Coconut oil

unfortunately tastes like coconut, not a flavor I favor. When I used to to pan fry some potatoes for the fam, the whole house (to me) smelled of coconut.

I put some in a smoothie today, with almond milk and chocolate protein powder and it was okay, but I can't imagine roasting vegetables and such in it.

Going to try adding it to my coffee as soon as the milk frother I bought arrives.

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    I felt the same in the beginning. I've gotten used to it so that when I put it in my pan to cook my morning eggs, I lick the spoon. MMM. I do roast my veg with olive oil, though. I just like it that way. I don't particularly notice a "coconut" smell.
  • Coconut oil smells like I'm drinking tanning lotion.

I only use it in my coffee (or broth sometimes) because it's good for the thyroid.

I prefer to cook with animal fats like butter or lard. I'm interested in tallow if I can get my hands on some. If you want to stick to oils use olive even though I've heard mixed reviews on cooking with it. Maybe MTO? You'll have to research that one or someone can chime in.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I generally use olive oil for oven roasting veg, bacon fat for stovetop roasting veg, and butter/bacon fat eggs (butter for fried, bacon fat or combo for scrambled/omelet).

Butter (I switched to Kerrygold, nom) and fried eggs may be one of the most delicious things on earth, and this is why I love the hell out of keto. I eat eggs and butter and bacon and... a bunch of veg, lol
  • I am not a big fan of organic and unrefined coconut oil. I like the cheaper and less "nutty" flavor of the Lou Anne's brand I get at Wally World. I fry everything in it and much milder taste.
    Jerry
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    I love coconut oil , and really when you roast the veggies in it? I don't even taste it... just a very very faint smell/remnant of it. I actually have had people say "Hey, these Brussels are really good! What did you do to it?" They are always surprised to find that they were done in coconut oil. It's the very subtle taste that most people can't quite tell.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I am not a big fan of organic and unrefined coconut oil. I like the cheaper and less "nutty" flavor of the Lou Anne's brand I get at Wally World. I fry everything in it and much milder taste.
    Jerry
    I've only tried Louana's and I've never noticed a taste...I put it in coffee and sometimes cook my eggs with it. But I have nothing to really compare it to!

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    YUP, LouAna has no coconut flavor. I do everything from dipping sauce for meat, frying in it, and fat bombs. It doesn't even have a "hint" of coconut taste. Great stuff, I find it at Wal-Mart & Kroger. It also is the cheapest of all the coconut oils.
  • Me the purest got the unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. Next time I'll go the cheap and dirty route. lol
  • leicesteralex
    leicesteralex Posts: 33
    edited October 2014
    I just use butter. ;)
    Buttered coffee is great especially before I go to the gym or for a run.
    I use 35g butter and a mug of coffee with a pinch of salt and mix it in a blender. It's just lovely
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    BansheeCat wrote: »
    Me the purest got the unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. Next time I'll go the cheap and dirty route. lol

I did this. Next time Wally world

• I have tried the unrefined and organic cocount oil and it is great in my fat bombs and Bullet Proof Coffee. But just too over powering when frying. :)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Coconut is one of those things that is always going to be organic because of it's thick shell, similar to avocado they just don't absorb the pesticides like other fruits do. The difference in the cheap stuff and the more expensive stuff, is in how they extract the oil. I'd rather have my coconut oil without a side of bleach and toxic chemicals, that's why I have the cold-pressed virgin oil. I actually HATE coconut flavored anything. But, I find this oil tastes more like vanilla rather than that fake coconut-y tanning oil effect. But, I do live on an island and we do have an excess of coconuts... so I have that going for me, my coconut oil is locally sourced and processed.
    Just, research how the cheaper coconut oil is extracted before deciding.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I eat mine straight and use the organic, unrefined version. I don't always love the flavor but it gives me great energy and my skin is improving. I swear I have less wrinkles. :smiley: