I am thrilled!

Now what do you recommend for forums to join on here where me being a newbie will not bug but where I can progress with others, especially women? I did join the Eat, Train, Progress one last night.

Yippeee!
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Wow wow wow! This is great and thank you so much. I just wanted to be sure as I already have a torn ACL and by asking around and doing some research and getting a good physical therapist on board I have had an amazing experience and never had surgery. I have really strong legs in general and want to be at least somewhat informed before I begin. I am thrilled!

Now what do you recommend for forums to join on here where me being a newbie will not bug but where I can progress with others, especially women? I did join the Eat, Train, Progress one last night.

Yippeee!

Join "Women Who Bulk"
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    Thx pwrftt! Ran a search foe women who bulk but does not take me to forum to join, only thread that is old. Is there a specific way to locate forums different from general search?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Thx pwrftt! Ran a search foe women who bulk but does not take me to forum to join, only thread that is old. Is there a specific way to locate forums different from general search?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/16930-women-who-bulk
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    Ty!